Zelda continuity

JackFetch

I never understood why Ocarina is held in such high regard. People act like it's the greatest game ever. I didn't really like it that much. I did like Windwaker up to the point where I just got in the boat and went after all the treasures. As for Twilight, I wasn't impressed, but that probably had more to do with the Wii.

Ocarina was the first of it's kind, and it was great at what it did. It was a sprawling, massive, immersive game that practically invented the 3-D Action Adventure Game. Twilight Princess took those elements and improved them.

mario64.png

Guest DCAUFan1051

I have no problems with the other Zelda or any other games themselves

my problem is with the damn controllers I play video games one handed and the easiest controllers for me and I can kick anyone's ass on are the NES, SNES, and PSOne, PS2.

Systems I did not and do not play on because of the oversized controllers :sick::sick: : DreamCast, XBox, XBox 360 Nintendo64, GameCube I love the look of the Wii but holy hell I'd never be able to do that.

as far as Zelda games themselves I like A Link To The Past The Best because that's what I grew up on and can continually play because it's just fun!!!! :D:D

Guest DCAUFan1051
I have to ask, why do you play games one handed?

I was born with a very mild case of cerebral palsy that affects the right side of my body, my brain never sent signals to my right hand and foot to fully function and grow. When I was younger I had an Atrai 2600 and used the joystick with my left hand then I got into Nintendo and found a way to play one handed.

I'd take the controller in my hand place the bluk of it on my leg if I was sitting in a chair or on the floor in front of the TV. What I do is I hold the part under the D-Pad with my ring and pinky fingers then I use my index and middle fingers for the D-Pad itself. my thumb does all the button mashing :D see the below pics to get an idea of what I mean. It's how I've always played and kicked ass too!!! :devil: :D

86ae9fe6.jpg

e6dfdc38.jpg

hope that answers the question D.W. :yes:

Man, that's insane. I know that one company actually made a one handed controller for the PS1 and PS2, and here's a guy that modded a 360 controller.

ben-heck-one-hand-360pad-490.jpg

I've done some minor system modding and whatnot, and at some point, I'm going to try to make something like this. If I have any success, I'll be sure to let you know.

• 5 months later...

This is an old thread, but I figure I have some insight into the discussion.

WARNING: EXTREME SPOILERS FOR ALL ZELDA GAMES.

Being a huge Zelda fan, I've done extensive research on this. For simplicity's sake, I'm not quoting sources. However, if you'd like them, I'm sure I can dig them up.

As it turns out, there IS an overall timeline that connects the games. Many of the minds behind the Zelda series have said that the games have an incredibly complicated timeline backstory that they (mostly) haven't taken the time to reveal.

Basically, the gist is that Link and (usually) Zelda are reincarnated to fight evil whenever it arises, normally in the form of Ganondorf, the Gerudo Prince of Thieves.

This is how the timeline goes. I'm ignoring the handheld games (except Phantom Hourglass) because most of them can theoretically go anywhere.

Ocarina of Time

At this point, "The Hero" is only mentioned as a prophesy, not yet a legend. Unlike most other Zelda games, there are no references to any previous Heroes, and it is implied that this Link is the first hero, "The Hero of Time."

This game also introduces Ganon as Ganondorf, and shows his origin story as a Gerudo who betrayed the king of Hyrule.

In this game, there are technically two endings. One ending is in the "dark future" where Link defeats Ganon after Hyrule Castle has already been destroyed. The other ending is where Link goes back to his childhood, where he meets with the young Zelda again, thus altering events of the aforementioned "Dark Future." this backwards travel in time actually splits the timeline in two. (this fact actually does need sourcing)

In the "Dark Future," Ganon is sealed in the Sacred Realm.

In the "pacified time" where Hyrule was never conquered, Ganondorf is arrested by the sages.

In the "Dark Future" timeline, we get..

The Wind Waker

This game is highly notable for its direct confirmation of the "Legend of Hyrule/The Hero/Zelda". The "Hero of Time" from Ocarina of Time is shown in ancient tapestries and statues in this game, and his actions are directly responsible for much of the current state of things.

At some point after the ending of Ocarina of Time, Ganon escaped from the Sacred Realm and attacked Hyrule. However, Link (The Hero of Time) had traveled back to the alternate "Peaceful" timeline, and wasn't there to stop him. Ganon nearly defeated Hyrule, but the Gods, rather than allowing Ganondorf to take the land, sank Hyrule beneath a sea, and the Hylians took refuge on the mountaintops--now islands.

One extremely cool thing to note is that several of the islands in Wind Waker are in the same geographical areas that they should be on Ocarina of Time's map. The Deku tree is directly south of a volcano (the remains of Death Mountain), and Hyrule Castle is to the west of both of them.

In this story, Link is reborn as a young boy who defeats Ganondorf and sets out with Zelda to find a new land to call Hyrule.

Phantom Hourglass

This game is a direct sequel to The Wind Waker, with Link and Tetra/Zelda on their quest to find a new Hyrule.

The Legend of Zelda

Judging from the fact that this game's map has absolutely no correlations with any of the other Zelda games' maps, it seems likely that this game takes place in the "new Hyrule" that Link and Tetra find.

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

This game is stated to be a direct sequel to The Legend of Zelda.

In the "Peaceful" timeline, we get...

Majora's Mask

This was really just a side-story, but it involves the Hero of Time (as a young boy), and is technically a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time.

Twilight Princess

This game takes place some hundreds of years after Ocarina of Time.

It's important to note that the Hyrule map for Twilight Princess is extremely similar to Ocarina of Time's, but the Wii version of the game (including the map) was completely horizontally flipped so that Link would be right-handed in gameplay. It seems that Hyrule Castle has been completely rebuilt (perhaps even in a different spot) after its destruction in Ocarina of Time.

Ganondorf had been imprisoned and nearly executed, but used the Triforce of Power to defy death. The sages sent Ganondorf to the Twilight Realm, where the evil sorcerors and witchcraft-users of the past had been sent. Ganondorf makes a deal with Zant, a lowly servant in the Twilight Realm, that allows for Zant to conquer Hyrule, and--eventually--for Ganondorf to escape back into the normal world.

In this game, Ganondorf is seemingly finally killed, but, before he dies, he states that it doesn't "end here", and that "the history of light and shadow will be written in blood." Ganondorf is alive in some form in later games, however, so his death and/or resurrection is not explained. The reference to blood may be in line with the plotline of Zelda II: the Adventure of Link, in which the main antagonists are attempting to kill Link and use his blood as a sacrifice to revive Ganon. Perhaps a similar ritual was performed on Ganondorf here? Or perhaps the overly complicated fashion in which Ganon was able to return from the Twilight Realm had some strange loophole that allowed him to live?

An interesting thing to note is that Twilight Princess and The Wind Waker are parallel stories. The heroes from both games are basically alternate-universe versions of each other.

A Link to the Past

One again, the game map is similar to the Ocarina of Time map. It doesn't look anything like it at first, but it makes sense when you look at it from the right angle. If you tilt the ALttP map about 45 degrees clockwise, everything clicks into place (with the exception of the forest and Kakariko village). Lake Hylia is directly South, the desert is due West, Hyrule Castle is in the center, Death Mountain is East, and Zora's Domain is directly south of Death Mountain.

GUH. NO MORE TYPING FOR NOW. :P

I will make a handy-dandy graph charting all of this when I find the time.

Guest DCAUFan1051

this isn't a continuity comment at all considering I only play A Link To The Past but I love playing that game. It's easy and difficult all at the same time. I'd love to see a review of the Zelda franchise from James & DW or any of the Earth-2 people that would want to do it :D The only problems I have now when playing ALTTP is finding all the heart pieces.... thank god for gamefaqs :laugh: :devil:

• 2 years later...

For the 25th Anniversary Nintendo has released an official timeline

http://www.warpzoned.com/?p=16645

1. Skyward Sword

2. The Minish Cap

3. Four Swords

4. Ocarina of Time

Timeline A: Link is Killed by Ganon in OoT

5A. A Link to the Past

6A. Oracle of Ages/Oracle of Seasons

7A. Link’s Awakening

8A. The Legend of Zelda

9A. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Timeline B:

Link Defeats Ganon in OoT, Returns to His Boyhood Timeline, Continues From the Past

5B. Majora’s Mask

6B. Twilight Princess

7B. Four Swords Adventures

Timeline C:

Link Defeats Ganon in OoT, Returns to His Boyhood Timeline, Continues From the Future

5C. The Wind Waker

6C. Phantom Hourglass

7C. Spirit Tracks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Wow, official continuity was actually released and I didn't know about it? Sheesh.

I still can't beleive they actually factored in a third timeline where there's a theoretical Game Over. We never considered "What if he failed, what if one of those times we dies actually stuck" did we?

I'm amazed Timeline A spawns three of my favortiest Zelda games ever.