Preacher on AMC

Missy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would someone please explain to me this Preacher fella'. How could a man kill Satan and God?

MAJOR PREACHER SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!!!

I'm serious!!! Be warned!!!

Jesse (Preacher) didn't. The Saint of Killers did. Think of him as a cowboy crow -- a man so filled with rage that his heart froze the gates of Hell upon his death, which prevented damned souls from entering. (At the same time the Angel of Death lamented about being bored.) The only way Lucifer could get the fires going again (and thus unfreezing the gates and allowing the damned entrance) was to send the unnamed man back to Earth, but the Angel of Death saw this as an opportunity to fix his boredom and crafted his sword into two revolvers that will never empty, will always hit their target, and kill whomever they hit.

As the now-named Saint of Killers left Hell and the fires once again roared, Satan mouthed off and the Saint shot him. Leaving Hell (presumably) in the hands of the once-Angel of Death.

While back on Earth he killed those who killed him and his family, and kept on killing because that's what he does.

At some point the Saint learned that God set him on this path and sought vengeance... and got it.

Ok, so who is the Preacher? And why did he want to fight God?

One day an angel mated with a demon, spawning an all-powerful/all-knowing being named Genesis. This baby 1) knew the way to Paradise, and 2) had The Word -- the power to command anyone to do anything, even God. (Think of it as a super Jedi mind trick.)

God was so frightened by Genesis that he had it imprisoned and fled Heaven. Somehow Genesis broke free and bonded itself to a Baptist Preacher named Jesse Custer, who was instantly granted The Word.

Thanks to an angel, Jesse learns that God quit and sets out to find him -- to use The Word to tell God to get his ass back on The Throne.

And that's the high concept behind Preacher.

(Though never referred to as "Preacher" or "The Preacher", Jesse Custer is the title character.)

• 1 month later...
  • 9 years later...
The long journey of Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon's cult comic series "Preacher" continues and this time it might be headed for the small screen. Badass Digest is reporting that AMC is developing the series for television and have already ordered a pilot based on the series. Previous reports had director DJ Caruso still attached to a film adaptation, but that doesn't appear to be the case for this venture. Though no names are given, the site reports that the ones attached are "big and impressive."

This all remains unconfirmed by AMC but given their current programming, the comic based The Walking Dead and hit western series Hell on Wheels, "Preacher" would fit in nicely with the rest of their schedule. If true, the adaptation could very well still not happen given the comic's rocky past including an abandoned HBO pilot that never rolled in front of cameras after nearly four years in development. Check back here for confirmation and other info on the matter as we learn it.

Created by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon, "Preacher" tells the story of a down-and-out Texas preacher possessed by Genesis, a supernatural entity conceived by the unnatural coupling of an angel and a demon. Given immense powers, the preacher, teamed with an old girlfriend and a hard-drinking Irish vampire, set out on a journey across America to find God -- who apparently had abandoned his duties in heaven -- and hold him accountable for his negligence.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=111477

AMC has got TWD (Supernatural), Hell On Wheels (American Western swagger) and Justified (Daddy Issues + American Western swagger). What they don't have is the censorship-free content creation license like HBO, Showtime or Netflix. I'm not the kind of guy who shoots down PG-13 horror, but I don't want to see a PG-13 Preacher.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have to admit that I was pulling for either Walton Goggins or Timothy Oliphant now that Justified is over. They both would bring different, but powerful presence to the role, and they're free. Dominic Cooper wasn't really on my list, but I think he could be just right for the role.

Hugo Root (http://deadline.com/2015/04/w-earl-brown-cast-preacher-hugo-root-amc-pilot-1201414056/) and Vyla Quincannon http://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/elizabeth-perkins-boards-amcs-preacher-creator-garth-ennis-talks-comic-loyalty/ )have been cast.

Quincannon seems like a gender swapped version of Odin Quincannon, which is fine with me.

I sincerely hope they don't leave out Jess's spirit guide.