The "I need to vent" thread

Missy

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Currently trapped on an alcove hiding from the rain after a shitty interview for a job that pays less than I was earning four years ago.

Seriously, my job hunt veers somewhere between "your cv is impressive and we believe you could run a conference of a hundred international scientists" to "we're skeptical of your ability to post on Facebook". Urgh.

• 4 weeks later...

My boss done fucked up. We start with that. He is inept and has finally been called on this fact by his boss. His job was threatened on Thursday of last week and, in response, he did something? No one is quite clear as to what he did to fix the problems. One would assume he would do as told, but .... maybe? It is unclear.

Fast forward to today. His boss's boss's boss's (possibly boss's) boss pays us a visit. Every since word out of my boss's mouth was complete 100% Grade A BULLSHIT. During their tour, the question was raised as to why my job wasn't done. My boss gave the explanation that I under preform and that I am on probation. I overheard this and offered the truth of 'I have never been placed on probation. This is all from over the 3 day weekend. I have spent my entire day covering someone's vacation. The receiving area was not clear for today's shipment so I had to clean it up so that this shipment could fit into the door. I have had no help today and will not for the rest of the week. I in fact had to cut my lunch break short because I am the only one here. My job will take a backseat this week while I cover this area. If I can, I will, but I doubt it as I have been tasked to help in another area as well leaving me no time for myself. Next week, I will catch up, by Wednesday most likely. This is what happens when ------- goes on vacation." The assistant manager backed me up 100%.

I knew my boss threw me under the bus on the regular, he has even told me so. But to catch him in the act just sent me into a world of pissed off I rarely get to. I so hope he gets fired. I really do. I would throw a fucking party. With ice cream cake.

• 3 weeks later...

My boss. He was going off on both of the assistant managers today, and I felt like slapping him for the way he was talking to other people. Yeah, he is stressed because he is most likely losing his job on Friday, but that is no excuse. He dug the hole he now stands in. Instead of trying to climb out, he is trying to pull enough people in so that he can walk out over their broken bodies.

Example: He is bitching about a box being in a certain spot. 'Why is this here? Who is stupid enough to put this here?' It is things like this that are getting me in trouble. Serious, who put this here?' Then three people (including me) say in unplanned unison 'You did'.

But that is all window dressing. My hours were changed, my duties were expanded and my hours cut. I still have yet to been informed about any of these changes. I know of them because the HR director told me when I asked why I had Friday off. My boss will not speak to me AT ALL for whatever reason. Not that I want to talk to him, but I cannot do my job properly if I am not told things.

He has made 7 assistant managers quit already. Seven. Number Eight is putting in their two weeks and Number Nine is waiting to hear back on another job. I understand some turnover is expected, but the numbers just speak for themselves.

Fuck this guy.

• 2 weeks later...

Right.

Day started well - penultimate day in Scotland, starting in Fort William, and went round West Highland Museum, which was pretty nice. I then make my way to the bus station, as my Highland Rover ticket had one more day to run and I could use bus/train. 10 mins before the bus leaves, the bus driver tells me that I can only use the bus if there's no train to Glasgow as the train company is the main partner for my ticket. The train station being just across the road, I see that there's a train to Glasgow at 5:37pm. At that time, it was 12:55pm.

So I spent most of the afternoon in the station cafe, trying to stave off boredom. I catch the train, which weirdly takes as long to get to Glasgow as the bus would've (albeit 5 hours ahead). I get into Glasgow at 9:20pm, and my ticket doesn't work at the barrier, meaning I have to wait for a conductor to let me through. I get a taxi to my hotel, only for it to stop somewhat short and gesturing to where it would be. Not being entirely accurate, advice sees me wander around for 10 minutes. I finally get to my hotel at 10pm.

Dumping my full rucksack and second bag down, I walk out to find a Tesco or other supermarket for my nightcap. Once I get there, I'm informed that licensing means that they can't sell alcohol after 10pm. I can't buy a drink IN SCOTLAND. Unless I wanted a convivial pint in a pub, which I don't. I'm tired and I'm sour, and if I wasn't, I'd have hit up Austen ahead of time before I knew when I'd be getting into the city.

There's also a mini-rant about how long it took the takeaway to make my pizza, but in short, I'm pretty washed out and I'm looking forward to going home tomorrow. I did want to do a final museum (6 in 6 days) in the morning, and I might if I wake up on the right side of bed, but home is a lot more appealing right now.

So I spent most of the afternoon in the station cafe, trying to stave off boredom. I catch the train, which weirdly takes as long to get to Glasgow as the bus would've (albeit 5 hours ahead). I get into Glasgow at 9:20pm, and my ticket doesn't work at the barrier, meaning I have to wait for a conductor to let me through. I get a taxi to my hotel, only for it to stop somewhat short and gesturing to where it would be. Not being entirely accurate, advice sees me wander around for 10 minutes. I finally get to my hotel at 10pm.

Dumping my full rucksack and second bag down, I walk out to find a Tesco or other supermarket for my nightcap. Once I get there, I'm informed that licensing means that they can't sell alcohol after 10pm. I can't buy a drink IN SCOTLAND. Unless I wanted a convivial pint in a pub, which I don't. I'm tired and I'm sour, and if I wasn't, I'd have hit up Austen ahead of time before I knew when I'd be getting into the city.

Yeah, the barriers at Central, are pretty shit, you basically have a one in five chance of them not working for you.

I am currently DMing a D&D campaign. A large part of this is planning out the events of the night. One of the things I pride myself on is that I try to have at least one or two things for each player to do that they're good. I also usually procrastinate and do most of my work the day before. I chose to do otherwise and create this huge elaborate set piece encounter. One of my players contacts me a half hour ago, right after I did a couple of finishing touches, to inform me that her friend, who's playing and has missed a couple of sessions already, won't be coming tonight. The player who part of this encounter hinged around.

This is the universe telling me its alright to put shit off until the last minute because otherwise its going to throw shit I can't plan for in my face.

• 8 months later...

I've had writer's block since April. I have about three papers that are almost done that I haven't finished because I'm so afraid of failure. For the past couple of months, I've looked at the bottle of Jack Daniels on my kitchen counter and have wanted to drink the entire thing. I didn't drink the whole thing, but I just drank from it straight for awhile. I'm not looking for sympathy, I just needed to say that out loud after acting like everything was fine.

It's not something to make a habit of, but I wrote most of my university papers slightly buzzed. The first 3000 words that formed the base of my dissertation was the result of me sitting in a room from 10am with quite a few bottle of chilled berry cider and just feeling the flow for the rest of the day. It got results too, I generally did well. It's that little loss of inhibition that lets you test out ideas and follow up threads.

edit- although re-evaluating to the tone of your thing maybe that's not the best advice. It happens, it's not easy to break. Find something in what you're working on that you can extrapolate a little and go from there. If you can get someone knowlageable to read what you've done, bouncing ideas can either give you good advice or strengthen your convictions. Just try stuff to break the cycle.