What are you watching/reading?

Shinmaru

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished the first season of Gantz.

Liked it for the most part, but things moved... soo.... slow.

That was seriously about 5 episodes worth of story stretched to 13.

Yeah, but the problem is you don't want to skip anything because you know that when the next this happens it'll be very cool or interesting. Second season diverges from the manga, to its detriment imo.

Speaking of, Bleach finally returned to its Manga-based stories this week- yey. They did it with a recap episode to bring us up to date on a series of fights that started an entire season ago- boo. Lets just get on with this!

Checked out Blood: The Last Vampire. Very nice animation, little short on exposition.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched Porco Rosso last night. It was a lot of fun. Great action sequences, fun story. Probably my favourite of the few Studio Ghibli films I've seen.

Which ones have you seen? Porco's fun but I'd place it about 7th or 8th on my list of Miyazaki's films alone, let alone the whole Studio Ghibli.

Princess Monoke and My Neighbor Totoro. Thinking about it, I might have enjoyed My Neighbor Totoro a little more, but Princess Monoke just felt too heavy handed with its message. I enjoyed all three though.

Mononoke is my favourite overall, but I certainly agree that it can be heavy handed. I highly advise any of Spirited Away, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and Howl's Moving Castle. Spirited Away is a total dreamlike fairy tale, and probably the most critically acclaimed of the lot, although personally I love Laputa and Nuasicaa for their sci-fi/steampunk obsession with flight.

I really should watch Totoro though, its the only one of Miyazaki's significant films I'm not seen.

I will say that Mononoke is one of the best looking movies I’ve seen.

There’s a few Ghibli movies I’ve been meaning to see, with Spirited Away and Nausicaa at the top of the pile. I’ll probably watch Grave of the Fireflies at some point too, but it sounds almost unbearably depressing.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Wait till you see the ridiculous manliness of it later on.

OUR ROBOTS RUN ON OUR HOT BLOODED MANLINESS! WE THROW GALAXIES AROUND AS SHURIKEN! FUCK YEAH!

In other news, have just watched through the entirety of Hakuouki's first season in just over 24 hours. It's been a while since I mainlined a show like this (12 episodes long helps, though). Typical loosely historically based reverse harem show, but goddamn if it isn't a guilty pleasure.

This week's Bleach (293) was just AWESOME, Aizen is definitely one of the most badass villains I've ever seen, disarming to look at but monstrously evil, wickedly intelligent and utterly evil beyond words.

I've edited my Bleach collection down to remove all the shit non-anime-based seasons so it's all one great coherent story now with no time-wasting. That being said I get a nasty feeling in the pit of my stomach every time I load up a new episode because any moment they might suspend the ongoing story and go off on a tangent for 6 months YET AGAIN. If they do I'll utterly lose my mind, they're finally getting to the moment they've been building to for the last 150 episodes, Ichigo vs Aizen II.

Just checked wiki, it's guaranteed to follow this story until 298. Still won't have finished it but that's at least two months of good stuff to go before they cut me off.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm watching Shuffle right now. There are precisely two reasons I am still watching this after 7 episodes.

1. I bought it (was part of the blind 3 shows/$30 bag I got at ACen)

2. A certain someone else loves it, and it's been awhile since I figure it may make for a fun episode of AP.

God damnit this is terrible. This is worse than watching TNA wrestling. I would prefer to listen to a Nickelback album than watch 2 episodes of this show. I would rather watch Death Note Live Action 1 than watch this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...