Every Film You've Watched in 2017

teenalphabro

You're Next: wild hair rewatch with the house guests last night. Still holds up. Very well-written. Lead character is amazing. Genre classic.

The Quiet Ones: review forthcoming

Features: 64

Shorts: 21

Documentaries: 5

Rewatches: 0

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Speed: Saw it for the first time last night. I'M SORRY I WAITED SO LONG. Talk about a classic thriller. Well paced, well written characters, terrific stunt work and dialogue. 10/10 movie.

The Last Witch Hunter: I knew this starred Vin Diesel, but what were Michael Caine and Elijah Wood doing here??! Perfectly decent action-fantasy film.

3 hours ago, Donomark said:

Speed: Saw it for the first time last night. I'M SORRY I WAITED SO LONG. Talk about a classic thriller. Well paced, well written characters, terrific stunt work and dialogue. 10/10 movie.

I know, right?! Totally better than Singin' in the Rain....

Also, do you have shares in this Gumball show, Ricky? I don't think I'd have ever heard of it if you weren't bigging it up on the forums/Tirades wiki.

4 hours ago, Donomark said:

It's been a few years since I last saw Speed, but it surprisingly held up. My only real complaint (as it was the first time I saw it in the theater) is that Annie should be nowhere near the final showdown. I get why she is, but she would have been whisked to a hospital like the rest of the passengers.

1 hour ago, The Master said:

It's been a few years since I last saw Speed, but it surprisingly held up. My only real complaint (as it was the first time I saw it in the theater) is that Annie should be nowhere near the final showdown. I get why she is, but she would have been whisked to a hospital like the rest of the passengers.

They write their way around it though. Masterfully, I might add!

3 hours ago, slothian said:

I know, right?! Totally better than Singin' in the Rain....

Also, do you have shares in this Gumball show, Ricky? I don't think I'd have ever heard of it if you weren't bigging it up on the forums/Tirades wiki.

Nope, am just convinced that James and Damien are the true writers of it.

Hey Mike, if I made a Gumball podcast. would you consider it for Earth-2.net?

Edited by Rjoyadet
It was worth asking the master

6 hours ago, Donomark said:

I also saw it for the first time not long ago. I agree.

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind: Took me a while to warm up to, and not having grown up with Chuck Barris being a household name, it didn't have quite he subversive edge I think it was going for, but ultimately I enjoyed it. Sam Rockwell remains amazing.

All Eyez On Me: In a world where Straight Outta Compton sets the bar for the Hip Hop icons biopic, this just doesn't cut it. Demetrius Shipp Jr. does an admirable job and looks the most like Pac than anyone on the planet, but the narrative is pre-supposing people both know and/or care about him, so the flow and pace is WAY too fast. All of a sudden Pac is a part of Digital Underground. All of a sudden he's making movies. There's no real transition. Most of the movie is made up of big moments that are depicted with such bombast that there's hardly any room to breathe or appreciate them. At times it's cartoonishly maudlin. It's too attached to it's main character.

The biggest shame is that Tupac's life was every bit as Shakespearean as the movie embellishes, but the tone is too operatic, too histrionic to be effective. 

Tupac: Resurrection definitely does the job. I was barely in high school when it first came out, but it was so well received at the time it reignited theories that he was still alive. Documentaries relay the story more than reenactments can IMO.

I'll be honest tho, most of my education of the heavy hitters of rap in the 90s, Pac, Biggie and NWA, came from VH1's Behind the Music :P

All I've heard of All Eyez On Me comes from a reviewer I have a bead on on CBC radio who said that it is completely without grit. I recall him praising SOC but also said it was VERY gritty. If SOC was "VERY gritty" and I thought it was a little sanitized (my only real complaint) then there's not a chance in hell that I'll see that Wikipedia biopic. Resurrection is great. I watched that with my dad, who is so far from the target audience and he liked it too. The Behind the Music's are good too as that is the era of the classic BTMs.

Fright Night (1985): Decent 80s teen horror film that's only flaw is the character of "Evil" Ed, who is FUCKING INSUFFERABLE.

Fright Night (2011): Liked this better due to energetic performances from Colin Farrel, Anton Yelchin and David Tennant, the latter who is awesome. Christopher Mintz-Plasse plays a better version of the Ed character who you sympathize with.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid - Rodrick Rules: the kids wanted me to watch this with them, so I did. I've seen another one of these (there are three). This is dumb and harmless. The kids like it. Steve Zahn is always good. Rachael Harris is delightful as the mother. I've come to the point where I have the hots for the mother character in kids movies, so that's a thing I have to reckon with.

Beyond the Gates: review forthcoming

Sex Boss: short film on the BtG blu ray. Not great. A few funny moments.

Features: 69

Shorts: 22

Documentaries: 5

Rewatches: 0

Fright Night Part II: Main character and Roddy McDowell return for a pointless rehash of this first.

Fright Night 2: New Blood: A requel (?) of the remake, with a gender flipped version of the main protagonist who is 98% of why I love this movie. Jaime Murray is hot as hell, and a pretty good villain too. The last act is confusing tho.