Episode 36: Mortal Kombat - Annihilation

RSS

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation is a movie that has been on just about every "Worst Movies Ever" list, so why did your hosts wait until their third anniversary show to cover it? Well, what else can really be said about a movie with a jillion characters, an idiot villain, even dumber heroes, and some of the worst dialog in cinema? A lot apparently. [ 2:40:54 || 85.1 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/tranquiltirades/episodes/tranquiltirades_036.mp3

I do not know enough about the MK universe to pick a favorite but you guys did get me curious about it. From Dubs description of Mileena I am reminded of the Kuchisake-onna. A japanese monster that takes the form of a beautiful woman. According to the story she wears a surgeons mask. She goes to children and asks them if they think she is pretty. Regardless of the answer she takes off her mask to show a gaping mouth (and sometimes large jagged teeth) and chases the children.

Here's where the story gets strange.

Even though she is in the pantheon of classic Japanese Monsters known as the Yokai, the story reads like two elementary school kids arguing. Because if someone argues that they can elude their grasp and bite, the storyteller tells them that she runs. Oh and if you think you can outrun her it turns out she has the speed and stamina of an Olympic athlete (some stories even talk about her origins being an champion runner). But even if you claim to use a bicycle or car it turns out she can catch you then. Because she drives a red Ferrari, and will chase you until you are caught.

Even though the story sounds juvenile, I have been told about children who claim to have been attacked by the Kuchisake-Onna in the 1970's and early 2000's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...