Sign in to follow this  
Koete

Riverdale

Agreed. I will admit though, I'm having fun seeing how much more crazy Betty's mom can get. The point a couple of weeks ago when she started laughing about the idea of her husband committing murder was classic.

It has occurred to me though: Jughead is actually more of a suspect than I had thought. I doubt that the entire first season is about how Jughead got away with murder (though that would be fun) but it would be interesting.

Donomark   

No, Polly did it. She's faking her surprise at Jason's death. Betty didn't even say anything when she began crying and knew he had been murdered. She didn't ask how or why or who.

It sure as hell looked like it.

I feel like I'll have a time for detailed thoughts on the first season of Riverdale at a later time but, for the moment, some quick thoughts.

• Almost all of the cast was strong the entire season. There were moments with Archie that made me groan on a regular basis. 13 episodes in and he's still the least interesting person here. While the show never really seemed to realize this, they spent so much time with anyone else that it evened out pretty nicely.
  • I like that they wrapped up the mystery in episode 12, allowing us 13 to have the aftermath. It makes sense that Riverdale would try to cover up it's dirty secrets and it's kind of eerie how the entire town just decides to go along with it.
  • I love how someone in the writer's room realized that everything about the Archie/Miss Grundy subplot was skeevy and they barely mentioned it again, save for the party scene a bit later on in the season. It just got grosser as it went on and I was glad it ended when it ended.
  • I'm kind of sad that Crazy Alice Cooper didn't continue all season.
  • Archie is a fuckwit. Seriously, he spurns Betty for Miss Grundy, then he jumps to Valerie but treats her like rebound, moves to Veronica who sleeps with after nearly breaking up with her so he can try to get together with Betty. Seriously, I was kind of hoping Archie would jump in front of the bullet meant for his father this episode.

Finally, a couple of hopes for next season

• Luke Perry dies, causing Molly Ringwald to return to the series as a regular. She can take Luke Perry's romance subplot also.
  • For the inevitable Halloween episode, either stick to the promise of Afterlife With Archie or bring in Sabrina for an episode.
  • If Betty does go in search of her brother, may he be something totally insane. Hell, maybe he's Miss Grundy. That'll only make everything more weird than it already was.
  • Less Jughead voiceovers.
  • Less Archie.
  • An actual subplot for Josie and the Pussycats outside of, "This is our song of the episode."
  • I haven't seen yet if the show was picked up for a full 22 episode for Season 2 or just 13. I really hope the latter because, honestly, I dread to find out what happens if the drag everything out over an additional 9 episodes.

Donomark   

I gotta say that the last few weeks of episodes turned me around to the show. I still don't think it's..."good"...the scenes of genuine drama and character development tend to last 30 seconds before cutting to the next scene like a soap opera. For a while the show was more "Parentsdale" more'n Riverdale. But the last 4 or 5 eps really highlighted the cast, with the standouts far and away being Cole Sprouse and Camilla Mendes. Luke Perry was alright, but was really one-note throughout the entire season. I hated most of the other parents. I found Betty's parents to be ridiculous and Cheryl's parents to be totally unbelievably camp.

But pretty much the rest of the cast I enjoyed. I liked Cheryl's weird mix between mean girl bullying, and maniacal, incestual stepford sister. Kevin Kellar got better as the season went on, but that was more due to the writing maturing. I can't repeat it enough how godawfully he started off in the show. I liked Josie and Valerie. Betty was good. I liked Archie even though he was a bit player in his own TV show. None of his subplots ever matched the weight of Jughead nearly getting arrested or Betty having a "Big Bad Harv" persona. He was pretty much a slut from the beginning, but I gotta say I LOVED the big scene at the end when he saves Cheryl. That's the best scene in the show, and probably the best Archie-related scene I've ever seen from the franchise.

I'll say though that I HATED the resolution to the Jason Blossom murder. Because I was batting for Polly for almost the entire time. I thought it was blindingly obvious. She just guessed that Jason died without Betty saying a word, never asking how he died. She was barely shown as a character and more as a prop. Plus it would add to Betty's psychodrama. Making it one of the one-dimensional, evil parents does nothing to add to the story except to make the Blossoms one-dimensionally evil. And apparently, the ideas for the killer came down to FP, Hiram Lodge, Betty's dad or Cheryl's dad, meaning it was never going to be one of the kids that did it. I thought that was one of the lamest resolutions to a murder mystery I've ever seen. 

But overall I enjoy the show, but mainly for the LULZ of seeing the Archie gang go through all these wacky dark soap opera plots. 

Dread   

I bought so hard into the camp that I thought

Dark Betty

killed Jason Blossom.

Overall, I cannot say I was bored.  Finished stronger than it started and I'll be along for the second season.  I will echo Will in that I hope it stays at 13 episodes.

Couple things:

Archie is horrible.  Just horrible.  I get that Archie/Betty is the endgame, but it is way too soon to cause problems with Veronica.  Let things breathe a little.

I was looking forward to seeing what this show could be without a murder mystery.  The tensions of Jughead being a Serpent.  The love square.  Cheryl doing something interesting for a change.  Luke Perry V Daddy Lodge.  The obvious Pussycats charity concert to saves Pops from evil Texan oil tycoons with stereotypical oversized hats.  But alas another murder.

A murder, mind you, that I am not convinced will be a murder.  He could live.  Or coma. 

Oh, and that is totally Betty's brother that shot Luke Perry.

Donomark   

Archie is horrible.  Just horrible.  I get that Archie/Betty is the endgame, but it is way too soon to cause problems with Veronica.  Let things breathe a little.

The Betty/Archie/Veronica triangle is one that's only resolved in the Life With Archie series that portrays binary futures where he marries either Betty or Veronica. But traditionally it's never ended with him choosing Betty over Ronnie, even if she's a likely endgamer. Trust me, this time next season he'll be with Betty, and they'll go back and forth as long as the show lasts.