Saw VIII

• 3 months later...

Sigh-Worf.gif

What a birthday present! My birthday is the 28th.

I know Mike, James and Damien have sworn off doing Saw reviews. I can go see it and record something for The Show, if you want someone to rip into it for the sake of tradition. 

I will admit I genuinely liked the first three movies. After that, the series went downhill. By the time 7 came out I referred to the series as "this abomination of a franchise" when I wrote a review of that thing. I literally sat all alone in a theater watching it.

That the traps in 5, 6 and 7 have nothing at all to do with the main story contributes heavily to the series going downhill.

• 4 months later...

What a birthday present! My birthday is the 28th.

I know Mike, James and Damien have sworn off doing Saw reviews. I can go see it and record something for The Show, if you want someone to rip into it for the sake of tradition. 

I will admit I genuinely liked the first three movies. After that, the series went downhill. By the time 7 came out I referred to the series as "this abomination of a franchise" when I wrote a review of that thing. I literally sat all alone in a theater watching it.

That the traps in 5, 6 and 7 have nothing at all to do with the main story contributes heavily to the series going downhill.

Agreed! I wrote reviews for each one, and by #7 I'm really into 'When did he set all these up and shouldn't he be better occupied doing something else right now?' (Though admittedly the premise for the traps against Fake Jigsaw is kind of a good idea.)

Yeah, I too am happy to recap #8 for The Show if it ever happens. (I'm a sucker. I know I'll watch it anyway.)

I never watched past the third one so here is what I think it must be about. Saw in Space. 

Whoever the main villain of the last one ,was it Hoffman? is gets found in outer space in the year 2436 (just a random number) On the spaceship they get revived and then the crew finds themselves locked in a  room where they have to do something horrible to get out. Little does he realize that one of the female crew members is a gynoid and she effortlessly escapes by detaching her hands and head. She balances her head on her hands and skitters down an air vent all the while "Hello Zepp" is playing. Hoffman doesn't notice her getting into the control room because he is distracted by Billy the puppet being knocked over. That leaves her ample time use her hands to throw herself and head butt him to death. The fight causes the ship to go out of control and crash in a picturesque pasture in Queensland where the ship is seemingly eaten by a 30 ton sheep. As the survivors contemplate their fate, a screen turns on to reveal that Jigsaw knew this was going to happen because when he was in the hospital he saw a mother wearing a wool scarf and her child playing with a godzilla toy, he knew that could only mean that centuries from now, someone will hate haggis. The survivors would have to overcome their hatred of haggis to live and it all seems to go according to plan until the sheep spits them out, and they jetpack into the sunset.

The film has officially gotten an MPAA rating of R which mean, guess what? It's finished. So much for hopes of a false start.

It also has a synopsis

Bodies are turning up around the city, each having met a uniquely gruesome demise. As the investigation proceeds, evidence points to one man: John Kramer. But how can this be? The man known as Jigsaw has been dead for over a decade. Or has an apprentice picked up the mantle of Jigsaw, perhaps even someone inside the investigation?
Edited by dc20willsave

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we established in Saw VII that there is an entire Jigsaw cult, made up of all the people who now love Jigsaw because he made their lives better by putting them in deathtraps. Because that makes sense.

The reason these movies are entertaining isn't because they are so badly written (and they are very badly written) but that the people who wrote those terrible scripts are so incredibly pretentious about the movies being "smart." That's what makes the terrible writing, plot holes and impossible timelines so humorous.

• 3 months later...
59 minutes ago, The Master said:

I bet it will be a prequel outlining how a 20-year-old John Kramer was wronged by his engineering teacher and that's why he began building elaborate traps.

Oh, god, so he's Hitler in the 21st century.

Actually...that kind of fits...

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe the traps will actually matter this time. The traps in V, VI and VII had absolutely nothing to do with the main plot. You could have cut the traps completely out of the last three movies and would not have had to change a single line of dialogue.

Jigsaw was killed off in Saw III, way back in 2006. 

How in the world do they justify Kramer still being involved? He set up traps for a new set of people, a full decade after his death? I realize Jigsaw is Batman, but that is ridiculous even for this series.

Even the trailer has your typical nonsense. How long has that poor man been hanging there? People just notice out of nowhere? That is worse than the tri-blade trap that opened VII.

I see they have rebuilt the police department after Hoffman killed every single cop in VII. Though if I was a cop and a Jigsaw killer showed up again I would probably flee the country, given how cops fare against Jigsaw and his cult.

@James D. is right. At this point, if they want to make more movies, it needs a reboot. The series has become so convoluted with so many retcons that there is no way to untangle it.