Episode 39: Edward Scissorhands

RSS

Shana and Mike tackle what is easily one of Tim Burton's finest pictures: Edward Scissorhands. Listen as the husband explains why it took him over 20 years to see the movie a second time, as the wife pines over Johnny Depp, as they both extol the talents of Dianne Wiest and Danny Elfman, and as they lament the lack of feedback. [ 1:13:00 || 35.5 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/forbetterorworse/episodes/forbetterorworse_039.mp3

The two of you had a hard task with this, since Edward Scissorhands is quite possibly my favorite non-superhero movie. When you said that you weren't going to change much of the plot, just streamline things a bit I wasn't so against that idea. While I really don't want to see a remake of this, since I don't think there's any team out there like Burton-Elfman-Depp at the top of their game. You made some really good choices, though, I especially like Guillermo del Toro directing.

Hey guys, good episode.

I differ in my interpretation of the setting, instead of being 60's or 80's I see it as being set in the American myth of suburbia. The community is classically clean and wholesome in that American ideal, so whilst the overall setting embodies the 60's-like setting, they retain modern amenities. It's all designed to clash with the gothic style and in that clash reveal that neither myth is a true reflection. I wouldn't place it in a literal setting because no one place or time embodies the totality of the ideas.

Not that fairy tales can't exist in a real world time or location, just look at Mikes choice of Del Toro for that, but the clash of themes is so integral to how I see this movie that removing or changing elements of that weakens the story for me.

PS please cast Peter Beardsley in your Casablanca remake.