Supergirl

JackFetch

I enjoyed it. Hoechlin made for a great Clark and a serviceable Superman, but damned if scenes of Clark running down an alley pulling his shirt open don't give me goosebumps.

The end of the Kara/James thing was abrupt and curious considering all the time they spent on it last season, but frankly, it never worked as well as they wanted it to, so while they could have done it a lot more naturally, I'm not upset that they're gonna move on.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked this episode a lot. Maybe it was because of Superman, but both premiere episodes of the second season have been fast paced, action heavy comic stories that I found to be very entertaining. My second biggest problem is probably Metallo being made into a henchman, then duplicated. I actually found the second Metallo to be more of an intense actor, and am glad he went up against Superman at the end. The fight between the two of them and MM was pretty cool for what we got to see of it.

My biggest problem, in a stunning-not-stunning comeback, is Wynn. HOLY FUCK was this man annoying. As ever it comes down to the writing and not Jeremy Jordan's performance, but the characterization over all was painful. He was more of a Chloe/Cisco/Felicity clone now more than ever, and that's saying quite a lot.

But I liked pretty much everything else in the episode. The Snapper Carr presentation is really weird because...I know that's not Snapper Carr, but the actor was good. Even though it was reminiscent of the Barry/Tom Felton relationship going on in the Flash right now, Melissa Benoist's dorky flustering made it fun. Jimmy randomly showing up at the end to say "By the way you all work for me now" was weird. Not unearned, just weird. I'll miss Cat Grant, but the writing was on the wall during the announcement of the CW changeover.

We saw more of Tyler Hoechlin's Superman, and he really is very solid. He leaves a little bit to be desired in his Superman if only for the lighter voice, but in no way is he bad. His cown-to-Earth Clark is very very good. They nailed his characterization, especially in the scene with the Fortress with J'onn. I'm very happy with how they've done him. There's been a lot of inevitable talk about how much better this version is than the DCEU's take. I think that's mightily unfair to Henry Cavill, who is a better actor and has proven to have massive goodwill towards the character. It's always been in the writing and specifically with BvS the characterization, but Cavill could do Hoechlin's job better IMO. That being said, Hoechlin has a very natural ease to his Clark in a way which surpasses Dean Cain IMO. Take that for what it's worth.

So yeah, very fun two parter, fuck Wynn.

As ho-hum as usual for me. Winn has moved from being a creepy stalker to being that one friend who talks through everything you watch no matter the context. He would be The Worst if Rip Hunter didn't exist. Cadmus is a mash-up of a lab bankrolled by Smallville's Lex and the "Superman is a god that could kill us all" angle of the Snyder movies. For all the faults of those movies, I buy that angle, but I'll never look at Supergirl and Superman on this show and think they have the weight to make that comparison. Just like last week, the villains are run of the mill, making ominous threats and giving something for the heroes to punch, but not leaving any impression. Kara is running into the same character growth problems as Barry is. After all the Cat Grant speeches from last season, she's better than whining to Cat about how her new boss isn't going to make her a reporter just because she decided she wants to do it. Losing Calista Flockhart is a major blow to the show; so many episodes were made watchable because of her presence. They have to step-up on fleshing out the other characters to fill the void, or else the flaws in the show are going to overtake it. I still like Hoechlin, although I wish his Superman were a little less carefree on the job, just to differentiate from Kara.

• 1 month later...

In a madcap attempt to catch up before the crossover this week, I think this season has become definitively better than the last. There's some weak points, like the Jimmy/Guardian subplot. I don't love "Snapper Carr". Mon-El's a typical CW tool. But the acting has been excellent. Chyler Leigh has been knocking it out of the park in her subplot with Maggie Sawyer. Her monologue at the end of episode 5 was really spectacular and her sense of confusion, frustration and heartbreak is so well done it completely erases the lamer parts of her acting from the last season. Melissa Benoist has done killer work as always, but the scenes between her and Chyler have been given added weight, with more resonant guilt on her side. Some of the dialogue feels a tiny bit PSA, but it doesn't detract from the overall message, and is a good opportunity the show is seizing to help its audience who may be going through a hard time with their sexuality.

Because of course we have to have a wink to the last semisuccessful thing he's done in over a decade, i.e., telling a story to a roomful of college students about a movie he didn't make.

His episodes of TV have been perfectly adequate in that he didn't manage to break their house style, but "hey, remember that time I told that story back in 2001?" is not something he's earned for a long damn time.

Why does he piss me off so much

• 3 years later...

No reason's been given yet, but I'm sure a non-insignificant factor is that the star is pregnant. Adding that to the show's famously slipping ratings and it's not a huge surprise, but a surprise nonetheless. I wonder if Benoist is walking away from it, that being the catalyst. I always figured Flash would end before Supergirl. Still, six seasons is a very respectable run. 

From a story standpoint, Flash could probably hang around for a bit longer, but it should probably wind down sooner rather than later. Barry is arguably the central Arrowverse character now, but that could be reworked. Legends feels like it's running out of gas as well. But with Superman and Lois and Stargirl coming on board, this train still has a little while to go.

I'm sure there's more that can be done with Flash, but they wasted never getting around to a Rogue War season, and they also wasted both Jessie Quick and Wally West.

TBH Flash has ran out (rimshot) its goodwill with me since the fourth season. Once they really locked in trying to tell the audiences to care about the core STAR Labs crew and falling into the same series tropes again and again, it was just a chore. Season 4 was awful, and aside from the crossover eps I've not looked back since.