Worst cameos?

You Know Who

Odd question I know, considering that they don't generally influence the quality of a film or TV episode that much, and the ones that get the most attention are the good ones. What in your opinion, though, are the lamest, poorest-executed, or least necessary?

A few of Stan Lee's really miss the mark (see Spider-Man 3), but the worst I can think of Stephanie Meyer in Twilight, since it's so blatant.

I didn't know Stephanie Meyer cameo'd in Twilight. Then again I fell asleep watching it.

I liked the Lee cameo in SM3 because at that point it wasn't a sure thing that there'd be another Spider-Man film. Comic movies were still different back then.

TBH I dunno if any cameos tick me off. Maybe the ASM2 Lee cameo, as that was almost confusing. Or the one where Lee's Hugh Hefner or Larry King for some reason.

That ASM cameo is legit hilarious. The one in Incredible Hulk isn't bad, either. Otherwise, it's gotten ridiculous. "Look, kids! It's Stan!" I don't begrudge him doing them, but they wink at the audience harder and harder with every movie.

Every time M. Night Shyamalan turns up on screen I want to throatpunch him. He doesn't just give himself cameos, but casts himself as important characters that walk onscreen, either explain a problem or do something superimportant, and walk off again. It doesn't help that his acting skills are Tarantino-levels of nonexistent.

Every time M. Night Shyamalan turns up on screen I want to throatpunch him. He doesn't just give himself cameos, but casts himself as important characters that walk onscreen, either explain a problem or do something superimportant, and walk off again. It doesn't help that his acting skills are Tarantino-levels of nonexistent.

Yeah, I wouldn't even call those cameos. They're small roles. By small actors.

The worst cameos are those that make you go "WHO!?" when told who the person is due to the person fading into obscurity.

My favorite comes from a late final season episode of The Sopranos.  Tony and Carm are at the restaurant Vestuvios when the owner, Artie, stops by and tells Tony to check out a customer across the room who he calls "Mangenious" and you see someone sitting at a table, and Tony says "Oh, I should say hello" and that's the cameo.

Here's the thing, "Mangenious" was Eric Mangini, who made a big splash in the world of the NFL by being a "future big time coach" as a member of the New England Patriots staff, and really took off as a New York Jet Head Coach in 2006, which led to being in the New Jersey based Sopranos for a cameo.  Unfortunately he couldn't replicate his initial success and left the Jets in 2008 and had a disastrous run as coach for the Cleveland Browns, and hasn't been a head coach since 2010!

He's been an assistant coach for the San Francisco 49ers since 2013, and Defensive Coordinator since 2015, but a far cry from sustaining the nickname Artie Bucco called him in that decade old Soprano episode, which I wouldn't be surprised would garner a lot of "Huh?  Who was that?  Was that a real guy?" type of comments since.