The Flash

KnightWing

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a great episode. I liked what little we saw of Matt Letscher before, and I thought he had the supervillainy down cold here. "You're dead." "Good to know"; him spitting in anger  when giving his origin; his gloating when Barry had to let him go. Candice Patton and Shantel VanSanten really got to shine in this one, both giving genuine emotion to scenes that are well worn. The Francine plotline started off too melodramatic, but Candice helped it end on a good note. The line "it would've been great to fight crime during the day and be with you at night" should have been goofy, but Shantel sold it. I thought Patty was too much of a thinly veiled attempt at recreating Felicity at first, but the character's really grown on me, and I hope we see her again. I appreciated that, from her working crime scenes to the date to her figuring out The Flash's identity, she was always smart.

I really wasn't grooving on last week, but this episode slapped me the in the face with its awesomeness again. That's the trend with this second season. Not every episode has to be perfect, but whenever I worry that the show rests too much on its laurels, the next episode is immediately back to form.

The Reverse-Flash was excellent. I love that the comic-book origin of Thawne was kept intact from the Return of Barry Allen, and Matt Lescher rocked it. This is one of the greatest super hero/super villain rivalries in comics brought to screen of all time. The fight scene between the two was so awesome. I was gettin' mad DBZ vibes from the super punches to the gut.

Everything in this episode was great. Candice Patton nailed it as she reliably does when given the chance. I LOVED the scene in the hospital, that for me was on par with some of Jesse L.'s dramatic moments. I also love seeing her interact with Wally more, especially when he wanted her to accompany him to see their mom. I was really worried that the Wally sub-plot was being meant mainly for Joe, so I'm happy to see those fears alleviated.

I was a little iffy on the..."epilogue" (?) of the Patty plot because it seemed pretty over in the last episode, and here it was just drawn out more and more but I like that the shift went from Barry's angst to her frustration. You can't help but like her dogged determination and guile once she figures out Barry's secret.

All of the actors just killed in this episode. From top to bottom. This is one of the most capable super hero show casts I've ever seen. Favorite moment was when Cisco was seizing and Wells, Barry and Joe are all screaming at each other. You cut to Caitlin and her jaw is just dropped from awkward speechlessness. That was unintentionally hilarious.

Finally I think we've found out who Zoom must be with the Hunter Zolomon thing. My brain exploded when that dropped, but it's a great twist and use of the Earth-2 gimmick.

A pretty straight forward episode this week. Nothing stupendous but perfectly serviceable with the show's charm in its actors getting shown off. The scenes between Barry and Wells were great. Most of the Cisco and Barry banter felt really ad-libbed, which worked well for how rudimentary the plot was. Like at this point Team Flash is so familiar with how the needs of the show manifest themselves, their commenting on it was pretty funny. Solid development between Team West was cool as well. I'm liking how Wally's constantly conflicted, never just out-and-out angry.

Tar-Pit seemed like GIGANTIC rip-off of classic Static villain Tarmac. I understand he's a Johns villain created for Wally, but with the Particle Accelerator explosion more and more resembling the Big Bang in Dakota, I'm sorely tempted to scream "RIP-OFF" and leave it at that. 

The Barry/Wells part felt off to me. One of the background parts of this season is Barry holding onto his hatred of Wells/Thawne and being reminded of him by Wells-2. With Thawne coming back last episode, it should've gotten worse. I get the idea that he was in the mindset of reaching out to a former mentor in the wake of Patty leaving, but it just didn't make any sense with the rest of the season. 

Tar Pit tying back to the B-plot felt contrived (I wish they had just let Iris be on her own), but it made for a great Flash scene; they really have their use of visual effects down to a science. 

I didn't think of the Particle Accelerator-Big Bang connection, but you're absolutely right. 

Hidden Content

Tell me about it...

A very fun episode all around, with some twists that managed to be unpredictable.

I will admit to being a Barry/Iris shipper on this show, so much of the time I'm left wondering how these scenes are going to play out in the future, if at all. As I understand the current comics, Barry and Iris are being kept apart so maybe this series will follow that trend (hence why Iris has been given little to do this season). And yet the future does promise that they marry at some point within the next nine years. But I really loved seeing the twists on every character. I liked how no one was similar to Earth-One in any way, and you could tell Grant Gustin must've hit the roof with glee when he got the script for this one that required him to geek it up.

Deathstorm was a cool costume, but Killer Frost was perfectly written and Danielle Panabaker was certainly up to task. I really hope Killer Frost is still in our Caitlin's future, as it'd be a complete cop-out if it wasn't. In fact, this could potentially set in motion a lot of things that could logically happen down the line, like Joe's death. Speaking of whom, that intro sequence of him crooning is now one of my favorite moments ever.

Gotta love the fan service, from the simple ones like the phone indexes for Hal, Diana and Bruce, to the John Wesley Shipp Flash (glad to see that solidly confirmed as an AU to this show) and...was that Conner Hawke I saw???

I've always liked Grant Gustin, but between the speech about how much he hates Thawne and that phone call, he's grown so much as an actor this season.

I guess we should call this Earth-2.5, because there was some Earth-3 stuff going on. I really liked how Earth-2 Barry's life was built up to be perfect, with being married to Iris and his mom still being alive, but the most important relationship in Barry-1's life, between him and Joe, was non-existent. Deadshot-2 was totally unexpected and really fun. Killer Frost gave Danielle Panabaker the most she's had to do this season, which was great, but we also got reminded that Caitlin-1 is pretty much all about Jay. The back and forth between Vibe and Reverb made me realize how much Cisco's grown on me, mostly because of Carlos Valdes. 

So it looks like Zoom isn't Earth-2 Barry like they've been hinting towards, which is a nice swerve. With the man in the iron mask that we see, I'm returning to my original hope that it's Eddie, with the man in the mask being Eddie-2 and Zoom having taken his identity. 

I'm glad Zoom isn't Earth-2 Barry, of all the suspects that was always the least interesting to me. I'd rather be evil Henry, Joe (not anymore), Wally or anyone else. But what were the hints to it being Barry this season?

Going back to Valdes, yeah he's really grown on me as well. His acting as Reverb was pretty evil, but effectively evil. Not Cisco putting on a show.

Well, we got Jesse "Legendary" Martin singing on the show. Time to pack it up, we're done here.

As has been said, Barry calling his mom is heartbreaking. I didn't catch the names on the phone until it was pointed out to me.

I hope we get to see Shipp's Barry on this show, maybe in Season 3. It'd be interesting to see what he's been up to.

I'm still not too hot on Panabaker and Robbie Amell. Valdez really sold the hell out of Reverb though. And Earth-2 Iris was great.

Pretty ho-hum on this one. The Zoom stuff was great, from him wrecking shit to telling people what order he's going to kill them in to beating the crap out of Barry. I like how they've let Zoom be in the background and then come out with bursts like this that really sell him as the being that could hold a city hostage with terror. These are the times Tony Todd really gets to shine with his voice. The resolution to the Earth-2 story was pretty safe: appeal to the villain who you know as a good person, have one doppelganger encourage another, etc. They got a lot of heart out of the parallel worlds concept last episode, but this one felt hollow. The man in the iron mask's message being "Jay" adds an interesting wrinkle, thinking the reveal will definitely deliver.  

The story on Earth-1 was still a drag. Iris' editor had a pretty reasonable point, especially since it was one Iris learned in Season 1. The guy playing Geomancer is playing the super-villain like a Saturday morning cartoon take on a super-villain. Jay getting stabbed and taken through the portal fits with the horror vibe of Zoom, but it was so telegraphed.