The All-Purpose Flickchart thread

slothian

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toy Story legit had me believing it was more possible, nay, probable that toys would come to life and go about their toy business the moment you stepped out of the room for years as a child.

Then again....Jeremy Irons and James Earl Jones vs. Tom Hanks and Tim Allen...

I've not seen Lion King in well over 15, maybe even 20 years. It was the biggest thing in the world the year it came out, but Toy Story has more staying power and is genuinely very funny.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Significant on a technical level, culturally important given the amount of licensed characters used within (featuring some vinal performances from noted voice actors), a superb central performance from Bob Hoskins which really helped his mainstream career, a terrifying villain in Judge Doom, a fantastically well-crafted and intricate screenplay of what is essentially a detective noir and, for a generation of perverts, Jessica Rabbit.

Fantasia's way up there on my Flickchart (somewhere is the 20s, I think), but kind of like a sketch comedy, it can be hit or miss depending on which animated short you're watching. WFRR is in/around my Top 10.

All of those are very valid and reasonable points.

That said, I prefer dinosaurs, Greek mythology, and fantasy to pulp, classical music to jazz, the Devil (or Chernobog, or whatever Disney wants to call him) to Judge Doom, and full frontal to perpetual side-boob any day.

On a more objective (and less pervy) note, even the weakest Fantasia segment (Ave Maria) is better than "Smile, Darn Ya Smile". Even so, Roger Rabbit's in the 11 to 20 range on my FlickChart.

It's a year and a week and a day since I set this thread up, so I'm going to take stock of my stats:

Top 10

1. Casablanca
  2. Let the Right One In
  3. The Blues Brothers
  4. Network
  5. Some Like It Hot
  6. A Clockwork Orange
  7. Who Framed Roger Rabbit
  8. Children of Men
  9. Robocop (1987)
  10. Stop Making Sense

Bottom 5

• Doctor Who: Planet of the Dead
  • Aliens vs Predator: Requiem
  • Catwoman
  • Son of the Mask
  • The Devil's Rejects

Films on chart: 665

Most ranked decade: 2000s

It's a work in progress...

It's another year and a week and a day! Let's see how things have changed....

Top 10

1. Casablanca
  2. Let the Right One In
  3. The Blues Brothers
  4. Network
  5. Some Like It Hot
  6. Psycho
  7. A Clockwork Orange
  8. Gravity
  9. Roman Holiday
  10. Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Bottom 5

• Doctor Who: Planet of the Dead
  • Aliens vs Predator: Requiem
  • Catwoman
  • Son of the Mask
  • The Devil's Rejects

Films on chart: 724

Most ranked decade: 2000s (222)

Not a massive difference although I have yet to rewatch either my Top 4 or Bottom 5 since the last tally

• 4 weeks later...

Shrek 2, which is just awful.

Care to elaborate?

I'm actually leaning more towards Shrek 2. While it's less heartfelt than Toy Story 2, I think it's a lot funnier and that it jettisons many of weaker aspects of the first film (namely the toilet humor and the obvious fuck-yous from Katzenberg to Disney/Eisner). In contrast, one of the few major problems with Toy Story 2 are moments where it says "HEY! Remember the first film? You loved the first film, didn't you? Let's play You Got a Friend in Me again, only this time as second-rate covers!"

Edited by You Know Who

Care to elaborate?

I'm actually leaning more towards Shrek 2. While it's less heartfelt than Toy Story 2, I think it's a lot funnier and that it jettisons many of weaker aspects of the first film (namely the toilet humor and the obvious fuck-yous from Katzenberg to Disney/Eisner). In contrast, one of the few major problems with Toy Story 2 are moments where it says "HEY! Remember the first film? You loved the first film, didn't you? Let's play You Got a Friend in Me again, only this time as second-rate covers!"

OK, bear in mind I'm going from memory from when it was in the cinema, but my problems with Shrek 2 were as follows:

- Too many characters. Introduced far too many new characters whilst retaining a number of supporting characters from the original.

- Moved from the status quo too quickly, plot-wise. From the true love of Shrek & Fiona being almost immediately tested and found wanting, to Donkey abandoning his Dragon mate, who doesn't reappear until the end of the film.

- Puss in Boots does nothing for me as a character.

- Bonnie Tyler's "Holding Out For a Hero" is a profoundly jarring choice of song to accompany the final showdown for a film aimed at kids.

- Whilst I was underwhelmed when I first heard Toy Story was getting a sequel, it was at least couched as an original concept (if you overlook the Jim Henson show "The Secret Life of Toys"). Shrek is framed as a fairytale - how may fairytales have sequels?

It's probably due a rewatch, but I found it a stepdown from the first Shrek movie, whereas I thought Toy Story 2 was not a marked stepdown from its predecessor. Hell, ask me on another day and I might say Toy Story 2 had a more interesting plot than Toy Story, although the latter would still win due to how groundbreaking it was/remains today.

New choice: Star Wars: The Force Awakens v X2: X-Men United

Care to elaborate?

OK, bear in mind I'm going from memory from when it was in the cinema, but my problems with Shrek 2 were as follows:

- Too many characters. Introduced far too many new characters whilst retaining a number of supporting characters from the original.

- Moved from the status quo too quickly, plot-wise. From the true love of Shrek & Fiona being almost immediately tested and found wanting, to Donkey abandoning his Dragon mate, who doesn't reappear until the end of the film.

- Puss in Boots does nothing for me as a character.

- Bonnie Tyler's "Holding Out For a Hero" is a profoundly jarring choice of song to accompany the final showdown for a film aimed at kids.

- Whilst I was underwhelmed when I first heard Toy Story was getting a sequel, it was at least couched as an original concept (if you overlook the Jim Henson show "

New choice: Star Wars: The Force Awakens v X2: X-Men United

Force Awakens. I really dislike Bryan Singer superhero films, X2 in particular. 

Will get to Shrek 2 later. I apologize for being so short (especially on Christmas).

• 4 weeks later...