Episode 11.02

Ian and Dave's coverage of Star Cops continues with another three episodes. In "Trivial Games and Paranoid Pursuits," Spring travels to the space station Ronald Regan in order to try and get permission to place officers on US space facilities. He is soon joined by Kenzy and together they uncover a conspiracy to hide laboratory accident. In "This Case to be Opened in a Million Years," Spring is forced to take leave on Earth and finds himself framed by the Mafia who are using scheduled nuclear waste rocket shots for smuggling. "In Warm Blood" sees a ship turn up with all of the crew dead, and Spring finds his investigation hampered by the Japanese corporation who own it, and Devis utterly fails at undercover work. They also discuss one episode's awful racism, instigate Space Hair Watch, and find they share similar opinions on The Rocky Horror Picture Show. [ 2:38:19 || 62.5 MB ]

• 2 weeks later...

it appeared to me that the pool table on board the Ronald Reagan had a bunch of either red or yellow balls.  What on earth is going to happen to good old fashioned american eight ball pool?

also, I'd be very interested to hear about "galloping galaxies."  according to wiki it was only two seasons, a total of ten episodes, and no commercial release ever occurred.  

"In warm blood"....Issues I have with the stereotyping:

Anna Shoun:

1. I don't think it makes sense to overdo the Stereotyping of a Japanese who has a western name.  Unless japanese giving their kids western names has come into fashion in this sci fi future, Japanese with western names are usually born in the west and/or have one parent who isn't Japanese. 

2. Shoun?  I have and do work with a lot of japanese.  I knew a kid whose given name was "Shun", but i can't think of a single Japanese surname that I've encountered that is only one syllable.  

That brings me to "mr ho". There's no way in my limited experience that a "ho" is Japanese.  Look up "don ho", the hawaiian singer.  His surname is Chinese, and (at least in mandarin) would be pronounced more like "huh" . It turns out there is a Vietnamese Don Ho as well.  Now again, what about a Japanese CEO who is of a mixed background, for example one parent Chinese?  Perhaps in some sci fi future, but my impression is that such a thing is going to be really rare in Japan even now.

It all looked very overtly stereotypical to me, but so does so much of the rest of star cops.  Again, I work with japanese (from Japan, but also japanese American) and they DO mix up the R and L, from time to time, depending on their level of fluency in English.  There is a very real linguistically relevant reason that they do that, just like Germans really do tend to use the V sound in place of a W when they speak English.  Back to the japanese... they actually mix up R and L in writing when they are thinking of things phonetically and just writing them out.  An engineer with whom I work put a bunch of our mess of safety gloves in a cardboard box and labeled it "safety groves", honestly.  I was recently looking at a writing diagram in a technical manual for a flow measuring device, made by a Japanese company, and the English language manual actually labeled the two wires for AC power as "white" and "brack".  It's kind of funny when these things happen, because you don't think that it really happens, but it does.  I pointed out both of the above examples to a japanese American coworker.... he thought it was funny, in what I think is the same way I do, with a sort of sympathetic embarrassment.  

bowing doesn't happen much to my knowledge among the japanese in my workplace.... but I work for a japanese company in the USA... and when bigwigs come from Japan, I really don't see much of them or how they interact with others.  My assumption is that things are very different in Japan, based on what I've heard, and possibly in more ways than I might expect or would ever be exposed to, not being either japanese American or in anyway japanese myself.  One thing that occurs to me is that when i taught abroad, my japanese and Korean students did often do a quick head bow upon seeing me.