Every comic you've read in 2017

Missy

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In Jessica Jones, Bendis has been teasing something regarding the merged universes. And now in Spider-Men II he pulls this. It must be leading to something.

If not, I can kinda make it work in my brain: Miles travels to a lot of other realities, as seen in the recent crossover with Spider-Gwen. Due to this, he has retained some memories of his previous life and adventures. He knows he's from elsewhere, that he became Spider-Man after Peter Parker died on his world, and that he had a cross-reality adventure with this Spider-Man / Peter Parker. But, thanks to the merged universes messing with reality and therefore memories, he believes his family was as it is now.

Until we're told otherwise, that's what I'm going with.

Centipede #1: A 2017 comic based on the 1980 arcade game. In it, the lone survivor of an alien attack roams the streets looking for life, death, meaning. It's okay, but I don't see me coming back.

Comics: 421

3 hours ago, The Master said:

In Jessica Jones, Bendis has been teasing something regarding the merged universes. And now in Spider-Men II he pulls this. It must be leading to something.

If not, I can kinda make it work in my brain: Miles travels to a lot of other realities, as seen in the recent crossover with Spider-Gwen. Due to this, he has retained some memories of his previous life and adventures. He knows he's from elsewhere, that he became Spider-Man after Peter Parker died on his world, and that he had a cross-reality adventure with this Spider-Man / Peter Parker. But, thanks to the merged universes messing with reality and therefore memories, he believes his family was as it is now.

They've ignored Miles' origin since Secret War. Did he get bitten by a spider from Oscorp or not? How did Peter really react when he first heard of him? I know we see both Spider-Men meet in the 616, but now this happens. If Bendis is at Comic-Con next week I vow to get some answers.

On 7/13/2017 at 7:54 AM, The Master said:

I'll hold with my standby Brian "continuity is for other people" Bendis

Deadly Class 29: So we have yet another break in what's supposed to be the super big action for this shit? Christ, I'm falling further and further out of love with this series. 

Descender 22: Nguyen gets to do some amazing work here, and the story just keeps ramping up. Alright. 

Angelic 1: Absolutely gorgeous art, and a really neat premise with fun side bits from Spurrier. Interested to see where this goes. 

I Hate Fairyland 14: Skottie gets to do a riff on Labyrinth for an issue. You can tell he's having a good time. 

Lazarus X+66 1: Mehhhhhhhhhhhh. 

Moonstruck 1: Furry genderqueer coffee shop AU. Not my thing, but the art's adorable. 

Generation Gone 1: Hooooooo boy. Going to keep quiet about this till Wednesday per Image request, but once Wednesday hits, I've got some things to say. 

Single Issues: 197
Trades/Graphic Novels/Anthologies: 76
Omnibuses: 3

On 7/18/2017 at 0:22 PM, Venneh said:

Generation Gone 1: Hooooooo boy. Going to keep quiet about this till Wednesday per Image request, but once Wednesday hits, I've got some things to say. 

Though I've flipped through it, I haven't read it. What are your thoughts?

Generation Gone 1: First and foremost: holy shit he actually hired an editor this time, and you can tell that the editor is reining in the worst of his impulses. Second: this isn't as godawfully up its own ass as Material! That it has Andre Lima on it does a lot for it. That said, they still could have cut a lot of the dialogue/exposity bits/at least a third of this fifty page issue and still gotten the core points across.  I only wanted to smash character's faces in after some particularly awful/smug lines of dialogue, which is better. There's one panel in particular that is just covered in word balloons (Jim has a screencap), which just seems to be a waste of Lima's talents. Basically: it's got some legs to it, it's not as awful as some of his previous creator owned stuff, but I'm on edge with it.

Batwoman 5: Please stop interrupting the Stephanie Hans glory with poorly drawn Snickers ads. That said, we get Marguerite and Stephanie teaming up for a good pulpy lesbian love story, and it's great to see them reunite for this one off. 

Insexts 12: Good arc wrap up, great cover reference, Ariela finally got some breathing room on the art the way it looks. 

Single Issues: 199

Trades/Graphic Novels/Anthologies: 76

Harrow County v4-5: The story's starting to shift in interesting ways. I believe we've seen some of these characters earlier in the series? (There seems to be a weird jump at the beginning of these two trades storywise.)  v5 also contains the Carla Speed McNeil issues that got us started on this, so it's neat to circle back to those with a fuller context.

Dept H v2: Matt and Sharlene continue to do beautiful, amazing work on this, especially in terms of the layout and coloring work. We get a fuller sense of the crew and their possible motivss these issues, and also the world, which has just barely been hinted at. And of course, things get deeper in the shit. 

Trades/Graphic Novels/Anthologies: 79

Hellboy Library Edition v6: The guns went off. I cried. Hellboy's a masterpiece.

Generation Gone #1: Okay, I secretly liked this comic, but it's still an Ales Kot work, which means there's a painfully obvious part at the front where Mr. Kot goes "DO YOU KNOW WHAT DARPA IS? LET ME EXPLAIN IT IN A WAY THAT'S SUPER CONDESCENDING" Better than Material and Sr. Lima does great work here. Basically: DARPA funds Akira and tests it on some kids from DefCon.

Dept. H v2: I echo Hannah's thoughts.

Hellboy Library Edition v6: Mignola is amazing, Fegredo/Stewart is god mode, and it's amazing to watch his arc for Hellboy come to a conclusion. The one-shots that made up the back half were pretty damn fun too. Looking forward to the library edition for Hellboy in Hell in October. 

Zines: 9
Trades/Graphic Novels/Anthologies: 79
Omnibuses: 4

Saga #1: It was okay. Maybe I'll keep reading it.

Super Sons #6: Looks really good!

Iceman #3: Not a fan of The Purifiers, as I think they're too easy of villains, but the stuff with Bobby and his parents was good.

Red Hood and the Outlaws #11: Okay finish to the Artemis storyline.

Red Hood and the Outlaws #12: The Life of Bizarro begins with an emotional punch.

Comics: 426

Batman and the Outsiders #1-#19, Batman and the Outsiders Annual #1: By Mike W. Barr and Jim Aparo (with Treevor Von Eden and other artists)

This was a very solid team book. Barr has a solid handle on Batman, as he proved during his later Detective Comics run, and it's Jim Aparo majorly drawing, which, come on. There are some gorgeous bat-shots in this. The character are all interesting and likable. Black Lightning's kind of mopey for most of it and Halo's a bit stupid (when she finds out Bruce Wayne is Batman, she goes "But Mr. Wayne said he hated Batman!"), but they're all fun to read about nonetheless. I never had time for Katana before, but she's a fucking badass in this, only really being sort of stereotypical during her two-part origin story. Most of the time she has a very cool dynamic with the team, especially Halo. Metamorpho's the fun Ben Grimm-esque member who has his own hangups, and Geo-Force is an interesting young guy powerhouse. The villains are mostly lame, consisting of the Masters of Disaster, the Cryonic Man and Baron Bedlam, but they don't hurt the reading experience. There's a solid crossover with the New Teen Titans where we not only see Batman and Robin interact with their respective teams but Geo-Force and his stepsister Terra. I know Batman ditches the team around issue thirty or so and the book doesn't survive the year after, but this books reads just fine without him carrying it. It's very interesting seeing him lead a team this mismatched, but they all work well together and are very unique as characters. Strongly recommended.

Every single time I think about giving Batman and the Outsiders a try, I balk. The reason? Geo-Force. He looks like he was created for a crappy, free promotional comic. No matter how hard I try, I cannot get over him.

One of his main gimmicks is that he's the foreign guy, so he talks in that stilted, royal foreign way where he doesn't use contractions. He's the first comic book character that I've ever read who non-ironically refers to people he's saving as "citizen". But I like his dynamic with Metamorpho and the others. He and Halo are the most straightlaced while Katana, Black Lightning and Batman are edgier.

Nightwing #25 and #26 (2016): Both good. The art is serviceable but is begging for a Marcus To-esque touch.

Bane: CONQUEST #4: Good as ever. I could read an ongoing with this team.

Superman #28 (2016): This is a unique one-off issue. Solid Superman story

By Chance or Providence: Becky Cloonan is already real fuckin' good, but add Lee Loughridge on colors for these short stories, and it takes it to the next level. (If you read nothing else, read the colored version of Demeter. Holy shit.)

Zines: 9
Trades/Graphic Novels/Anthologies: 80
Omnibuses: 4

Clara...After Dark Special: gonna have to add some more Bernet into my reading pile as I'm going to miss poring through these. What a master.

Inner City Romance: a trade of subversive indie series from the 70s looking at sex, war, prison and other issues. Not terrible, and some really interesting art, but I'll never read this again.

Julia vol 1 and 2: a really terrible European crime series of GNs starring a ripoff of Audrey Hepburn as a detective. Damien: it's not worth it.

Click 4: Manara's final part of the series. Would be nice to see this all collected one day.

Pinocchia: weird erotic comics prequel of the Pinocchio story. Not great. Awesome art.

Hellboy into the Silent Sea: this was ok.

Action Comics #977-9: this is good.

All-New Guardians of the Galaxy #1: fun.

All-New Wolverine #20: fucking solid.

All-Time Comics Bullwhip #1: terrible.

Amerikarate #2: terrible.

Anno Dracula #2: they're really going the slow burn route with this one. Not sure how I feel about it.

Archie #19: This is still good.

Bane Conquest #1: haha...fuck this. Terrible.

Batman #21, 22 and Flash #21, 22: this is The Button storyline. It left me wanting. Not in a good way.

Batman/Shadow #1: ehhh....

Batwoman #2: this was ok. Not sure if I'll read more.

Big Moose One-Shot: hey guys, Moose just isn't a big idiot. yawn.

Black Bolt #1: not good.

Black Hammer #8: this is really starting to hit hard with me.

Black-Eyed Kids #12: still pretty solid horror comics.

Black Panther & The Crew #1, 2: this is fucking stupid. All of a sudden Storm has an affinity with Harlem and has roots there? She's from fucking Kenya. What the fuck is happening? 

Blood Blister #2: really good horror comics.

Britannia We Who Are About To Die #1: off to a good start.

Bug! The Adventures of Forager #1: fun and goofy. Kirby by way of Madman.

Bullseye #4: not great.

Captain America Sam Wilson #21: solid. Toning down the overt "SJW" silliness and getting back to telling issue-tinged stories about characters.

Captain America Steve Rogers #16: I know there's a lot of whining about this Secret Empire stuff, but this issue and the other stuff I've read below is pretty fucking fantastic.

Champions #8: this was ok.

Colossi #2: fun.

Curse Words #4: pretty good, still.

Deadpool vs. The Punisher #1,2: funny and pretty decent.

Detective Comics #954-6: decent, but this series is losing its shine.

Eternal Empire #1: I'm out.

Eternal Warrior Awakening #1: ok.

Extremity #3: why am I reading this? I'm not anymore.

Failsafe #1: put a gun to my head and I couldn't tell you a bare skeleton of the premise of this book.

Fissure #2: doesn't expande too much on the first issue.

Freelance #2: 

Generation Zero #8, 9: pretty good.

God Country #4: this is really good.

Godshaper #1: ok, I'll give it another.

Great lakes Avengers #7: ends with a whimper

Green Valley #7, 8: this is fucking bonkers.

Guardians of the Galaxy Dream On: terrible.

Heathen #3: still fucking great.

Hellboy and the BPRD 1954 Ghost Moon #2: decent.

Hero Killer #4: good.

Highlander The American Dream #3: this is basically a miniseries of the TV show. Fun.

Hulk #5: another one of Marvel's best right now.

Immortal Brothers The Tale fo the Green Knight: this was alright.

Infamous Iron Man #7: still liking this. Makes sense that accepting Doom as a hero would take some time.

Invincible Iron Man #6: this is still really fun.

Jean Grey #1: better than I expected it to be.

Justice League of America #4-6: the Extremist stuff is fucking fantastic throughout, but the Lobo-themed arc that starts after is not so fun.

Kingpin #3, 4: fucking great.

KISS #7: I'm done with this now.

Lobster Johnson The Pirate's Ghost #2: alright.

Medisin #1: liked this not knowing what it was going in. Will see if it keeps its shine.

Misfit City #1: terrible.

'Namwolf #1: solid.

Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys #2: this might be bullshit.

Nick Fury #1: this was ok, I guess.

Night Owl Society #1: this has failed screenplay written all over it, but I really liked it.

Nightwing #19, 20: I'm glad this arc is ended.

Ninjak #26: quality

No Angel #2, 3: good.

No World #1: can't remember what this is about. 

Noble #1: pretty decent.

Nova #6: still great.

Occupy Avengers #6: decent.

Old Man Logan #21-3: this arc is fun, but dumb. Really basic writing.

Pestilence #1: this was ok. Will give it one more.

Planet of the Apes Green Lantern #3, 4: decent.

Plastic #1: fucking great first issue.

Powerless #2: ok

Project Superpowers Hero killers #1: was not prepared for this to be a comedy. Might check out another.

Red Hood and the Outlaws #9, 10: I don't give a fuck who Artemis is. She is a non-character. i get why basing an arc around her is important to fill that out, but not when it sucks. I might be done with this book.

Red Rising Sons of Ares #1: nope.

Red Sonja #4: loving this still.

Red Sonja the Long Walk to Oblivion #1: fun. Not as good as the other series.

Redline #2, 3: ironically, a lot like a novel I just finished. "Redline" as a term, is even used heavily in the book. Interesting.

Redneck #1: ok, cool.

Reggie and Me #5: not a great ending.

Regression #1: really fucking good.

Rocket #1: fun start to this series after the changeover from below.

Rocket Raccoon #5: not great ending.

Rose #1: nope, fuck that.

Royal City #2: this is great.

Savage Things #3: still good.

Secret Empire #0, 1: great.

Secret Warriors #1: I hate the art on this enough to not read anymore.

Shaolin Cowboy Who'll Stop the Reign #1: gonna get this in trade for sure.

Shipwreck #4: I think I'll switch to trade because I don't have a fucking clue what is happening, but I adore Hester's work on this.

Spencer and Locke #1: fucking fun.

Stained #1: not sure what this was supposed to be. Felt twenty years too late.

Star-Lord #6: okay, this pretty much petered out. Pun not intended.

Suicide Squad #15-17: took me a long time to come along to this series, but it's easily one of the best things DC has going. The Zod thing is fucking fantastic too.

Superman #21: ok, this is going off the rails for me.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Universe #9: I wish this was better. I'm done.

The Greatest Adventure #1: fucking awful.

The Mighty Thor #18: still great.

The Once and Future Queen #2: still good.

The Unstoppable Wasp #4: still one of Marvel's better books.

The Visitor How and Why he Stayed #3: great stuff.

The Wild Storm #3: still slow, but really good.switching to trade.

There's Nothing There #1: fucking great.

Underwinter #2: ok, we're done here.

Unfollow #18: solid series, front to back. Loved it.

US Avengers #5: really fun.

Vampirella #2: really good.

Weapon X #1, 2: liking this a lot.

World Reader #1: needs another issue before I decide.

X-Men Blue #1, 2: solid.

X-Men Gold #2: decent.

X-O Manowar #2: snooze-worthy. I'm out.

Z Nation #1: hell no.

Comics: 809

Trades: 28

Graphic Novels: 24

Omnibuses: 12