Ghostbusters Thread

Venneh

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm oddly not really bothered by them doing a new one. There's been two cartoons, video games, comics; it's not like they're just now crossing the franchise bridge. I was snarky earlier, but that's just because there are some favorite comedic actresses I'd rather see in it. Like Preston said, it's a solid cast. It could work.

If they can break new ground, I will be all over this. If they just make a retread of the original, then I might be a little bit more antsy.

That said, using three SNL currents and alums makes sense since, well, Dan Aykroyd and Bill Murray and, while not SNL, Harold Ramis was deeply involved with SCTV.

I listened to the Cracked podcast that had someone on who read the script. Not only are they not breaking any new ground they are going to over explain every little thing. Including the Ghostbusters logo.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This whole thing is so misguided. Thinking that first movie was anything other than having 3 immensely brilliant comedic actors in the their prime playing off of each other in a complete perfect storm of right place and right time is missing the point completely. That's why the second movie failed. The actual Ghostbusting is so far beyond the point it is not even funny.

It was those specific guys working together at that specific time.

3 immensely brilliant comedic actors in the their prime playing off of each other in a complete perfect storm of right place and right time

Huh, you're right. This movie is doomed to fail because we have four immensely brilliant comedic actors in their prime playing off of each other, not three. That extra actress needs to leave. I'll leave it up to you to pick which one but I'd be careful of Leslie Jones. She might snap you like a twig.

On a serious note, while the main three actors are a large part of why I enjoyed the original film, it's not the only reason. I enjoyed Ernie Hudson, I liked the supporting cast, it's a fucking great premise for a movie and the special effects are top-notch. All in all, this is about even with the original film in terms of everything. I feel no need to pre-judge a movie that hasn't even started principal photography yet.

Ghostbusters 2 was not a failure. It made over 200 million back in the 80s. It did exactly what it was supposed to do.

Yeah. I can see what he means in that people didn't like the sequel nearly as much, but the film can't be described as a failure.

3 immensely brilliant comedic actors in the their prime playing off of each other in a complete perfect storm of right place and right time

Huh, you're right. This movie is doomed to fail because we have four immensely brilliant comedic actors in their prime playing off of each other, not three. That extra actress needs to leave. I'll leave it up to you to pick which one but I'd be careful of Leslie Jones. She might snap you like a twig.

On a serious note, while the main three actors are a large part of why I enjoyed the original film, it's not the only reason. I enjoyed Ernie Hudson, I liked the supporting cast, it's a fucking great premise for a movie and the special effects are top-notch. All in all, this is about even with the original film in terms of everything. I feel no need to pre-judge a movie that hasn't even started principal photography yet.

tumblr_m1fssda8RK1rriej9o1_500.gif

While 2 is not as good as 1, it still has it's highlights. Vigo is one of my favorite villains, the mood slime is an interesting concept and I like how they use it to resolve the plot. More than that, I like that the time between movies wasn't static, that history still happens. Plus Rick Morranis was pretty good.Does it have misfires? Yes but it's far from a failure.

• 2 weeks later...