You Know Who

Christian's paleontology articles on HubPages

I occasionally contribute paleontology-related articles to HubPages. Most (though not all) of all these are about dinosaurs, since I know more about them than any other living or extinct group of organisms. My goal with these is to present dinosaurs and other aspects of paleontology in a manner that is interesting and accessible to laypeople (especially adult readers), but doesn't oversimplify or dumb things down. Any guideline I do my best to follow is to write articles that have no equivalent on Wikipedia (e.g. one all about T. rex or the woolly mammoth).

All my articles (or Hubs) can be found at http://chrshonore.hubpages.com/. Feedback and even suggestions for future articles would be most welcome.

Rjoyadet   

I would like to see a "Top 5 myths of palentology." I do not mean things like young earth Creationism or anything that could cause a flame war. I mean things like "the direct descendant of the T-Rex is the chicken. When in reality that claim is as valid as "man came from monkeys". In both cases the more valid case is they shared a common ancestor.

Rjoyadet   

Could you identify this dinosaur for me? This is from Volume 17 chapter 6 of Oh My Goddess! By Kosuke Fujishima. I thought it was a mosasaur but it is way too small.

14748315959861276635517.jpg

Edited by Rjoyadet
Frickin auto correct

Rjoyadet   

It does look like a pliosaurus. Considering Belldandy is a goddess, it would totally be within her power to either shrink it or make herself giant.

Dinosaurs of the Year: 2015 Edition

In 2013 and 2014, I wrote an article about the new dinosaurs described (i.e. named and written about scientific literature for the first time) those years. Didn't have time do one for 2015, but the link above is a recap of that year.

The 2016 edition will be published after Christmas but before New Year's.

Edited by You Know Who

Could you identify this dinosaur for me? This is from Volume 17 chapter 6 of Oh My Goddess! By Kosuke Fujishima. I thought it was a mosasaur but it is way too small.

14748315959861276635517.jpg

That's definitely a mosasaur. Not sure the artist was aiming for a particular kind, but it's around the size of Halisaurus or Clidastes (both of which were around 10 feet long).

Edited by You Know Who

In 2013 and 2014, I wrote an article about the new dinosaurs described (i.e. named and written about scientific literature for the first time) those years. Didn't have time do one for 2015, but the link above is a recap of that year.

The 2016 edition will be published after Christmas but before New Year's.

And here it is.

Rjoyadet   

weird ancient invertebrates and turtles

I was going to joke if the palentologists found Gamera, but then I read that one of them is named Alienochelys or Alien Turtle.

My latest article. It's an interview with Peter Dodson, a paleontologist and expert in horned dinosaurs in particular.

Might change the first half of the title later. The best alternative I could think of was "Horns and Halos", but that doesn't work because he doesn't mention angels and only two questions are about religion.

Edited by You Know Who