Bonus 01 - WrestleMania 32 Recap

WrestleMania 32 left a lot of wrestling fans shaking their heads and feeling like they needed to vent. Tom and Kellen were feeling that way themselves, and, joined by The Tranquil Tirades' Damien Wilkens, they pick apart this year's edition of the seven-hour Showcase of the Immortals. [ 1:58:24 || 55.1 MB ]

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Dubs calling Austin "selfish" in the ring.

One of the great inconsistencies of the IWC/Smarks community is calling out one person for being a political power player, yet because another is such an internet darling, or a previous victim of political bull shit, or simply a spotlighted guy on ECW TV, that they'll look the other way, or give excuses.

In Austin's case its stuff like "well, who would work a match with Billy Gunn/Jeff Jarrett when they're in a main event slot?" or "Austin was right to walk out, you can do Austin-Lesnar unannounced on Raw!"

Another "trying too hard to be a smark" trope I loathe is going out of your way to refer to a WWE wrestler as their indy name.  Granted its easy to do on a podcast/radio in a "call a team that moved recently by their  old city/location name by accident" way, but it is the height of snark pretentiousness to do it in a written format.

All that being said, I find it amusing that "Steen vs El Generico" was dropped, though I'm sure more in the lines of "I can't believe an ROH classic feud is continuing in WWE with different names" than "I refuse to dignify Kevin Owens and Sami Zayne," yet refuse to dignify Brie Bella's legally married name by refering to it as Bryan Danielson's stage last name!

Edited by SteveJRogers

One of the great inconsistencies of the IWC/Smarks community is calling out one person for being a political power player, yet because another is such an internet darling, or a previous victim of political bull shit, or simply a spotlighted guy on ECW TV, that they'll look the other way, or give excuses.

In Austin's case its stuff like "well, who would work a match with Billy Gunn/Jeff Jarrett when they're in a main event slot?" or "Austin was right to walk out, you can do Austin-Lesnar unannounced on Raw!"

I'm not entirely sure what point you're trying to make, but I think it's a fair comment to say that Austin was a selfish in-ring worker. If you listen to The Attitude Era Podcast (one which Kellen once helped out), you'll note that Austin would randomly bury Jeff Jarrett in the summer of 1999, or would get in heat-saving stunners on heels after losing at Armageddon 2000 or, particularly, the Three Stage of Hell at No Way Out 2001 which HHH won (barely) but Austin needed to sun the guy, despite knowing he was always going to win at Wrestlemania. I love Austin and what he did for the industry, but I wouldn't call him a selfless wrestler either.

Another "trying too hard to be a smark" trope I loathe is going out of your way to refer to a WWE wrestler as their indy name.  Granted its easy to do on a podcast/radio in a "call a team that moved recently by their  old city/location name by accident" way, but it is the height of snark pretentiousness to do it in a written format.

All that being said, I find it amusing that "Steen vs El Generico" was dropped, though I'm sure more in the lines of "I can't believe an ROH classic feud is continuing in WWE with different names" than "I refuse to dignify Kevin Owens and Sami Zayne," yet refuse to dignify Brie Bella's legally married name by refering to it as Bryan Danielson's stage last name!

You're really overthinking this.

I'm not entirely sure what point you're trying to make, but I think it's a fair comment to say that Austin was a selfish in-ring worker. If you listen to The Attitude Era Podcast (one which Kellen once helped out), you'll note that Austin would randomly bury Jeff Jarrett in the summer of 1999, or would get in heat-saving stunners on heels after losing at Armageddon 2000 or, particularly, the Three Stage of Hell at No Way Out 2001 which HHH won (barely) but Austin needed to sun the guy, despite knowing he was always going to win at Wrestlemania. I love Austin and what he did for the industry, but I wouldn't call him a selfless wrestler either.

My points is more with people on the IWC that will be all "oh so-and-so buries wrestlers all the time, they are so toxic for the business" will look the other way when someone like Austin, who meets a lot of the "protected by the IWC" criteria;

Was held down, specifically by a smark target in Hogan and fired by another in Bischoff, a bit of a smark internet workrate darling in his Stunning days, and was featured heavily on ECW when Paulie had him cut worked shoot promos on what was eating him up inside while on the mend.

You're really overthinking this.

LOL!  Of course, I just thought it was amusing to note here =;)

Wouldn't surprise me though if there were some over the top pretentiousness going on with some blog or podcast, or internet forum poster by calling Brie Danielson Brie Bryan though.

• Missy changed the title to Bonus 01 - WrestleMania 32 Recap