Episode 958

RSS

Dan and Mike return to discuss the first three episodes of the exceptionally racially insensitive Batman serial from 1943, as well as the first two episodes of the 1966 Batman television program starring Adam West and Burt Ward. Prepare yourself for endless gushing over Frank Gorshin. [ 1:24:47 || 42.2 MB ]

As for watching Batman '66: don't do too many in a row, as the formula becomes tiresome rather quickly, spoiling an otherwise fun program.

This. Two stories/four episodes in one sitting is stretching it.

One episode a night, five nights a week was really the ideal way to consume Batman '66.

As for watching Batman '66: don't do too many in a row, as the formula becomes tiresome rather quickly, spoiling an otherwise fun program.

This. Two stories/four episodes in one sitting is stretching it.

One episode a night, five nights a week was really the ideal way to consume Batman '66.

Duly noted.

I watched about five or six parts of the '43 serial back in college, and really enjoyed them based on the elements you guys liked as well. Those being the way Batman and Robin were done. The incognito espionage, the persona shifts. I really found those fun. But I also very strongly remember the line about Daka's color and the narration that just got worse with each episode. Stuff like the fight scenes and awful budget bounced off me TBH. I found the thing mostly fascinating. 

It would be difficult to overemphasize the fact that We Were At War, and that Batman '43 was not even kind of the only piece of entertainment that had fairly ugly depictions of the Japanese at the time.

It can't be denied, though, that Japan got it way, way worse than Germany did.

On 5/30/2017 at 3:08 PM, Dan said:

It can't be denied, though, that Japan got it way, way worse than Germany did.

Some of that was anger over Pearl Harbor, but most of it was racism.

Racism was standard, so it is not surprising that an adaptation of a comic book character would be filled with racism.

Comics at the time were just awful on race. Go look at some of the "propaganda" covers they have on Superdickery. It really makes me cringe, with the Japanese being basically demons. A Superman covers encouraged readers to "slap a Jap!"

And then we get Whitewash in Captain America and Steamboat in Captain Marvel.

Not that humanity is any better today.

18 hours ago, S-T said:

Some of that was anger over Pearl Harbor, but most of it was racism.

Racism was standard, so it is not surprising that an adaptation of a comic book character would be filled with racism.

Comics at the time were just awful on race. Go look at some of the "propaganda" covers they have on Superdickery. It really makes me cringe, with the Japanese being basically demons. A Superman covers encouraged readers to "slap a Jap!"

And then we get Whitewash in Captain America and Steamboat in Captain Marvel.

Not that humanity is any better today.

I think humanity is overwhelmingly better, just not as much better as we'd like to think we are.

But yeah, Golden Age Batman was about as progressive as one could imagine at the time.

100588_v1.jpg