The "I need to vent" thread

Missy

9 hours ago, James D. said:

One of the main reasons our educational system is a joke in this country. I watch videos on Facebook of how students in, say, Japan attend school and I just marvel at how many light years away we are from even approaching that level of quality.

I wouldn't look to Japan for educational excellence. That's a system built on regurgitating facts and working yourself to death. Look instead to Scandinavian countries for real educational excellence. 

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A Korean exchange student we had was considered a very good student and she described her system as "study study study exam study study study exam study study study exam." When I asked her how much she actually retained or was able to use (for example, no labs in their sciences) she said almost none.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2017 at 10:55 AM, Donomark said:

Call-Out Culture is a terrible thing. Do you know why she was called a racist?

She was playing Little Red Riding Hood (who was also a werewolf). She would go around asking children if anyone had seen her grandmother. Apparently someone asked her "What color is the grandmothers skin?" She just responded with "white." Even though she is white and she played a 18th century German Little Red Riding Hood, the man who asked her the question was outraged and told her she was racist for not having a black grandmother.

By that logic, shouldn't all the anime, Godzilla and kung-fu movies I own be racist?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Good: Got my first car today. 

Bad: After I had a huge fight with my mom. 

Good: My car's the nicest one my family has. 

Bad: Unfortunately, the dealership signed me up for auto insurance because I didn't know if I was able to be covered by my parent's insurance. 

Worse: It's almost $700 a month, and I very much do not have that kind of money to spend right now. 

Small victory: I'm more than likely going to be able to cancel it and switch over to my parents insurance for the time being. 

Uncertain: If I'll have to spend the money on the insurance payment, and if I'll be able to get it back when I cancel. 

• 1 month later...

Been dealing with a dog that will not shut the fuck up.  It is my neighbors dog.  We share a common wall and when the neighbor goes out, the dog will whimper and whine and bark.  For hours on end.  I had informed the landlord as I could never catch the neighbor at home.  Today was the fourth (possibly fifth) time I made a complaint.  I made a point that I really did not want to file a noise complaint, but I had inquired at the police station if I had a valid claim.  And indeed I do.  But I really do not want to go that route.  But whatever was being done to stop the nonstop barking was clearly not working.  I think I have been pretty reasonable up until now so I may need to take that step.

Magically, I get a knock on my door.  Oh hey, it is my neighbor I've never seen before with a small little dog.  A tiny girl, maybe 19, with a small little dog that is a recently retired service dog that is apparently going thru anxiety issues.  Wonderful.  She apologized and offered the explanation/excuse.

And here I am now.  If the dog barks again I can either just sit on my couch and grow increasing annoyed or be a massive asshat and file a noise complaint on a young girl and her anxiety ridden service dog.  Fuck.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2018 at 7:58 PM, Professor said:

Been dealing with a dog that will not shut the fuck up.  It is my neighbors dog.  We share a common wall and when the neighbor goes out, the dog will whimper and whine and bark.  For hours on end.  I had informed the landlord as I could never catch the neighbor at home.  Today was the fourth (possibly fifth) time I made a complaint.  I made a point that I really did not want to file a noise complaint, but I had inquired at the police station if I had a valid claim.  And indeed I do.  But I really do not want to go that route.  But whatever was being done to stop the nonstop barking was clearly not working.  I think I have been pretty reasonable up until now so I may need to take that step.

Magically, I get a knock on my door.  Oh hey, it is my neighbor I've never seen before with a small little dog.  A tiny girl, maybe 19, with a small little dog that is a recently retired service dog that is apparently going thru anxiety issues.  Wonderful.  She apologized and offered the explanation/excuse.

And here I am now.  If the dog barks again I can either just sit on my couch and grow increasing annoyed or be a massive asshat and file a noise complaint on a young girl and her anxiety ridden service dog.  Fuck.

FUCK. THIS. DOG.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe talk to her about finding the dog a new home? Clearly, the young woman’s lifestyle is not helping with the anxiety, if it is that freaked out when she is gone. It would probably be in the dog’s best interest to be somewhere else. 

Not to mention your own mental health. 

• 7 months later...

Last year I had to deal with the ER for the first, and second, times in my life.  With that, it was also the first time dealing with the billing.  Now, I have to say that being below an income threshold has granted me free treatment.  I cannot understate how awesome and lucky that is. 

However, I went to the ER in May and Nov.  Today, I got my 1st bill from Radiology from my May visit.  11 Months later.  1st bill.  Not only that, this bill has already be resolved in December after they had sent the thing to collections, I made payments, the hospital got it out of collections and I was issued a refund check.  And then they bill me for it again.

And in the course of settling the May visit, they now say the Nov visit (which was resolved in Jan) is still open, with no record of anything despite confirmation numbers that state otherwise.

The one saving grace thru all of this has been one amazing woman in the financial assistance office.  She has taken care of everything on more than 1 (probably 17) occasions.  But it really shouldn't come down to that.

• 4 months later...

By now some of you may've heard about the Catholic School in Nashville, TN banning Harry Potter books, stating that the spells in the books "conjure evil spirits".

The helluva it is...this was MY school that I went to, from 1999-2003. I even started reading the first four Potter books from the school library.

I'm completely thrown. Our former pastor was essentially fired out of the church for being pro-LGBT and stating that women should be priests (all of which happened while I was away at college), now this nonsense.

I really want to investigate, conduct some sort of interview or something since I have a platform for it. But for the moment I'm weirdly, incredibly pissed off at the utter stupidity of this.

Moreover, why now in 2019? I know that there was always this furore towards the Harry Potter books, but it's been 10 years since they were relevant and the film franchise is basically winding down.

I know the answer to "Why now?" is usually "Trump/the culture Trump has engendered" but I'm not even sure that's the reason here.

This is actually worse than I thought. Apparently the new reverend has had a history of weirdly militant, devil-obsessed behavior that has actively resulted in abuses of the schoolchildren. This is coming from the parents themselves.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4x06mfh9uwqcx4d/St. Edward Parent Statement.docx?dl=0

A group of concerned parents responded to the decision in an anonymous letter saying they are concerned about the pastor's decision but not surprised. In the letter, they explain this wasn't Fr. Reehil's first controversial decision or action.

In fact, a group of parents have previously met with representatives of the Diocese of Nashville on three separate occasions since the fall of 2017 regarding the pastor's teaching methods and the following issues:

• Psychological, emotional, and spiritual abuse of the school children through his messages in and outside of the church, including in the confessional, that has resulted in children seeking professional counseling. This is including, but not limited to, public assertions at school Mass that Lady Gaga made a pact with the devil for fame and suffers from fibromyalgia as a result
  • Bullying of students, teachers, and parents who disagree with his views
  • Irresponsible administration of the school resulting in plummeting school enrollment and mass departure of long-term faculty

I cannot believe this is happening 

• 1 year later...

Time it takes Twitter to suspend someone that threatens to beat and rape my three year old daughter: 6 hours. 

Time it takes them to suspend me for telling Donald Trump to die: 5 minutes. 

I'm out. I quit. Fuck social media. Jack and Asshole Robot from Facebook can blow me.