Every Film You've Watched in 2017

teenalphabro

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unpopular opinion: I didn't actually like Predator.

Don't shy away from unpopular opinions! It marks you out as an individual, just so long as you don't go against EVERY popular opinion ever. But I don't think you'll be going down the contrarian route, young Cole fella-me-lad.

I unashamedly love Wild Wild West. If that is wrong, then let the Lord strike me down now!!

I unashamedly love Wild Wild West. If that is wrong, then let the Lord strike me down now!!

Anyone heard from Ian in the past hour?

Ice Guardians: I got sent a screener for a documentary on enforcers in hockey. Not necessarily Dread Media fodder, but the youngest and I were home sick today and he plays hockey, so I thought it would be good to watch together. It was. This is a very balanced approach to the divisive subject of violence in hockey. It's a mix of Don Cherry's Rock em Sock em videos, scientific evidence proving that new shoulder pads and faster hits being responsible for far more concussions than fights and emotional interviews with legends and new guys whose job is becoming scarce. As a guy who doesn't really give a shit about hockey, this did an amazing job keeping me dialed in.

Features: 31

Shorts: 21

Documentaries: 4

Rewatches: 0

Don't shy away from unpopular opinions! It marks you out as an individual, just so long as you don't go against EVERY popular opinion ever. But I don't think you'll be going down the contrarian route, young Cole fella-me-lad.

I've lost track of all the movies that I have odd views on compared to everyone else. It's normal to not agree with everyone, despite what The Buddy Bears say.

I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore: Directorial debut for Macon Blair (the lead actor in Blue Ruin) and maybe the perfect absurdist post-Trump crime film. Elijah Wood is great, and Melanie Lynskey (the stalker neighbor from Two and a Half Men) is pure fucking perfection if you can believe that. New Netflix movie.

Features: 32

Shorts: 21

Documentaries: 4

Rewatches: 0

Event Horizon: This was a fun movie. Lots of fun actors including Sean Pertwee who I never heard of before Gotham. Didn't find it scary in the least, but Lawrence Fishburne and Sam Neill were excellent and worth the viewing experience alone.

Halloween is god awful. 

Get Out: One of the most unnerving things I've ever seen in the theater, I was loudly reacting the entire time. Luckily the audience was packed and doing the same thing, which made it a real experience. There's a ton of "oh FUCK no" moments that make me not looking forward to meeting my girlfriend's parents in a few days. But thus far it's the best film I've seen in 2017.

X-Men: First Class: Definitely one of the best of the X-Men films. It's fun and interesting enough. Really, this is all about Xavier and Magneto and most of the actors put in great performances. It is a little questionable though that every mutant of color either dies or is a villain.

Adventures in Babysitting: What is it about most kids movies in the 80s that are eminently less annoying than those made even a decade later? All the kids are great here but Elizabeth Shue is just so awesome also.

Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs 2: I can give or take the story but, visually, this was a beautiful use of CGI animation.  I called most of the plot points pretty early but still a fun movie.

Films: 39
Best Film So Far: All About Eve
Best Film So Far that isn't one of Will's five favorite of all time: Duck Soup

Worst Film So Far That Isn't Showgirls: Zoolander No. 2

Logan: My thoughts will be in the Logan thread.

The Raid: Awesomely brutal action film that I felt went by too quickly. Like John Wick it doesn't feel wholly original but the fight scenes are so good that such a criticism is a waste of time.

The Raid (2): Berendal: Much more of a story driven movie this time 'round, and again it's nothing unfamiliar. Basically the Departed with martial arts. But it's THESE GUYS doing the martial arts. The stunt work, car chases and murder scenes are freakin' unreal. Both of these movies have those types of boss fight villains that you kind of root for because they're so awesome. In the first one, Mad Dog was it. In this one, it's the dude with the mustache. Exhaustive fight sequences coupled with a more emotional, character driven story make these films by Gareth Evans to true successors to the modern era of martial arts movies that began a decade ago with Ong Bak.

Scooby-Doo and the Ghoul School: It was on this morning and there was nothing better on. To put it lightly, it kinda sucks but then, what else was I expecting? Then there was a moment that made me think. So, the basic premise is that Scooby, Shaggy, and Scrappy get hired to be gym teachers at a school for the daughters of monsters. However, then you stop to think about some of them. We have the daughter of a Ghost, the daughter of The Mummy, and the daughter of Frankenstein's Monster. Assuming the undead don't get older, we're talking about a bunch of dead kids that are never getting any older. It's kind of weird.

Iron Man 2: The first one was a pretty decent film. The sequel is where some of the bad parts of the Marvel Cinematic Universe started coming into play. Not even getting into wasting Mickey Rourke, the movie grinds to a halt on a couple of occasions for world building where none was necessary other than to further other movies.

Films: 40
Made-For-TV Movie: 1
Best Film So Far: All About Eve
Best Film So Far that isn't one of Will's five favorite of all time: Duck Soup

Worst Film So Far That Isn't Showgirls: Zoolander No. 2