Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The All-Purpose Flickchart thread

445 posts in this topic

Posted

We should have a flickchart thread for especially difficult choices. I think it would lead to some pretty interesting arguments. Also I take full responsibility for introducing the "life-sapping evil" of flickchart to the forums.

And on the seventh day, Ian rested.

Use this thread to flag up difficult choices you've had to make and the various pros and cons of ranking films in such an OCD way! What's currently your top film? What's currently your bottom-most film? And what decade have you ranked the most often?

Also, why not post your own Flickchart handle on here? It's a given that, in the near future, your list will very much be a work in progress and no-one will seriously think that you regard "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" as the best film of all time. Mine is slothian205.

Posted

Rabidstavros77

Posted

DC20Willsave

My current #1 is American Beauty, worst is currently Sleepy Hallow High.

Posted

gturner321 is the username.

My current #1 is The Shining (1980)

My current worst is War of the Worlds (2005)

I have had my fair share of difficult pairings, unfortunately none come to mind at the moment except maybe Blade Runner vs The Empire Strikes Back.

BTW, if anyone is interested, there is a great youtube channel with three guys having a ton of fun playing on flickchart, Totally Rad Show: VS (and that kid in the middle is Dan Trachtenberg, who's attached to direct Y: The Last Man).

That's all I got for now, I'll be back when I've got more provocative pairings.

Posted

ProfessorFunaki

I seem to be hitting the 'I haven't see both' button a lot these days.

Posted

EchoLeader

My favorite (on purpose) is Disney's Beauty and the Beast, with Star Wars and Empire Strikes back as close 2nd and 3rd.

Posted

I have had my fair share of difficult pairings, unfortunately none come to mind at the moment except maybe Blade Runner vs The Empire Strikes Back.

I thought you said difficult.

Posted

As stated in the Casablanca review, Casablanca tops my chart. And as stated in the most recent CR Lists segment, the very bottom is occupied by The Devil's Rejects with Son of the Mask one place above.

Posted

Oh Brother Where Art Thou at the top. Love actually at the bottom. I wish it'd stop asking me to rank Romeo and Juliet, feels like I get a lot of matches between already heavily compared titles and much less for others.

Posted

So everybody loves Ghostbusters, I saw it once and I hated it.

I thought you said difficult.

I put Blade Runner over Empire but if asked again I think I would pick the latter.

Posted

bobobob100

My hardest so far, Life of Brian vs. Dr Strangelove

Posted

Flickchart is bullshit.

Posted

Duly noted - thanks for playing!

Posted

I tried to use the site very briefly when it first caught on, but I got really tired of sifting through movies I never saw nor cared about. I do wish they had some filter to prevent constantly asking you to rank a bunch of comedy dreck.

Posted

It was only once I got past the 4-500 mark that it started suggesting a lot of movies I haven't seen. I do feel like it would take weeks to accurately sort my entire list, especially since I'm certain the number of films I need to rank stretches into the 1000-1500 range.

Whilst the vs rating method is easy and straightforward it'd be a better list creator if you could just slot the film into the chart yourself without dealing with the matchups.

Posted

Just added Samurai Cop to my list purely so it could be my second worst film just above Love Actually.

Posted

Catwoman vs Transformers: Dark of the Moon. Bad times.

Finally got to 1000 films added. The film that put me over the top? Over the Top!

Posted

Which film won out?

Posted

Transformers. At least effort went into it, misguided though it was.

Posted

Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind vs Fight Club

Posted

I go with Eternal Sunshine. It's a little more emotionally complex and I prefer the overall performances. Very close though, I'm a big Fight Club fan.

Robocop 2 vs Wild Wild West

Posted

Robocop 2. While it fails to be even an iota of the movie that proceeded it, it still has moments of good (and the fucking insane idea of putting a psychopathic drug addict's brain in a killer robot). Wild Wild West is just plain stupid and the most remarkable part is the backstory with.it's giant spider.

Posted

I watched Eternal Sunshine and enjoyed it, but Fight Club is one hell of an important movie. I've got to say Fight Club.

Posted

Eternal Sunshine.

Wild Wild West, just for the sheer ridiculousness.

Posted

I went with Eternal Sunshine, incidentally.

And I LOVE Wild Wild West, unironically. Oh, it's MASSIVELY flawed, but I love it. It is to me what Showgirls is to Will.