Every comic you've read in 2017

Missy

X-Men Blue #3: Fun done in one. Didn't love the art change halfway through the issue, but the story was then over before I knew it.

America #3: I don't get what's going on. She's going in between dimensions and meets 80s X-Men who actually state they're in the 80s and a giant interdimensional monsters comes out at the end? Aside from that, the storytelling's too fast to care about a single thing that happens. None of the emotional moments are given chances to breathe.

Ms. Marvel #18 (2016): Meh

Amazing Spider-Man #27 (2015): Double meh

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Batwoman Rebirth #1: decent start.

Black Eyed Kids #11: this is weird and aimless at times, but I really enjoy this series.

Bullseye #2: this is really fun.

Captain America Sam Wilson #19: this was better than the real crazy SJW stuff earlier.

Captain America Steve Rogers #11, 12: I'm really enjoying this, actually. Ha!

Champions #6: ok, a rival team. We'll see how this goes.

Clean Room #16: this series is in a real slump.

Cosmic Scoundrels #1: WTF? Fuck this.

Curse Words #2: fun and stupid.

Darkness Visible #1: basically exactly the stuff I write. Pretty good, too.

Dead Inside #3: I actually think this is moving TOO quickly.

Deathstroke #13: pretty decent. This arc is dragging though

Detective Comics #951: ok, this is still really good.

Divinity III Stalinverse #3: still hitting it out of the park.

Dollface St. Patrick's Day: ok, I'm done with this, I think. Just too dumb for me.

Elektra #1: hrrrrmmmm...I'll give it one more.

Extremity #1: even though I feel like this is a failed TV pitch, it is still pretty awesome. Very Metal Hurlant.

Fissure #1: ok, I'm intrigued. Side note: interesting that all the decent sci fi comics (The Great Divide, etc) are all about people being completely diametrically opposed.

Generation Zero #7: spinning its wheels still.

God Country #2: weighing between continuing reading or just grabbing in trade...

Great Lakes Avengers #5: fun.

Harbinger Renegade #4: wondering when this is going to really get going.

Heathen #1: I never knew I needed a lesbian viking comic in my life, but I do now.

Highlander #1: I'll give it one more. I liked this enough.

Hulk #3: still fucking great.

Infamous Iron man #5: still really good.

Inhumans Vs X-Men #5: it's weird how they can unpack so much of nothing happening over so many issues.

Invincible Iron Man #4: cool. Riri and Pepper versus techno-ninjas. Fun.

Justice League of America #1: I fucking loved this. The Extremists are my favorite and least used cool DC villains.

KISS The Demon #2: this is garbage, but car crash-style garbage.

KISSĀ #5: still so weird that this is based on The Elder.

Kong of Skull Island #8: this was alright.

Midnighter and Apollo #6: sweet and fun.

Clara...After Dark vol 9: sexy and funny. like everything else. Man I wish more of Bernet's stuff was in print. He might be in my top ten artists.

Comics: 493
Trades: 24

Graphic Novels: 11

Omnibuses: 8

Star Wars: The Screaming Citadel #1: The start of the next big crossover does an excellent job putting Luke and Aphra together, setting up several story threads without revealing too much, and leaves us with a curious-but-dangerous cliffhanger. Loving the look of this one, too. Not sure I've seenĀ Marco Checchetto's work before, but I will be keeping an eye out for him. He makes Luke look both strong and green at the same time, and Luke's tux is a killer look.

Comics: 337

Checchetto's one of my favorite current artists. He did the Star Wars: Shattered Empire and Anakin & Obi-Wan series, plus Rucka's run on Punisher and some Avenging Spider-Man during the Superior era. Great artist, glad he's getting so much work.

Batman '66 Meets Wonder Woman '77 #1-12 (digital-first series as 12 issues, but it will be six when collected in paper):Ā A very fun, decades-spanning adventure which explores the origins of Batman and gives an early look into Wonder Woman's career, then it jumps ahead to tease how Batman's career came to a close. Without spoiling it, it's dark. Nightwing, Batwoman, and a heroic Catwoman all make appearances to stop Ra's and Talia. The book comes to a close in a bit of a hurry, but that does not undo all of the fun that took place leading up to the conclusion.

Comics: 349

Everything up to #8 is exactly what you'd expect, with Ra's al Ghul tossed in. Then we jump to 1977. It's revealed that:

sometime between the end of the Batman '66 TV series and 1977, The Joker's "mischievous crimes took a deadly turn." Upon learning Bruce Wayne and Batman were one and the same, The Joker broke into Wayne Manor to have his brand of fun. This caused Alfred to have a heart attack -- and if you read between the lines, it's easy to assume The Joker attacked him. Enraged, Bruce beat The Joker to death. He then retired.

We never see any of this, however; Bruce tells the tale to Wonder Woman.

GCPD: A four part miniseries from 1996 spotlighting the Gotham City Police Department. By Chuck Dixon, Jim Aparo and Bill Sienkiewicz. Decent story mitigated by Sienkiewicz's notorious inks muddying up Aparo's artwork. It's a fine story, but every Gotham City cop comic has the unfortunate task of living up to Gotham Central. This one is probably as good as it got back then.

Gordon of Gotham: Basically "Gordon: BORN", a pre-Year One tale featuring Gordon during his Chicago, pre-mustache days. It shows how Gordon was always a straight-arrow cop who rubbed crooked cops the wrong way, only this time there's a mayoral conspiracy to deal with as well as an Irish assassin. By Denny O'Neil and Dick Giordano, it features O'Neil's film-noir style of writing. Again, it's good not great. The best part of it is the wrap-around being Gordon telling Batman of his early days on the roof of the GCPD. It all goes somewhere, but I like the idea of the two of them hanging out and exchanging war stories.

Street Fighter: The Movie: The Comic: Hilariously bad adaptation (as most comic adaptations of films are) of a hilariously awesome movie of the classic fighting game classic. It's, as with most lame movie adaptations, down to the crummy artwork.

Motro #4: fucking weird. Kind of fun.

Nightwing # 15, 16: I'm interested in this new arc. Weird they only gave one issue to really cement the relationship with the new girlfriend before basically putting her in a fridge.

Occupy Avengers #4: fun.

Old Man Logan #18: this would be so much better without all the bullshit flashback/hallucination nonsense.

Peepland #4: really really good.

Quantum Teens Are Go #1: this was ok. Maybe one more before I decide on it.

Rough Riders: Riders on the Storm #1: good putting the team back together issue.

Rough Riders Nation #1: this is basically an issue of pinups showing the Rough Riders through later incarnations. Very cool but I don't think anything is going ot come of it seeing as the new series is still the original team.

Savage #4: wow...that was...not good.Ā 

Savage Things #1: holy shit. I liked this a lot.

Spell on Wheels #5: really good.

Starlord #3: pretty decent.

Suicide Squad #12: solid. Didn't think it would go this way, and I'm still skeptical it isn't.

Super Sons #1: did not like this. I'm out.

Superman #17, 18: Great end to an arc leading into an incredible new crossover. Really stoked for this.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #67: more Mutanimals!!! and Slash! Yessssss!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Universe #7: two Donatello tales with the fallout of his robot body. Interesting.

The Belfry: a one-shot beautifully drawn by Gabriel Hardman but unfortunately under-written by him as well.

The Dregs #1, 2: this is an amazing new horror series. I'm in, hard.

The Fall and Rise of Captain Atom #3: not sure why I'm still reading this.

The Few #2: not sure what is really going on here, but I do think it's pretty. I've got the next one so I'm not dropping it yet.

Comics: 517
Trades: 24

Omnibuses: 8

The Flash #22: The Button comes to a close on a whimper. There are two big reveals in the book, but both were spoiled weeks (if not months) ago. Had they remained secret, the impact would have been huge.Ā Besides that, though, there isn't much substance in the issue. By no means is it bad; it's simply too lean for a full issue.

Nick Fury #2:Ā So very fun and pretty.

Manhunter: The Special Edition: This starts out so very strong, with an almost Golden Age vibe (RE: short stories packed with action and ass-kicking), then Batman shows up and the whole thing dies for me. Each eight-page chapter takes its time building to the final showdown between Manhunter and TheĀ Council, but when Goodwin and Simonson are given more pages to wrap the story up, it races to the finish and is painfully slow at the same time. On top of that: the focus shifts to Batman as Manhunter and his crew become background characters, the voice of the book changes so drastically it feels like a different writer, and the climax is downright forgettable.Ā (For record keeping, with about 85 pages of story, I'm calling this one four issues.)

Comics: 355

Godshaper 2:Ā We get more of the world shaped out in a really good issue, and the larger threat starts to take shape. Also, holy shit the art and colors on this are gorgeous. (Goonface was selling original inks from $45/page yesterday on Twitter. You might wanna get on it.)

WicDiv 455 AD:Ā *twang twang* Andre Lima Araujo gets to do some absolutely gorgeous and nuts and gory art this time around. Kieron's having fun as ever.Ā 

Arclight:Ā Stunningly, this does end up making a bit more sense as a cohesive story on the trade (though not gonna lie, the six month gap when the writer and artist broke up as a couple really show). Marian Chuchland is a fucking goddess, and everyone should come correct.Ā 

A Land Called Tarot:Ā Gael Bertrand does an entirely wordless comic whose aesthetic is best described as Moebius meets Miyazaki. Each chapter is also based on a card of the Tarot. Absolutely gorgeous and worth your time.Ā 

Single Issues:Ā 160
Trades/Graphic Novels/Anthologies:Ā 49
Omnibuses:Ā 1

JLA Year One: By Mark Waid, Brian Augustyn and Barry Kitson.

The Post Crisis Justice League gets the Year One treatment in a twelve part retelling of the Silver Age team, subbing out Black Canary for Wonder Woman. Her, Flash, GL, Aquaman and Martian Manhunter all form the team and get to know each other over the course of the first year, establishing themselves and the world.Ā 

Some interesting things in this. Waid clearly has one eye on the Silver Age and does his best to keep the initial JLA pre-crisis adventures in continuity as they were presented while showing the in between team dynamics. Everyone except for Aquaman and J'on are turbo thirsty for Black Canary. A twist with J'onn shows that the league wasn't as initially trusting and welcoming as they and the readers would like to believe. Really fun interactions with Silver Age heroes like the JSA, the Doom Patrol, the Blackhawks, the Sea Devils and other heroes I'd never even heard of. The one thing I didn't care for was how Waid wrote Aquaman. This must be before the Peter David era, because Aquaman is literally a fish out of water throughout the story, to the point where he's almost a joke. People can't understand him when he speaks, and he's so new to the surface world that Hal makes fun of him. I could never see Arthur letting anyone get away with that now.Ā 

This story wasn't what I was expecting. It's a decent read with a fair amount of conspiracy and subplots that weren't that interesting, but I love DCĀ character dynamic-driven books.

Nightwing #21 (2016): Solid issue with little consequence, but a welcome done-in-one all the same. Honestly it's issues like this that we missed during the new 52.

Superman #23 (2016): Decent read with a cliffhanger that really excited me.Ā 

Edited by Donomark

I haven't read JLA:Y1 in forever, but I remember really enjoying it. For some reason, the scene of J'onn sympathizing with Aquaman's struggle to make sense of written English always stuck with me.

Flash & Green Lantern: Brave and the Bold: A six issue miniseries by Mark Waid, Tom Peyer and Barry Kitson.

This was more like it. I thought JLA Year One was decent, but this was way more up my alley. Written soon after JLA Year One, this is another series of flashback, sequentially told stories featuring Hal Jordan and Barry Allen. Each issue goes chronologically from still early in their costumed career as friends (it's unsaid but evident that this takes place after the JLA formed), to Silver Age adventures with Kid Flash, to hanging out with the Golden Age Flash and GL, to the Hard Traveling Heroes era with Green Arrow, to the 80s where Hal was a truck driver and had an alien sidekick named Itty (yup), to the final chapter in between the death of Iris and the death of Barry. Basically, think Dan Slott's Spider-Man and Torch "I'm With Stupid" miniseries.

Waid's a genius in this. The earlier issues are, despite the Barry Kitson artwork, written with really cliche'd, Silver Agey dialogue. Nothing too outrageous, but done in a way which people don't tend to talk like anymore. But the more personal scenes are done much more modern. My favorite issue is easily #4 with Green Arrow. As a fan of the Lantern/Arrow O'Neil/Adams run, I adore how exact WaidĀ and Peyer nailed how those comics were done, particularly in showing how much of a SELF-RIGHTEOUS ASSHOLE Ollie was in those days. I'm positive they even re-used exact dialogue. The artwork for that issue was pencilled by Tom Grindberg and inked by Kitson, birthing a pretty dead-on Neal Adams look. They have it all, the slimy corporate bad guys, Hal and Ollie getting knocked out and losing their hero stuff easily, Oliver being the most white liberal who ever liberal'd and making fun of everyone he thinks are stuffed shirts. That issue was so good.

What neat about this is that, being done in the 90s, the captions read "Before Wally West, before Kyle Rayner", giving this miniseries an epic feel to it. It's mostly dulled now because Barry and Hal are back, but it ends with Tom Kalmaku reminiscing on when they were both young and alive. Highly recommended DC fun.

The Private Eye:Ā BKV and Martin do a weird near future where the Internet no longer exists and everyone's right to privacy reigns supreme, and a murder mystery that threatens to undo it all. Some of the ideas don't always carry through (see: journos as law enforcement), but it's pretty and a neat concept.

Day Men vol 1-2:Ā i completely forgot what I read of vol 1, but hearing Stelfreeze rave about it at C2E2 had me come back to it and then read the second volume that we found half price. The story is still close enough to Vampire the Masquerade that I hope White Wolf doesn't look too close at it, but man, Stelfreeze does some really good work here.

Shade the Changing Girl 8: Tbh I bought this for the Jen Bartel Lisa Frank velociraptor cover. Shade does the tourist thing in Gotham. *shrug*

Batwoman 3:Ā I don't know if this is the editor clamping down or Tynion smothering Bennett, but this feels like a generic Batbook, which is not a thing I want from this. Hoping next issue course corrects.

Bug! The Adventures of Forager 1:Ā I'll be real blunt: I have no fucking clue what's happening here, and I like it. Dialogue is funny, art is great, will probably follow this on the trade.

Single Issues:Ā 163
Trades/Graphic Novels/Anthologies: 52
Omnibuses:Ā 1

Edited by Venneh

Cannibal volume 1: solid intro to a weird horror book where something is making some people uncontrollable cannibals. Solid.

The New Mutants Epic Collection Renewal: this one collects the graphic novel, the first 12 issues of the ongoing the Magik miniseries and a few other sundries. This is all over the place. I loved seeing Bob McLeod's character design sketches peppered throughout and some of the relationship building stuff is great, but this book came around at the wrong time. X-Men was too weird to have this book as part of its family at the time. The whole "Roman Empire under the ground in the South American jungle" thing is bugfuck nuts but not as crazy as that Magik miniseries. Holy shit.

The Flintstones #9: another solid issue. Taking on Trump as well as a solid adventure for the household appliances.

The Forever War #1: I didn't get much from this but I have the second issue so why not.

The Mighty Thor #16: Thor vs the Shi'ar gods. Not bad.

The Old Guard #1: Greg Rucka's multi-faceted tough girl character that he's used on damn near everything he's ever written returns again. She's part of a bunch of immortals. It's similar to stuff that I write so I might read another issue or two, but I wasn't blown away, as you can probably tell.

The Once and Future Queen #1: I liked this a lot.Ā 

The Unstoppable Wasp #3: another good one.

Comics: 523
Trades: 25

Omnibuses: 9

Ā 

Day Men v1, v2: It's a fun vampire romp elevated by Stelfreeze's work, who does no showy tricks but makes every five or six page vampire conversation interesting through perspective and a lifetime of draftsmanship. The writers wisely get out of his way.

Bug! The Adventures Of Forager #1: I have only a little better idea than Hannah what's going on here, but look, this is the Allred family explicitly working on a Kirby creation in what I take as a respectful update of the man's themes and stylistic quirks. This is a joy.

Batwoman #3: I'd love to know what's going on behind the scenes. The end result feels generic, with occasional moody, perfectly suited Epting pages.

Three Quarters Of Bad Company: Goodbye, Krool World: A 2000 AD classic where the team slowly peels back the horrors of war. I hope this ends with Milligan updating the Kubert Make War No More. Monsters shooting monsters and dying.

The Last Quarter Of Bad Company: A tacked on existential sequel that actually ends with the character literally becoming what he hates and murders. It's still good, if it's a radically different flavor from what preceded it.

The Wild Storm #4: It's hard to keep track of who's on which side and what goal(s) each side is aiming for, but I'm still enjoying the book.

Super Sons #4: This book. Oh my god, this book. It is the best Superman and the best Batman comic on the market, and there are really good Superman and Batman comics out right now. It's fun, energetic, exciting, and sound exactly like bickering kids should sound.

Comics: 362