Spider-Man: Homecoming

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's one of the most "This Is the Movie" trailers I've ever seen. I can't watch it again until after I see the film.

This isn't Spider-Man. Like, really at all. He's the MCU butt monkey, as opposed to the company's best character. But I'm too much of a fan to not see it. It looks decent. I look forward to see what Tom Holland will bring to it. But it's not Spider-Man.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went to see it because Tom Holland is so good as this character. I really liked the Spiderman parts. I never ever enjoy high school movies though, and that was something that was always gnawing at whatever excitement I had for this. Now this is purely my own thing in that the genre of high school stories bore the shit out of me. So your mileage may vary, but I was not into that stuff at all.

One of the better Spider-Man films. The performance and writing of Holland's Spidey is probably the best (I still have nostalgic fondness for Maguire, and an admiration for Garfield), but there are things holding me back from calling this the definitive Spidey as of now. Namely, the compromises they had to do for the sixth Spidey movie in 15 years.

There's a lot of having their cake and eating it too here. Peter gets his cool tech from Tony Stark, but he already developed his webbing and basic costume. He wants to become an Avenger, until he decides at the end that he wants to "go small-scale and help out the little guy." People got sick of Uncle Ben so they're not gonna mention him at all, even in a moment where it would be understandable. I wish there was a way to have a Spidey movie without any of the baggage of a shared movie universe or previous movies that define the character in the eyes of the general audience. Of course, this is me realizing I have to temper my fanboy expectations.

I appreciate building up a supporting cast. The Raimi films were pretty much the Pete-MJ-Harry show, with ASM being pretty exclusively about Peter and Gwen, this seems to say that we'll see these characters grow as the movies go on. I did not appreciate most of the treatment of Aunt May though. The only time I felt like she was treated as a person was in the middle of the movie, when Peter was at his lowest point. But she felt like a joke for most of it.

It took them over 50 years, but they finally made the Vulture cool. Michael Keaton and that costume sure help a lot. Made for some cool action scenes that we haven't really seen in the Spidey movies yet (ASM #33 homage AHHHHH). Having the other villains teased or playing minor roles felt right.

I still think serialized storytelling is better for Spider-Man, but this movie did a fair job in having the elements of the mythos and giving them room to grow.

I've got a lot of thoughts that've been swarming in my head since I stepped out of the theater. Overall it was a good movie, mathematically speaking. Tom Holland is terrific. Most of the humor consistently lands. The Vulture as played by Michael Keaton is the best version of a character that I had no time for in the comics. 

This is like BvS in that this movie's intentions are to take the character and put a different spin on him. It's more successful in achieving what it sets out to do, but there are so many things happening that contrast against how Spider-Man has been for the entirety of his history, it's another one of those instances where the masses go "BEST VERSION EVER" and for the life of me I can't say that. It's a little too weird. Where Peter's character is concerned, he really came alive for me in the third act. He was sympathetic throughout, but the third act felt the most like Spider-Man and less like "Kid in the Avengers Universe". 

I'm going to see it again, and go into it with a different mindset. I think I'll enjoy it more for it. The movie's worst element is Aunt May. That was awful. It's second worst element was "Ned", who was yearning for death with every stupid line of dialogue. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2017 at 4:38 PM, Donomark said:

I'm going to see it again, and go into it with a different mindset. I think I'll enjoy it more for it. The movie's worst element is Aunt May. That was awful. It's second worst element was "Ned", who was yearning for death with every stupid line of dialogue. 

I can't disagree with you more. Ned was basically the audience going along for the ride. May was good, and ends the movie perfectly.