The "I need to vent" thread

Missy

Update: sat outside with my neighbor to have a beer tonight and was rubbing the ash from my eyes after only minutes. High pressure system is supposed to lift tomorrow afternoon and hopefully then the wind will push the smoke away a little bit. I have NO reference with which to explain to you how bizarre it looks outside. Incandescent orange light even now at quarter to 10 at night.

Here are some pictures of what it looks like here.

This is a great example of a before and after by a day

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

So last Saturday, my sister's sister-in-law, Tiffany (29) was in a car accident. She and her three year old daughter Nora, died at the scene. The five year old son Marshall, is in critical condition, in a medically induced coma in Minneapolis. Last night, Michelle and I made the drive to the celebration of life for Tiffany and Nora, which was terrible. Not that it was badly done, but watching a mother, who I knew and a baby girl who had played with Ben be memorialized fucking killed me and my wife.

Tonight as I'm leaving work at midnight, Rodney, my brother in law texts me and asks me for a favor. He wants me to call him and read a letter that his brother Adam (Tiffany's husband, Nora and Marshall's dad) had received from a friend (this person was sitting with Marshall as the rest of us were at the wake.) out loud to him. It goes as follows:

"I spend the day sitting here with the strongest little boy I know, Super Marshall! While I'm here watching him be a real life version of the heroes he admires so much, my thoughts drift to the harsh reality of the tradgedy that has occured.

No matter how fast his bodily injuries heal, this pain will last forever. No burden a father or son can carry alone. No matter if from krypton or earth, super soldiers nor men of Iron can't handle this sort of heartbreak alone.

I ask all of those that have been touched by the two beautiful souls we are celebrating the life of today, to carry on the abundant loving spirit that they both have shared with us so freely. To be a hero by sharing a kind word, by listening to a friend that needs an ear, by giving a hug even if your not sure it's needed, just because you can. To do this is to let them live in us all. Somehow I think they would both love that.

With that, I say goodbye to Nora Hutton and Tiffany J. Hostetler. I will be a better person for just knowing you both, our time was too short. I will love deeper, laugh louder, and be more kind to my core. I will be every bit of a hero I can possibly be for Super Marshall, Adam Hutton, and all those devastated by this terrible accident.

It's ok to fight some battles alone, for others you assemble a team. Huttons, Hostetlers, and friends, together we can conquer this. We push on with heavy hearts, eyes full of tears, and enough strength to wrestle the hulk. I love you all."

We spent the next hour, he at home, me sitting in my chef's blacks in the parking lot, talking about family, fatherhood, being a brother and bawling.

I just thought, that since Marshall is a little geek in training, you guys might like to see the way our dumb little shared hobby can effect people in real ways, even when life seems darker than you can possibly believe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In another example of my Provincial politics going awry, the Minister of Technology admitted that it "misplaced" an unencrypted hard drive featuring the private information of every student in my province from 1986-2009. This obviously includes me. For a breach of confidentiality or privacy against ONE of my students, I would be punished, but it looks like he's going to skate after doing it to hundreds of thousands.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Was informed this morning that the store I work in will be closing.  It was a move that was clearly happening. Various factors had me believing that it would happen more Aug-Sept than now.  I have been surprisingly zen about the entire thing.  On the 'half-full' side, we still have about three months left and I was 'guaranteed' a spot in the band of the Titanic.  If I cannot find something (anything) in three months I am a complete failure at, well, life.  On the 'half-empty' side, this fucking sucks.  This has been my primary employment for the past twelve years.  Resume is looking kinda sparse.

• 1 month later...

I guess this isn't the most dire but still. The D&D group I'm running has started to become annoying. An in-game argument became an out-of-game argument, I'm not sure if I like how the group is trying to push the game, and I'm pretty positive I got indirectly accused of a couple of things in the process. A part of me just wants to say fuck-it, I'm done, find a new group but still. I'm mostly just aggravated at this point. I'm also trying to decide if I want to do something to completely break their plans using another player who was disagreeing to prove a point. Namely, they decided to go in guns blazing because, "Will usually doesn't let us sneak in because he doesn't like that." So, I'm thinking of asking the player that wanted to do things the smart way but got out-voted, "Want to do things the smart way?"

Caught a matinee viewing of The Jungle Book the other day and the couple a few rows behind me just would. Not. Shut. UP.

I ended enjoying the film in the end, but I seriously was tempted to do bodily harm to the couple as we left the theatre. This has happened before at this cinema (which also charges a $12 total for a small popcorn and a small drink, both of which are about a liter in volume), so henceforth, I'm no longer going to it.

Edited by You Know Who

Between having to move house in a few weeks and having finals coming up, I've been feeling really overworked lately. It doesn't help that of the four finals I have, one's a fifteen page paper, and the other is an in-class essay exam. Fuck me lightly, the next few weeks aren't gonna be fun at allllllll.