Episode 149

RSS

After saving a Viking village from an alien menace, The Doctor turns a young woman into an immortal ("The Girl Who Died" / "The Woman Who Lived"). Then a faction of Zygons plot to undermine the peace treaty with Humankind ("The Zygon Invasion" / "The Zygon Inversion"). [ 1:39:45 || 48.2 MB ]

So I'm gonna re-watch the Zygon two-parter because when I watched it I really liked it, but for the life of me I cannot remember a single thing you guys were bringing up. Like, who's Jack? What black guy? It was obviously a terrorism metaphor episode, but it did not impress upon me how much that was what it was. I will say up front, at least from my last viewing, I 100% disagree about Jenna Coleman's acting as "Bonnie"! Like, WOWWWWWW...I really liked her! I don't remember exactly how menacing I found her, but in the last act of the second part I thought she did a terrific job playing someone who looks and sounds like Clara but is a different character. There was no distinct similarity between the two, and that really impressed me, absolving the episode for not giving Clara too much to work with but showcasing a lot of Jenna Coleman acting in another zone.

But you two "Negan'd" the fuck outta this one, so I gotsta take a look at it again to see what you both saw.

I'm with Don here. I haven't rewatched it since, but I loved it (and considered it my favorite of the season) from the first part. There's some stuff I found quite harrowing personally, like the scene in front of the church. Maybe I wasn't as politically aware, I only really started considering it when I saw a Facebook post that referred to the aliens as "Zysis." I also found Jenna Coleman as Bonnie quite fun, and the twist threw me for a loop the first time I saw it. Maybe it's one I shouldn't revisit, to preserve the feeling of loving it, but I dunno.

I’ve recently come across all of these podcast reviews and I must say they’re really addictive! I’ve not listened to them in order but have been hopping around at random. I still have a lot to get around to, though.

I love Mike’s growly-voiced enthusiasm and his off-the-wall theories and predictions that never pan out. Also, he’s had me laughing out loud on several occasions; the only ones I can think of off-hand involve a Voord tripping over his flippers and the Daleks exterminating some laboratory mice.

Dan’s soft-spoken contribution is about supplying all the facts and information, and he usually comes up with a lot of stuff I didn’t know before (Packer did all the Silurian voices? You’re kidding! That’s amazing!), so I think you make a good team.

It’s always great to share someone else’s first experience of something I know so well, as it refreshes the material in my own mind. In fact, I’ve been inspired to watch some of those old stories again – it’s been many years since I last did so – and am enjoying them all over again (particularly the ones with Barbara and Ian; I forgot how really great Jackie Hill and Bill Russell were).

I hope you’re going to get around to reviewing the remaining stories as some of the episodes in Capaldi’s second season were so brilliant. You may even be watching “Class” in which case you might want to comment on that.

(I couldn't find a way of leaving an e-mail on the Doctor Who Podcast Alliance site, but somehow managed to find my way here, so have just registered to post this.)

Best wishes,

David (from the UK).