X-Men: Dark Phoenix

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

In DARK PHOENIX, the X-MEN face their most formidable and powerful foe: one of their own, Jean Grey. During a rescue mission in space, Jean is nearly killed when she is hit by a mysterious cosmic force. Once she returns home, this force not only makes her infinitely more powerful, but far more unstable. Wrestling with this entity inside her, Jean unleashes her powers in ways she can neither comprehend nor contain. With Jean spiraling out of control, and hurting the ones she loves most, she begins to unravel the very fabric that holds the X-Men together. Now, with this family falling apart, they must find a way to unite -- not only to save Jean's soul, but to save our very planet from aliens who wish to weaponize this force and rule the galaxy.

I like that they're going all out there with the crazy space stuff for this one. If this is going to be the last hurrah before the inevitable reboot, might as well go crazy.

• 4 months later...

Gonna be the lone voice on this and say that this trailer has me interested. There's an intensity to the scenes and acting, and between how MacAvoy's Xavier looks and the general look of the X-Men, it looks like an X-Men film. I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment, and they're for sure gutting the heart of the Dark Phoenix story, but I'm excited to see this.

On 3/2/2019 at 1:03 AM, The Master said:

Yup. Even though we're three timelines removed at this point, it seems the filmmakers are trying to retain some constants.

Fun. I wish they would interpret the Phoenix as a cosmic being possessing Jean, instead of her just being immensely powerful.

On 3/8/2019 at 1:07 AM, The Master said:

From what I understand, the trailers for Dark Phoenix are underplaying the cosmic / alien portion of this movie.

That's my problem with it.

😉

I'm a continuity nerd. 

Yeah, it looks great. I still think the worst thing to happen to this round of X-films is the casting of Jennifer Lawrence. Not because she's bad, but because she became the world's biggest movie star after First Class forcing her into a bigger role going forward.

14 hours ago, Dread said:

Yeah, it looks great. I still think the worst thing to happen to this round of X-films is the casting of Jennifer Lawrence. Not because she's bad, but because she became the world's biggest movie star after First Class forcing her into a bigger role going forward.

Agreed. And I still haven't seen Apocalypse and from all accounts it's lame, but I am unashamedly hyped for this movie. It looks like an X-Men film, and the majority of the franchise are just character tangents.