Every Film You've Watched in 2017

teenalphabro

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Monsters University: Very plot-centered Disney-Pixar film. It's cute but, considering that this entire society is going to up turned upside down within a generation based on the original film, it's hard to look at everything going on without saying, "Your entire life, university, and school are going to be a thing of the past."

I wonder how many "Scare-Energy" truthers there were after Monster Society switched over to a humor based energy grid.

If the entire Pixar single world theory is true, I wonder what happened to the Monsters after humans left earth...

Films: 24
Best Film So Far: All About Eve
Best Film So Far that isn't one of Will's five favorite of all time: Groundhog Day

Worst Film So Far: Zoolander No. 2

10 Cloverfield Lane: basically, I sit down occasionally when I know I've got 90 minutes of movie in me and I watch whatever I need to that fits the space. Both movies I need to watch for the show are more like 2 hours long. Tonight I decided on this one. I went in cold other than the obvious. This is super-underrated. I seriously fell in love with Winstead's character and this might be Goodman's best performance. Brilliant. I could have followed the events of this film for at least another feature length movie TONIGHT.

Features: 22

Shorts: 9

Documentaries: 2

Rewatches: 0

The Lego Batman Movie: As opposed to Lego Batman: the Movie (2013). This was fun. You can tell these guys are fans of Nightwing because of Dick Grayson being so adorable, multiple references to Bludhaven and the fact that one of the most radioactive villains ever in Tarantula is front and center throughout the film. Has a surprising amount of heart that gets into who Batman really is as a character whilst lampooning/tearing apart every tired, cliche'd annoying element of the current Batman popularity of the Frank Miller/Jim Lee ilk.

50 Shade Darker: I played myself. I really thought this would be a laugh riot, but like the first one it's insanely dull. Nothing happens, and Christian Grey is a detestable prick. Whitney from Smallville's good in it though.

The Running Man: This is Peak Arnold. It's a dumb action movie (that's oddly prescient. The Event that caused the world to become what it did happens in 2017.) but it's still fun. Arnold kills people then makes quips on their deaths. Richard Dawson is absolutely entertaining as the host. It also really makes me want to play Smash TV.

X-Men: Days of Future Past: The X-Men films are weird. I dunno, I loved it when it came out, I still like it now, hell, it's probably the best of the films in the second series and the second of third best overall but there's something about it now that feels off.

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian: When I was a kid, my Sister and I loved the old BBC Narnia serials. Their version of Prince Caspian was an hour. The Walden Media version is over two hours. It feels bloated. Entire plot threads are in there just to add to the run time. It's far from the worst of all the Lord of the Rings imitators that we got and most of the kids put in a good performance but it's still kind of meh.

Films: 27
Best Film So Far that isn't one of Will's five favorite of all time: Groundhog Day

John Wick: Chapter 2 - I was entertained.  You know what you are getting with this, which is really the only issue I have.  I went into the first one with no expectations.  I had them for this one.  I'd say they were met but not exceeded.  I will say that I was happy that the urge to 'outdo' the original was rarely there.  Spoilers:

- I don't like endings that are just a set up for the next chapter. 

- The big end battle with the '7 bullets' did not go how I expected.  And I like that.  Really like that. You figure slow stealth kills until the boss fight, but no.  7 bullets gone in 10 seconds.

- The fun house mirrors set seems so cliche yet awesome.

- I loved Ruby Rose as the mute bodyguard underboss. 

- I really just love the world both these movies have set up.  The contracts department was a great addition.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter: It would have been very easy to make something completely kitschy. Instead, despite the topic, they go for period action film that, frankly, is a little dull at times. I guess sometimes you need a bit of both.

The Lego Movie: Yet again, watching a movie that is oddly prescient. It's a nearly perfect animated film from a visual standpoint. Like, I had to remind myself a few times that it was not stop-motion. The writing is funny, witty, and makes perfect use of the setting. Really looking forward to The Lego Batman Movie now whenever I get to see it.

Films: 29

John Wick-Chapter 2: VERY enjoyable. The pacing is just as deliberate as the first one, with the fights scenes a lot farther in between. Much more than the first one, this movie is GORGEOUS to look at. From fights in Rome, to the final shootout, my eyeballs were in Heaven. Much more brutal than the previous one, though slightly less emotional but not to its detriment. Common outdoes himself in the scene's best fight sequence, and I can't wait to see what comes next.

John Wick-Chapter 2: VERY enjoyable. The pacing is just as deliberate as the first one, with the fights scenes a lot farther in between. Much more than the first one, this movie is GORGEOUS to look at. From fights in Rome, to the final shootout, my eyeballs were in Heaven. Much more brutal than the previous one, though slightly less emotional but not to its detriment. Common outdoes himself in the scene's best fight sequence, and I can't wait to see what comes next.

Just curious:

Are you refering to the fight that ends at the Continental or the Subway fight?

The Addams Family: This was my Valentine's Day viewing. There are a couple of small snags in continuity (whatever happened to Margaret and Tully's kid?)  but still a wholly satisfying film.

The Brady Bunch Movie: Not perfect in anyway, shape, or form but it's a spot-on parody of the original series.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Probably the most enjoyable of all the Marvel films to just turn in, relax, and have fun.

Films: 32

Edited by dc20willsave

Fight Club: Yknow, even knowing the twist ahead of time, this film's still really great.

Films Watched: 23

While it's well made, I really think it's aged poorly. 

...A bunch of affluent white men complain about how hard they have it? Yeah, okay, fuck off. 

Yeah, but Fight Club reads like a Meninist Seminar. 

And yes, I know that's actually against the point the movie is trying to make. Tyler Durden is a sociopath. Anarchy is a flawed ideal. It's kinda fun to watch Edward Norton beat the piss out of Jared Leto. 

And I know it's not fair to blame the film for a generation of Bros missing the point of it, but I just don't think it holds up all that well, despite being a well made film. 

Thats, admittedly my bias from a generation of frat boys with posters of soap on their wall, smoking too much weed and talking about how the system needs to come down, man. 

Fight Club: Yknow, even knowing the twist ahead of time, this film's still really great.

Films Watched: 23

While it's well made, I really think it's aged poorly. 

...A bunch of affluent white men complain about how hard they have it? Yeah, okay, fuck off. 

I don't think the fact that the "Fight Club" are white male antagonists dates the film whatsoever. 

I mean, 2017 America... 

Edited by slothian