Help influence Episode 41!

slothian

Yes, you can help influence not only the film Pandy & I use as the joint review, but the homework we assign each other to plot the range of their career. As announced in Episode 39, our subject will be Tom Hanks.

Pandy & I will take an executive decision on what makes the joint review on Friday 21st April so get your ideas in before then!

EDIT: Huh, that was my 5,000th post.

Edited by slothian
Happy 5000 to me!!! #notinaTolandway

Philadelphia, Saving Private Ryan, and for a silly one, Cloud Atlas or one of the Dan Brown trilogy.

Not a big fan of the Gump. It was a blind spot for years but after finally seeing it I didn't feel like I'd missed anything all those years.

Edited by Stavros

Not a big fan of the Gump. It was a blind spot for years but after finally seeing it I didn't feel like I'd missed anything all those years.

Ditto. Honestly, it was always way too schmaltzy. It suffered from what I like to call The Grease Effect. It's when you take a source that was highly critical of the past, hand it to someone who then sands the rough edges of and now it's a loving look at a bygone age. It doesn't help that Forrest is infallible in the film which gives Tom Hanks little to work with as far as putting out a nuanced performance.

Ditto. Honestly, it was always way too schmaltzy. It suffered from what I like to call The Grease Effect. It's when you take a source that was highly critical of the past, hand it to someone who then sands the rough edges of and now it's a loving look at a bygone age. It doesn't help that Forrest is infallible in the film which gives Tom Hanks little to work with as far as putting out a nuanced performance.

It's also a film where they're clearly way too impressed with the technology involved. Stuff that was a selling point in the 90s looks pretty bad now.

I'll echo the anti-Gump sentiment.  Big and Cast Away are probably better "signature" roles to study Hanks' range.

Also some others, Bachelor Party, A League of Their Own, Toy Story and Apolo Thirteen.

All the more reason for Ian at least to cover it: To antagonize you and his other enemies.

Still very early on in the deliberation process, but the likelihood is we'll do one of his pre-Oscar roles from the 80s, one of his biggest performances from the 90s and a 21st century film. "Biggest" doesn't necessarily mean one of his Oscar wins, but the Gump backlash (relatively speaking) interests me, having not seen it before.

Keep the suggestions coming!

EDIT: I do not consider Steve Rogers to be my enemy, for the avoidance of doubt.

Edited by slothian
Ian has no enemies

one of his pre-Oscar roles from the 80s

Mazes and Monsters (seriously, it's a real thing), Splash (the movie that really cemented him), Big, The 'Burbs (a lot smarter than its rep)

one of his biggest performances from the 90s

Wow, so many. A League of Their Own, Philadelphia, That Thing You Do! Also, +1 to the "Forrest Gump is overrated, saccharine garbage" pile. Also, The Bonfire of the Vanities could be interesting as one of the most legendary Hollywood fiascos of all time.

a 21st century film

Road to Perdition, Cast Away, Catch Me If You Can.

How has Saving Mr. Banks not been brought up yet?

To be fair, a lot more films, including others featuring Hanks as IRL persons (Apollo 13, Bridge of Spies) are probably more worthy of the HAA! spotlight, but this is worth a little more than a mention in the career rundown, just due to Pandy's love of making parodies out of George Banks material ;)