Episode 55: Elektra

RSS

Sterling work, gentlemen. I'm definitelly siding with Dubs on this one that I would rather watch Catwoman again than Elektra. Howard the Duck has yet to make my rewatch list but even now, I anticipate the overacting of Lea Thompson, Tim Robbins and Jeffrey Jones being enough to make it a more engaging film than Elektra.

And whilst I never like calling out anyone who isn't the accursed Ackerman, Cole's feedback genuinely stupefied me. Not so much the "I don't have any grasp on the characters, but they were done better on TV's Daredevil" as that could lead to a valid discussion, but a) the notion that Jennifer Garner was unattractive stunned me, b) that Scott Glenn was on your radar more than Terence Stamp, and c) when you researched Terence Stamp, you namechecked Halo 3?!?! I mean, it's one thing not to know comic lore on a geek website - I am very much in that camp - but how can you have completely missed out on General Zod when the first two Superman movies are VERY mainstream & well-known?

Of course, there was also that other guy who remembered the film being good when he watched it 11 years ago, but I'm not going to win friends by calling out genuine feedback givers, so I'll keep schtumn. Elektra's bloody awful, though.

Ok, so, I don't think Jennifer Garner's actually unattractive, she just does nothing for me. And as for Stamp, I was just doing some quick glancing at IMDb, and that was the first thing that I saw of his that I recognized. If I was paying attention, I'd have very easily brought that up. Sadly, I did not, which I am very sorry for. And I have seen the first Superman film, I just saw it over a decade ago once, which is why I didn't recognize Stamp immediately. 

And as for Scott Glenn being more on my radar than Terrance Stamp, well. I like him as an actor, what can I say?

Of course, there was also that other guy who remembered the film being good when he watched it 11 years ago, but I'm not going to win friends by calling out genuine feedback givers, so I'll keep schtumn. Elektra's bloody awful, though.

That's me.

I did like it when I saw it in 2005. And no, I wasn't drunk.

:)

We all like (or dislike) our own things.

But while I liked it, Elektra was definitely a flawed movie, with the biggest problem being that Elektra is a villain in her own movie - at least until she randomly grows a conscience. (Which I did actually point out in my feedback.)

And if they're going for a more gritty, realistic environment there is no reason not to change her costume to something more practical. Yes, put her in red, like in the comics. But no woman would go into hand-to-hand combat with ninjas in a low-cut, midriff bearing outfit. She's going to be wearing Kevlar, or at least something more protective.

In fairness, this movie is far from the only place where this is a problem and female fighters dressed totally inappropriately for battle is not confined to female superheroes. But the movie does deserve criticism for the silly costume.

Original thread, from waaaaaaay back in the day:

• 7 months later...