Legion

Dread

Legion is one of those X-Men characters that I've always liked in small doses but I feel like there is the potential for people to take things wrong with it's reflection of mental illness. I mean, they have the right definition for schizophrenia there.

Yeah, if anything, he has multiple personality disorder.

They'll really neuter him for TV I think.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Three episodes in and I want to say I like the show, but I don't. It's trying so hard to be smart that it just ends up being hard to follow. Seriously, if you turn your attention away for just a few seconds you might be lost when you look back. The one thing that surprised me that I did end up liking was Aubrey Plaza. I am not a fan of hers but she is really good as a crazy person and isn't her usual annoying character she plays in everything. There are no tie-ins with the X-Men at all. The evil demon guy reminds me of John Leguizamo as the Clown/Violator in Spawn and it just makes me laugh every time it is on screen. 

• 4 weeks later...

Watched the first four episodes today.  And it's interesting.  The fractured nature of the storytelling has a point in that 'he's crazzy~!' and all that.  But it can be really difficult to follow at times.  The two leads have a very awkward chemistry, which again, I think is the point.  It just isn't that enjoyable.  And I don't really know what I was hoping from this series, but this feels like it is taking forever to move along.   I have the next two episodes ready to go.  I'm still interested enough to continue with them, but that might be my jumping off point.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I watched the first five episodes in the span of roughly 30 hours about ten days ago.  Came back around to watch episode six and holy fuck was that a mistake.  Not the episode itself, which I think is par for the course (with bonus weird dance Bond opening for some reason), but the show in general.  I had forgotten just how 'different' the show is and it took me awhile to adjust.  And I don't think I did.

I'm out until the season is over.  Still interested enough to finish the season at least, but I think I need to watch it over a few days rather than week to week.

Randomly: Is this set in current time?  I'm getting a big 1977 vibe and don't know if I'm supposed to. 

• 3 weeks later...

I was unaware that the season was only 8 episodes.  So I watched the last two today.  And they may have been the most straightforward of the season.  And I still really do not know how I feel about this show.  Really feels like it slipped into style over everything.  They Bond sequence, the silent movie and the Pink Floyd all felt inserted just to be weird.  I have no idea.  Polly in for a season 2, but maybe not weekly. 

• 1 year later...

So, I've had season two just sitting here since it aired.  Didn't want to watch week to week and then I wanted to watch other things first.  Finally thought 'Right, it is only 11 episodes, it is a rainy weekend, let's just kill the season and move on.'  And I watched one episode after college football yesterday and I cannot muster up whatever to continue today.  And it is not like it is all that different than season one.  It is still the 'Wacky, Crazy, Smart' show, but cranked up a couple of levels.  This requires a level of concentration that I simply cannot provide in a marathon type situation.

• 2 weeks later...

Predictably, to me at least, I finished season 2.  Judging from my last post, it took me about two weeks to watch 11 episodes.  And that is a thing with this show.  I never felt compelled to watch an episode.  And each episode did not encourage another.  It is just so slow.  The episodes are only an hour, but they felt so much longer.  I really don't know what to say about it. 

I will note that the first five or so minutes of the last episode are straight out of a Shadow King / Professor X comic book battle.  It did not make up for everything else, but it looked cool.