Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Every Film You've Watched in 2017

235 posts in this topic

Posted

Mediocre Hitchcock in my book. There's a couple standout sequences, but it's not as clever or gripping as the best of his work. 

Posted

Mediocre Hitchcock in my book. There's a couple standout sequences, but it's not as clever or gripping as the best of his work. 

That's what I'm leaning towards. I've only seen a handful of others in full (Strangers on a Train, Rear Window, Vertigo, North by Northwest, Psycho, and The Birds) but most are probably better.

Posted

I'd rate all of those better. North by Northwest is definitely a better Cary Grant movie. 

Posted

Gifted: A film starring Chris Evans about a guy who's taken in his dead sister's genius little girl and fights her grandmother in custody over determining how best she should be raised. Decent performances doesn't really make this mopey, almost smug film worth watching. 

Posted (edited)

Cry Wilderness, The Time Travelers, Avalanche, The Beast of the Hollow Mountain, Starcrash, The Land That Time Forgot, The Loves of Hercules: MST3K. New Season. Thoughts at a later time.

Kubo and the Three Strings: Absolutely wonderful. I love stop-motion and this might be one of the most inventive and moving cases of it that I can remember. Yes, I am including Nightmare Before Christmas in there.

An American Tail: Fievel Goes West: No. Just... it misses all the point of the original.

Films: 55
Made-For-TV Movie: 2
MST3K/Rifftrax: 10
Repeats: 1

Best Film So Far: All About Eve
Best Film So Far that isn't one of Will's five favorite of all time: Duck Soup

Worst Film So Far That Isn't Showgirls: Cruel Intentions 2

Edited by dc20willsave

Posted

An American Tail: Fievel Goes West: No. Just... it misses all the point of the original.

I have to disagree with you, at least when it comes to sheer quality. It's not a classic, but I think it's an improvement on the original on pretty much all fronts -- including the villain, the songs, and the direction. It also removes (though doesn't necessarily resolve) the previous film's biggest plothole (i.e. where are all the dogs?) On a more subjective note, it's one of two films starring Jimmy Stewart where I don't find him insufferable. 

Posted

Unforgettable: Rosario Dawson gets harassed and terrified by Katherine Heigel for 90 minutes. There's a microscopic level of racial commentary one can pick out if they're feeling frisky. Otherwise it's a movie we've all seen half a dozen times. But I love Rosario Dawson, so it gets a pass.

Posted

Kung Fu Killers: Definitely going on my 'comfort food movie' list. 

Films Watched: 52

Posted

Cry Wilderness, The Time Travelers, Avalanche, The Beast of the Hollow Mountain, Starcrash, The Land That Time Forgot, The Loves of Hercules: MST3K. New Season. Thoughts at a later time.

We finished the season last night. Still gathering thoughts.

Posted

Pacific Rim: I fucking adore this movie with all my heart. I can't think of a bad thing to say about it, honest.

Films Watched: 53