Football - of the soccer variety

slothian

Here's the lie of the land:

- I support Leicester City, who are the division below the top English football league. Mock them, and you shalt pay.

- Arsenal (a London club) are in the lead, on course to take their 1st Premier League title since 2004. Behind them are the current champions, Manchester United. They won their first title since 2003 last season and have the squad to retain the title.

- Also in the "Big Four" are Chelsea & Liverpool. Chelsea won the 2005 & 2006 titles, but the manager who saw them to such success fell out with the Russian billionaire owner and has since left the club. Whilst the team can get away with results due to their expensive side, Avram Grant remains under pressure to perform. Liverpool haven't won the league since the turn of the 1990s, but a great squad and winning the European Champions League in 2005 have kept them in the frame, despite their league form being a step behind their "Big Four" rivals.

- Managers to respect: Martin O'Neill (Aston Villa), Sven Goran Eriksson (Man City)

- Managers to partially admire, even though they're probbaly crooked: Harry Redknapp (Portsmouth), Sam Allardyce (Newcastle)

- Managers to loathe with every inch of your being: Neil Warnock (Crystal Palace: Not in the Premiership, but still an absolute tosspot).

Are you talking about soccer? :laugh:

People need to realize that what ever America calls it, it's the right name.

Funny, I could have sorn your language was Eng...Ing....how do you spell it?!?

.....ah yes, that's right: E-N-G-L-I-S-H!!! If it came from the past, we thought of it first. Or nicked it from our empire. Either way, since the day a pig's bladder was first kicked around ye Merrie Olde England, we've been doing sport properly.

Football = a ball kicked by feet. Ergo "soccer" is the one true football. You guys play bastardised rugby when you play "football" - with padding because you're less hard to boot! :P

Merry Christmas, Yankland!!!

• 6 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

FIFA corruption really isn't anything new and there have been howls about both awarding Qatar the 2022 World Cup, and to a lesser extent Russia the 2018 event, since the dual announcement in December 2010. Neither country scored highest on the suitability reports, but a shit-ton of money talks.

The thing is, given that Sepp Blatter ("elected" FIFA President) is as sleazy as they come, nothing is likely to come of this.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

So awesome for the US to go after corporate criminals! You know, the ones not necessarily involved with the United States at all. The ones who pocketed a lot of money from soccer. Not the ones who intentionally tanked the world economy in order to embezzle billions of dollars. Those ones.

FIFA corruption really isn't anything new and there have been howls about both awarding Qatar the 2022 World Cup, and to a lesser extent Russia the 2018 event, since the dual announcement in December 2010. Neither country scored highest on the suitability reports, but a shit-ton of money talks.

The thing is, given that Sepp Blatter ("elected" FIFA President) is as sleazy as they come, nothing is likely to come of this.

So awesome for the US to go after corporate criminals! You know, the ones not necessarily involved with the United States at all. The ones who pocketed a lot of money from soccer. Not the ones who intentionally tanked the world economy in order to embezzle billions of dollars. Those ones.

Also, I don't give a fuck who does it - as long as FIFA get taken down, I'll be happy. Where's that John Oliver diatribe....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I

• 8 months later...

It's not much been mentioned (possibly for fear of jinxing it) but my home town football team Leicester City is currently top of the English top flight Football league. 

The team boasts not only the season's top scorer, Jamie Vardy (who a few years ago was playing in a non-league club and has gone on to achieve a new record of goals in consecutive matches - slightly racist but gets results), but also the second highest scorer Rihad Mahrez. The team is being held up as an example of team work and passion over big-money signings and expected results. 

Why is this special? Well, they're my team!

That's not the only reason though. This time last year they were at the bottom of the table with 17 points, fighting to stay in the Premier league - spoilers: they managed it. No-one really expected Leicester to do brilliantly well this season, with the bookmakers offering a 5000-1 bet on them winning the league. This year before today's match they had 50 points, established themselves as a team to be reckoned with and generally upset the natural order of the 'big 5' teams who usually end up doing the best annually. 

Today they faced 2nd place Manchester City who as a 'big 5' team had much more favourable odds of winning at the beginning of the season. It was a much anticipated clash as Leicester and City have emerged as front runners of the season. 

We won 3-1. Mahrez scored one of them. 

This season has been amazing as someone who comes from Leicester. My hometown team whose fortunes have fluctuated since I started actively taking interest are now a contender for winning top flight football - and it's no fluke! 

There are now 13 matches left to play. Can we keep this performance up? Can a usually unimportant team achieve victory this season? Will we bottle it? I call upon you all to take an interest in the remainder of the season and share with me the excitement, drama and (hopefully) joy of Leicester City Football Club 2015/16!

Awooga!!! 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...