Help influence Episode 40!

slothian

Yes, you can help influence not only the film Pandy & I use as the joint review, but the homework we assign each other to plot the range of their career. As announced in Episode 38, our subject will be Denzel Washington.

Pandy & I will take an executive decision on what makes the joint review on Friday 18th March so get your ideas in before then!

NB) We won't be covering 2 Guns, as it's already been covered on Comic Reel-lief.

Malcolm X is an almost required choice. You could also take a related road and cover Mo' Better Blues, Washington's first collaboration with Spike Lee. I'm going to campaign hard for Devil in a Blue Dress; it's a noir set in the '40s with a black lead and director, a perspective that the racism of the original noir era excluded. Training Day is another one on the required list, as it's the film he won hisĀ Oscar for. A revenge film like Man on Fire or The Equalizer, or a later acclaimed performance film like Flight, could also occupy the last slot.

Training Day and Malcolm X are musts.

Pretty much this. Not gonna lie, if neither of these are covered I'm gonna be annoyed. Both are roles you can't go ten seconds discussing Denzel without bringing either up.

Like Stavros, I too didn't get much outta American Gangster (besides the Jay-Z tie-in song). What Denzel does there, he did so much better in other roles. The thing about him now is that he's made himself comfortable in a recognizable sort of persona that people still enjoy. His earlier stuff in the 90s throughout 2001 are more heartfelt and gutsy performances.

Pretty much this. Not gonna lie, if neither of these are covered I'm gonna be annoyed. Both are roles you can't go ten seconds discussing Denzel without bringing either up.

Duly noted, although I'd advise against playing this card too often. I'm not about to give people carte blanche on choices by going "do it, or I'll be mad!!!" Otherwise known as The Hemmings Adaptation Incident.

Trolling me repeatedly on Twitter works much better!

Duly noted, although I'd advise against playing this card too often. I'm not about to give people carte blanche on choices by going "do it, or I'll be mad!!!" Otherwise known as The Hemmings Adaptation Incident.

Trolling me repeatedly on Twitter works much better!

Understood.