Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2

dc20willsave

• 2 weeks later...

That was an amazing experience. It's not going to win any awards but damn is it a fun movie. I had the same stupid grin on my face the whole time that I had watching the first movie. I didn't think they could beat the opening credits of the first one with Quill dancing, but they did. It may not expand on any of the Earthborn Avengers movies, but it sure does expand on the Marvel Cinematic Universe off Earth.

My fresh thoughts:

Stan Lee's cameo made me so happy.

Drax pretty much stole the movie.

Michael Rooker acted his ass off.

Baby Groot should be a merchandising money printing machine.

There is a lot more death and swearing than I was expecting.

I thought they were a little too heavy on the music. Almost every scene was a song. Are they making movies just to sell the soundtrack?

I'm glad we have more backstory to the Ravagers and that they aren't just Yondu's thugs. I'm hoping for a spinoff.

Yondu was definitely my favorite character. Nebula, Rocket and Starlord were right up under him.

I liked it. It took about halfway into it for me to get invested. The humor and overall sensibilities of these Guardians movies is not to my taste. I'll elaborate on the CBFR ep.

I was eh on this. I appreciated the visuals, acting and action, but it was just a little too much for me. The stuff with the space pirates got on my nerves, the nonstop gags left little room to breathe, and I didn't appreciate some stuff about Mantis. 

This was very, very fun. Not as good as the first one, but a lot of that is only because the first one was so unexpectedly awesome.

+1 to the Michael Rooker kudos. He was outstanding.

Old-school Guardians! With Marcellus fucking Wallace as Charlie-27!

I highly enjoyed myself. The comedy beats all happened at the right times and while it's not as good as the original, it's still in the Top-Tier of Marvel films for me, probably just below the original Guardians.

I loved all the little cameos. This is probably the best Stan Lee cameo. But, what I really want to see, is for the Old Ravagers to lead somewhere. Outside of being pretty cool, it's Sylvester Stallone and Michelle Yeoh! If I have a complaint, some of the stuff with both The Sovereign and Ego kind of dragged but ehh.

So, this wasn't better than the first film as far as entertainment is concerned. There's something so pure about that first movie. It's untouchable as far as Marvel movies are concerned. But Vol 2 is a close second.

While it wasn't as balls to the wall fun as the first film, it excelled in its character work. Rocket, Drax, Gamora and Nebula all got the story they deserved. Fucking Michael Rooker stole the movie and was just all-around amazing. Sean Gunn was a delightful surprise too. I felt it was a little heavy on Baby Groot. I also thought that things dragged a little too long at the beginning of the Ego section.

Russell was awesome too and it was a blast to see him de-aged. That was my favorite part of Ant-Man and they did it better here. The look at the new Guardians who will be the team in Volume 4 was fucking awesome. I actually enjoyed the Stan Lee cameo which makes it two out of...what...57 cameos of his?

I was basically crying for the last 20 minutes too. Really dug it.

Edit: for people talking about a Ravagers spinoff, Gunn has gone on record saying he's directing volume 3 and advising, possibly writing volume 4 which will feature an ENTIRELY NEW TEAM OF GUARDIANS. I think that's your Ravagers spinoff.

Also: Glenn Close and Nathan Fillian cut from the film or never in it in the first place?

Edited by Dread