Every Film You've Watched in 2017

teenalphabro

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mediocre Hitchcock in my book. There's a couple standout sequences, but it's not as clever or gripping as the best of his work. 

That's what I'm leaning towards. I've only seen a handful of others in full (Strangers on a Train, Rear Window, Vertigo, North by Northwest, Psycho, and The Birds) but most are probably better.

Gifted: A film starring Chris Evans about a guy who's taken in his dead sister's genius little girl and fights her grandmother in custody over determining how best she should be raised. Decent performances doesn't really make this mopey, almost smug film worth watching. 

Cry Wilderness, The Time Travelers, Avalanche, The Beast of the Hollow Mountain, Starcrash, The Land That Time Forgot, The Loves of Hercules: MST3K. New Season. Thoughts at a later time.

Kubo and the Three Strings: Absolutely wonderful. I love stop-motion and this might be one of the most inventive and moving cases of it that I can remember. Yes, I am including Nightmare Before Christmas in there.

An American Tail: Fievel Goes West: No. Just... it misses all the point of the original.

Films: 55
Made-For-TV Movie: 2
MST3K/Rifftrax: 10
Repeats: 1

Best Film So Far: All About Eve
Best Film So Far that isn't one of Will's five favorite of all time: Duck Soup

Worst Film So Far That Isn't Showgirls: Cruel Intentions 2

Edited by dc20willsave

An American Tail: Fievel Goes West: No. Just... it misses all the point of the original.

I have to disagree with you, at least when it comes to sheer quality. It's not a classic, but I think it's an improvement on the original on pretty much all fronts -- including the villain, the songs, and the direction. It also removes (though doesn't necessarily resolve) the previous film's biggest plothole (i.e. where are all the dogs?) On a more subjective note, it's one of two films starring Jimmy Stewart where I don't find him insufferable. 

Unforgettable: Rosario Dawson gets harassed and terrified by Katherine Heigel for 90 minutes. There's a microscopic level of racial commentary one can pick out if they're feeling frisky. Otherwise it's a movie we've all seen half a dozen times. But I love Rosario Dawson, so it gets a pass.

Cry Wilderness, The Time Travelers, Avalanche, The Beast of the Hollow Mountain, Starcrash, The Land That Time Forgot, The Loves of Hercules: MST3K. New Season. Thoughts at a later time.

We finished the season last night. Still gathering thoughts.

Can't believe it's been more than 2 weeks since I've watched a movie (though I'm basically caught up on Lucha Underground). Anyway: family movie night

The Empire Strikes Back: not a popular opinion, I know, but even as the best of the bunch, this is still a fucking slog to get through. Could be half an hour shorter.

Features: 49

Shorts: 21

Documentaries: 4

Rewatches: 0

Samurai Cop: This has to be one of the worst films I've ever seen in my life. Absolutely loved it.

Samurai Cop 2: Doesn't have the magic of the first "movie", but Bai Ling is having a ball and it's uncanny how little the two leads have visibly aged in 25 years.

Edited by Donomark

99 Women: decided to take a break from Mexican wrestling to catch up on some movies. This one is one I hadn't seen before and as far as Jess Franco films go, it's on the artier side. You know, for a sadistic women in prison movie. Review forthcoming.

Features: 50

Hype! (1996): Documentary of the Seattle music scene of the late 80s through the mid 90s, and specifically the rise of grunge from the local punk scene. Truly fascinating stuff, as this came very shortly after grunge had pretty much flamed out, and a lot of the people involved are kind of aware of this but haven't really totally wrapped their minds around it yet, and so there's still a lot of resentment about how their cool little thing was co-opted by the big corporate machine and turned into carefully prepackaged teenage rebellion, and how a lot of interesting bands were left behind when the labels and MTV came looking and grabbed a handful of younger artists. Interviews with artists are plentiful but generally kept short enough that there isn't a huge amount of "Yeah, rock is awesome, corporations suck, man", and most give a lot of insight (one major exception is Eddie Vedder, still very embarrassed about how successful he had become, and who is being extremely careful with his words and talking a lot without really saying much). I could listen to producer Jack Endino tell stories and philosophize pretty much all day, and the most enlightening stuff tends to come from people who work at labels and industry insiders (Jon and Bruce at Sub Pop Records very much come across as the Stan Lee of indie music, as they joyously and wittily promote themselves and their label, and never once mention a single band they represent).

Also, a shit-ton of great music.

Women in Cellblock 9: Hahahaha! I imagine this was the conversation going in: "Mr. Franco, while we enjoyed 99 Women, we feel your next movie should be the exact same thing but less artful and much more lurid." And because he was Jess Franco, he was all like "sure!"

Features: 51

Face/Off: With Nicholas Cage and John Travolta.

Very fun high-concept movie. The only way this doesn't work is if you're one to pride yourself upon fact checking the science in Hollywood. It's a ludicrous idea, underlined by some of the most shameless acting by two of America's most bizarre actors, delivering what may be their most defining roles. That John Woo directed only adds to the sense of un-reality, straddling between being a good movie and bad movie.

Yongray: Monster From the Deep. Wizards of the Lost Kingdom, Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 2, Carnival Magic, The Christmas That Almost Wasn't, At the Earth's Core: Thoughts in the near future.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: Will be posting thoughts over in the thread.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The first time watching it since opening night. Still love it!

Films: 57
MST3K/Rifftrax: 16

Chicago: As a note: Back in High School, I saw this movie every week in the theaters for like two months. With a few more years on my shoulders, it's still a good film.

Beyond The Gates: I'm a stickler for things like VHS Board games so when I was strolling through Netflix and I saw this on there, I figured, sure, what the hell? I enjoyed myself. It's not a totally scary horror film but it works on a very thematic scale.

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe: Not a perfect film. Not even a great film but it's okay.

Thor: It's both a good Marvel film but also an example of how to do one wrong. It could be fun at times but it also just could never get all the way there.

The Avengers: It's alright. When it's firing on all cylinders, it's awesome. When it can barely turn the ignition though...

Films: 62
MST3K/Rifftrax: 16