Today I Played

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the No Mercy post too. I thought this observation was especially good:

How do you accurately portray a scripted dramatization of a real fight? At its core, a wrestling game has to somehow be an authentic reproduction of a fake reproduction of something real.

Looking back, as much as I loved No Mercy, Smackdown vs. Raw 2006 for PS2 is probably my favorite wrestling game ever.

I liked the No Mercy post too. I thought this observation was especially good:

How do you accurately portray a scripted dramatization of a real fight? At its core, a wrestling game has to somehow be an authentic reproduction of a fake reproduction of something real.

Looking back, as much as I loved No Mercy, Smackdown vs. Raw 2006 for PS2 is probably my favorite wrestling game ever.

I have a friend who is introducing me to wrestling (starting with the creation of the N.W.O.). Now whenever I tell friends and family that I am getting into wrestling and people will tell me:

"You know its all fake."

I may use the Cubs player suddenly revealing himself to be playing for the Red Sox analogy to explain why I am now a fan.

I prefer asking them what their favorite TV show is and then responding "you know that's all fake, too?"

Good observation. Also, professional wrestling gave up the pretense of being anything other than fiction many years ago.

Do you have a list of what consoles you will be playing games on? Can we request observations on certain games, like we do requests for the Tranquil Tirades?

Sure.  I have access to everything before the current gen, so no XBone, PS4, Wii U games.  That won't change this year unless I suddenly get a torrent of donations from readers.

Anything before that is fair game though.  Obviously, the shorter the game, the quicker I'll be able to get to it.

• 2 weeks later...

It would probably just be a series of whatever letters are typed by my head resting on the keyboard in boredom, honestly.

I do intend on getting out of my comfort zone more in the future though. 

It would also be interesting to see your take on Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass.

I played it, got to the left boss, and never got around to finishing it. I am sure I could have beaten it if I wanted to, I just never got around to it.

It was a fun game, and felt like a Zelda game, but it was very gimmicky. Blow into the microphone to put out a fire, yell at the microphone to activate a sound-sensitive switch, and the entire game was controlled by the stylus. They should have just made a game that was controlled with the buttons on the device.

I never played Spirit Tracks because I had enough of the gimmicky gameplay after the first one.

https://todayiplayedblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/07/day-38-pit-fighter/

As a concept, Pit Fighter was awesome. It actually pre-dated Mortal Kombat in using real people as character models. The grimy atmosphere was unique at the time. But the gameplay was terrible, and (as you said) the SNES port was a poor adaptation of a game that was already bad.

It's too bad this sits next to Manhunt on the "Great idea, poor execution" bench.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If space is a problem (or will be before the year is out, as you said in the most recent Tirades episode) you could switch to Blogspot.

Plus, Wordpress.com has an extra charge for mapping a domain, but Google does not.

Blogspot also allows you to import Wordpress.com posts.

Blogspot has a lot of other issues, unfortunately.  Its search engine visibility, ironically enough, isn't anywhere near as good and it's pretty lacking in the feature department for my tastes. 

For what my goals are (exposure and income), I'm stuck with Wordpress for the time being.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last night, I read your Where's Waldo piece to Shana. She praised it very highly for your seamless ability to switch from a lighter voice to an authoritative one. She also noted it proves you trust your audience to follow where you lead.