Round 3: Nick Marshall v Robbie Gould

Missy

The Douchies  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Who: Nick Marshall

Actor: Mel Gibson

Movie: What Women Want

Douche move(s): Uses his newfound psychic powers to sabotage a coworker, is sexists, and is played by Mel Gibson.

Who: Robbie Gould

Actor: Max Cantor

Movie: Dirty Dancing

Douche move(s): Cheats on his girlfriend, gets someone pregnant, and ignores those responsibilities with relish.

This was a tough one for me, as I have seen Dirty Dancing but not What Women Want and had no desire to subject myself to the whole thing. I decided to see the Movie Clips excerpts from it on YouTube, and it only took this one to convince me to vote for Marshall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCtMlhZskDE

I don't think he's repulsed by Flo because of her vulgar comments or because he doesn't find her attractive. I get the impression he backs away from her and elects to walk because a black person finds him attractive. Ergo, he's a racist, which I don't remember Max being.

Within the context of the movie, Nick's just woken up with his new powers. So it's not that he backs away from Flo for any racial reasons, but because he's yet to understand what's happened to him.

Indeed, I have subjected myself to this film and that's pretty much the case.

I've null voted this one as Nick Marshall is a COLOSSAL douche, but Robbie sounds like a worse person through his actions. But I've not seen Dirty Dancing.

I'm in the rare position of having seen both of these and it's a difficult call.

If there's a clear difference in terms of what's seen on screen then Nick Marshall at least attempts to right some wrongs and learns a lesson, whereas Robbie's learned nothing and has actively made things worse. Within their worlds they both have power and both exploit it and others, Nick having the advantage of magic powers.

For me this comes down to the sheer weight of "douche-itude". Nick Marshall has had a life time of being a douche and by the end of the film has seen the error of his ways. Robbie is a young douche with a high douche-potential for the future. Might Robbie change his ways by the time he is Nick Marshall's age? In the film he, like Nick Marshall, also seems oblivious to other people's true opinion of him unless directly told (see angry Swayze and Baby's dad's realisation). In my opinion he's not going to stop being a douche unless he too gets magic powers from female cosmetics and electricity, so I vote Robbie - a Nick Marshall for the future.

Great argument, Pandy. I'm going with Nick, though. In terms of lives ruined throughout the course of the movie, we can actively say that both are equal offenders. However, because Nick has taken on the role of a father, he has obligated himself to position of responsibility. Robbie has actively denied that role with regards to Penny, at least being honest about his douchery. For me, any time you actively take on a responsibility, especially to a child, you are and should be held accountable for your actions. Taking advantage of women will undoubtedly shape the way Nick's daughter view the world (not to mention Marissa Tomei's view of it now) and therefore, his influence is far more despicable to me than a rich frat boy's excursions. Even as a college girl I knew to stay away from them. Take that boys. Take that.