• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Boo! I liked The Croods. Fun stuff.

Martha Marcy May Marlene: Review forthcoming

Justice League Throne of Atlantis: DC Animated still staking its claim at mediocrity. I remember when they used ot make good ones of these. Ironically, not since they've delved into the New 52 continuity. Stinks.

Superman vs. The Elite: still mediocre but far more entertaining than the recent fare. The story's compelling. It's hard to believe that this was adapted so well, and from a single issue comic, no less. Helps, I suppose, that Joe Kelly wrote the script as well. I'm a sucker for The Elite characters. Too bad it appears that JL Elite will never get the animated treatment. This is the first DCA stuff I've seen not voice directed by Romano. It's kind of evident in some aspects. Still a fun time.

Feature Films: 7

Not Another Teen Movie: While not the first of the terrible trend of parody movies of the 2000s, it's still probably the best. While everything is a reference to something else, they don't outright scream what it's a reference to which they would with most of the later ones. Not only that but its still occasionally funny. That said, I would never have guessed that Chris Evans would play Captain America nearly a decade after this one.

Batman: The Movie: I've decided that I want to watch to all the Batman/Superman movies before the year's out. Also listen to the discussion of them from The Show when I get a chance. I love Adam West Batman. It's fun. Is it great? At times though I prefer the series that spawned it much more. Maybe it works better in a slightly shorter format. It was a film made to capitalize on the success of the show. You can't really blame it for that and everyone is still a hoot.

Feature Films: 6

Direct to DVD: 1

The Poor Little Rich Girl (1917) - What's more amazing than the fact that Mary Pickford was 25 when she played an 11 year old girl in this is that there are a number of moments where you buy it completely. That's something that could only be pulled off in the silent era. Not a great movie, but an interesting artifact of the period for that reason.

The Sheik (1921) - One of those exotic Hollywood movies from a different era, where the major characters of other races are played by white actors and the servants are played by black actors. Thankfully, we're past racist casting choices like that. I mean, can you imagine if someone today made a movie that cost over $140 million and made those kind of decisions? Also, I have no idea how Rudolph Valentino became a sex symbol; he's goofy looking and not that good an actor.

The Monster (1925) - An early horror comedy that pioneers many "mad scientist" and "old, dark house" tropes. It follows an amateur detective (in the mode of Buster Keaton from Sherlock Jr.) trying to solve a disappearance that eventually leads him, his love interest, and his rival to an abandoned sanitarium. The comedy aspect is helped by the lead, Johnny Arthur, being very earnest and likable. The film gets a major shot in the arm when Lon Chaney shows up half an hour in. He alternates between being an unsettlingly accommodating host and a menacing mad scientist. One of those actors you just love to watch perform his craft.

Angel Face (1952) - Great little noir, Mitchum is so laid back in this, even when bad shit happens to him. You can figure out what the ending is going to be, but considering the fatalistic quality of noir, it adds to the watching experience. And it doesn't lose any of its impact.

The Moon is Blue (1953) - An adaptation of a play full of frank references to sex that went against the production code, so United Artists released it without the seal of approval. William Holden is an architect and David Niven is a boozy millionaire. They are rivals over the course of one night for the affections of Maggie McNamara, who is upfront about being a virgin and wanting to stay that way. As it's based on a play, Preminger doesn't have a lot of room to display his usual flair, though he does sneak in some striking compositions. Niven is a riot and McNamara delivers an Audrey Hepburnesque performance before Hepburn was a star. Some of the sexual politics of the time will raise an eyebrow, but it's entertaining enough.

The Man with the Golden Arm (1955) - Now this is a film where Preminger gets to show his skill as a director. Between the use of long takes and camera movement, specifically his moving into close-ups rather than cutting, you feel he's in control through the entire film. And such a great cast. The struggle of Frank Sinatra's heroin addicted Frankie Machine to stay clean and start a new life bleeds through the screen. Kim Novak is trapped between two addicts she wants to help, her friend Frankie and her gambler boyfriend. Arnold Stang has a fun character part as Frankie's thief best friend. But the actor that steals the show is Darren McGavin as the drug dealer Louie. He's so slick and seductive, a classic devil in human flesh. After every time he tries to get Frankie to do drugs again, he whistles as he leaves, one last bit of pressure. It's amazing. The one weak link is Eleanor Parker's performance, which is jarringly over the top. But you can draw a reason for those acting choices from the film, so fuck it, there are no major flaws. I mean c'mon, it even has a jazz score by Elmer Bernstein.

Martha Marcy May Marlene (2011) - Review forthcoming.

Under the Skin (2013) - Review forthcoming.

Oculus (2013) - A mediocre horror movie that just ends up being an exercise in misery. I hate those. Karen Gillan is one of the leads, unfortunately struggling with an American accent. The actress that plays her younger self in flashbacks gives the best performance in the movie.

Night Moves (2013) - Three radical environmentalists blow up a reservoir, someone dies as a result, and two of the members slowly crack from the guilt. There's a great shot that embodies the motives of the environmentalists and the last shot ends it on an effective note, but it doesn't add up to much overall.

Housebound (2014) - Review forthcoming.

The Guest (2014) - One of my favorite films during last year's Halloween marathon was You're Next, which drew upon the slasher and home invasion subgenres to make a horror film with brutal, efficient violence and peppered with dark comedy. Wingard and Barrett's follow-up draws upon specific films rather than genres and is almost as great. Discovering which ones they drew on is part of the experience, one that they managed to craft without it feeling like they ripped them off. One of my favorite parts is that the lead is not only from Downton Abbey, but that he owns the film. I was shocked to find out that Dan Stevens is British, because he plays the most All-American guy who ever lived and it's flawless. As an added bonus, the best final line in a long time.

Feature Films: 12

John Dies At The End: Based on the book of the same name, JDatE is not a traditionally good movie, but it doesn't try to be one. It just sets out to be entertaining and fun, which it excels at. Yes, it can have some shaky acting at times, yes, it can have some really shitty effects, and yes, it could have been more faithful to the source material. But all of that really just adds to the charm, in my opinion. I'd recommend it for anyone who wants to watch something that's cheesy, gory and fun.

Films watched: 4

Eraserhead: Well, what can I say that hasn't already been said? This movie is one of the tentpoles of avant-garde filmmaking. And, really, I can't say anything that'll make a lot of sense. I mean, I liked it a lot. But god, this film is really non-linear and full of symbolism.

Films watched: 5

Evangelion 1.11: You Are (Not) Alone: Evangelion is commonly considered one of the golden calves of anime. That said, as much as I like the series, I think the movie re-imagining gets it better. The problem I always had with the series was that Shinji never grew and Rei was a walking plot device. Rei gets a real personality and Shinji... is still a whining prick but I don't hate him as much.

Feature Films: 7

Sword Art Online: Extra Edition: 75% is recap of the series, 10% is framing sequences for the recap, 5% is cheesecake, leaving 10% for something that might be remotely recommendable.

The Interview: I caught it on Netflix last night. It's pretty middle of the road average. I laughed a bit (There's a scene with an Eminem cameo at the beginning that I do love) but it feels so formulaic for the majority. The only thing that keeps it going is the bromance between Franco and Rogan. In better hands, I feel that they could have went for genuine satire. As is, it's a pretty average comedy that would have been easily forgotten if not for the controversy.

Feature Films: 8

Made-For-TV: 1

Wimbledon - Wanted to watch a sports movie, but wanted to avoid the usual sports. Enter the only tennis movie I could think of: Wimbledon. Light and enjoyable enough, but completely disposable. Paul Bettany is enjoyable and the climatic sports scene was well done. The annoyance of this movie is Kirsten Dunst, who is about as wooden as an old school tennis racket. If nothing else, this made me watch Andy Murray's Wimbledon win again. Classic moment that.

Two Night Stand - Based on the plot (Two strangers meet online and have a one night stand. But a blizzard happens and they are trapped together.) I wanted this to be focused solely on the being trapped part. But we get a lead-up which adds very little. And we get a post-trapped ending that I was not a fan of. But the middle part of being trapped was good and I wanted more.

Team America: World Police: Finally watched this for the first time (shut up). Parker and Stone do an amazing job at the satire here.

Tommy Boy: Farley and Spade go on a road trip through the midwest to save his dad's auto parts company. Hilarious and actually kind of sweet little gem.

Team America: World Police: Finally watched this for the first time (shut up). Parker and Stone do an amazing job at the satire here.

Tommy Boy: Farley and Spade go on a road trip through the midwest to save his dad's auto parts company. Hilarious and actually kind of sweet little gem.

Don't worry. I have not seen Team America until recently.

Notting Hill- Vanilla and occasionally painful, but made slightly better by the Lizard, Lord Cranleigh, and Captain Darling.

Albert Nobbs- For such an original premise, there are a few too many cliches and telegraphed moments (plus a lame climax) to make this that good a movie. Close is mostly good, but the story is hurt by scenes where (s)he plots and expositions to (her/)himself. It smacks of being too loyal or not know how to adapt the source material.

Film Count: 3

Attack the Block: It's a nice bit of British sci-fi. While the main characters are a little hard to sympathize with initially, that wore off kinda quickly. It's kinda a mix of alien invasion flick, siege flick, and rag-tag group of kids flick. Plus, it has the black Stormtrooper in Star Wars 7 as the main character.

Films watched: 6

Desecrated: A masterpiece. A true cinematic experience full of amazing performances and incredible photography. Each character, crafted so powerfully, makes you invest emotionally in them so that when they meet their creative and innovative end, you truly feel for the loss. Amazing. All of that was a lie.

Feature Films: 8

Sex Tape - The only good thing about Bad Teacher were the few Diaz/Segel scenes. So I figured I would give this a try. Bad idea. I don't think a single thing worked. I tuned out before the half hour mark. Waste of a free rental.

The Losers - No idea why this popped into my head yesterday, but I figured that was a good enough reason for a rewatch. I really liked it the first time, but I felt it was missing something upon this viewing. Cannot quite put my finger on what that is, but something.

The Losers - No idea why this popped into my head yesterday, but I figured that was a good enough reason for a rewatch. I really liked it the first time, but I felt it was missing something upon this viewing. Cannot quite put my finger on what that is, but something.

You were missing Groot and Rocket.

Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion: I love this movie. I still have no clue why. Maybe I just love the chemistry between Lisa Kudrow and Mira Sorvino.

Mr. Jones: If you're going to make a found footage film, stay committed to that. Don't weasel out in the last 20 minutes or forget that you were doing that up to this point.. Also, try to create a plot that anyone with half a brain can begin to make sense of. But, here's the biggest problem: If you're going to become a sequel to Manos: The Hands of Fate at the last fucking moment, you'd better be able to compare to Manos. If you can't, then I'm sorry, you're fucked to begin with.

Feature Films: 10

Made-For-TV: 1