Star Trek: Discovery

CBS has greenlit a new series, set to debut in 2017, the first episode airing on CBS before moving to CBS's online paid service. Alex Kurtzman is developing and it's been reported a few other places that it won't have any relation to Star Trek Beyond so hopefully that means this is taking place in the original timeline.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CBS has greenlit a new series, set to debut in 2017, the first episode airing on CBS before moving to CBS's online paid service. Alex Kurtzman is developing and it's been reported a few other places that it won't have any relation to Star Trek Beyond so hopefully that means this is taking place in the original timeline.

That was what was worrying me when I first read about it.

We'll see how this goes and it'd be cool if it was a post Dominion War series but honestly as long as it takes that Star Trek formula and breathes a little life into it I'm cool with whatever universe they set it in. . Casting and concept is key, you don't want to wind up like Voyager and Enterprise, with two or less decent characters and wallpaper or worse for the rest. And they should probably wait until at least episode 5 to flat out remake an old script.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll admit, I'm also happier with it getting pushed back so I'm only getting an extra two months of CBS All-Access than I normally do.

For anyone who looking to get the show legally in the states, CBS Access will almost always have a promo for the first week free though they occasionally do a free month. Just cancel before it's up.

From the rushed effects in the teaser trailer to the lack of a cast to it being pushed back to zero promotion for the 50th anniversary, it seems CBS is treating Star Trek TV as an afterthought. If we see another delay, my guess is CBS will let the show quietly die in preproduction.

I think they caught themselves somewhat flat footed but they've got international distribution in place, I doubt they'll let it fade away. Announcing new Star Trek is no small thing, they have to follow through. 

Yeah, I have to think they've spent enough money at this point that something will happen eventually.

However, Trekkie fandom is not the howling, shrieking, terrifying beast that Paramount must appease at all costs that it was years ago. A four-month delay back when, say, DS9 and Voyager were still on would have generated a rage that blocked out the sun and Paramount/CBS would have been in disaster recovery mode well before the announcement went out. This has been greeted with "Oh, that's too bad. May, then." Even at this point, a May premiere only gives them eight months to cast, produce, market and air a series that doesn't seem to have had a lot of work done on it yet. It'll come out, but no one seems to be giving it a lot of effort and if CBS can't sell streaming subscriptions based on it (which, make no mistake, is the sole reason this thing is happening), it'll quietly go away.

From the rushed effects in the teaser trailer to the lack of a cast to it being pushed back to zero promotion for the 50th anniversary, it seems CBS is treating Star Trek TV as an afterthought. If we see another delay, my guess is CBS will let the show quietly die in preproduction.

I said somewhere else that launching a show the week of the 50th anniversary would have been a ratings slam-dunk and a coup for sci fi TV. EVERYONE would have watched it, with just a modicum of advertising. Too bad.

Yeah, that was a very odd decision on their part. Do they currently have other shows that are exclusive to Access?

In addition to Discovery, they'd announced a spin-off of The Good Wife that was supposed to being in the Spring as well as a Fall Edition of Big Brother that is exclusive to All Access. I know that probably more than half of their current subscribers are people who use it for the Live Feeds. If it gets delayed to the Spring, oh well, instead of waiting until sometime in March to cancel my current All Access subscription, I cancel in November and start up two months earlier than I would normally next year. Really, CBS is trying. They just need to concentrate more on getting a good product at this point.

Edited to add: CBS pushed up The Good Wife spin-off to premiere in February so it looks like their strategy is to have at least one program running each season to give people a reason to be subscribing.

Edited by dc20willsave