Episode 23

RSS

Poor Superman. His life is never easy. In this batch of episodes, the intergalactic bounty hunter known as Lobo is hired to abduct Superman ("The Main Man"). Then Clark discovers that his high school sweetheart, Lana Lang, is now dating Lex Luthor ("My Girl"). Darkseid is supplying mob boss Bruno Manheim with advanced weaponry ("Tools of the Trade"). And someone has taken control of the Parasite's body ("Two's a Crowd"). [ 2:23:23 || 65.6 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.worldsfinestpodcast.com/episodes/wfp_023.mp3

Hello guys

Congrats on the promotion James, hope you'll still have time for this podcast.

Wow guys, freezing rain is the worse, my immune system is tricky and whenever it rains, I get sick. I hate it too. Hope Jen is doing better.

Wow, Chris great review on The Batman's version of The Terrible Trio and yes, this version is better than B: TAS's version of The Terrible Trio.

I really hope that The Batman's ending isn't a result of the Writer's Strike and that we will be getting a Justice League spin-off.

The whole issue with The Joker and what should be done after The Dark Knight. What they should do is just put in a story that he changed his face, the only thing is, is that now the actor would have to portray The Joker, while imitating Heath Ledger's Portrayel

Well here are the reviews:

The Main Man (parts 1 and 2), OMG, this is a great episode. Lobo is one of my favorite characters. The Preserver isn't much of a character, but hey, it was a way to introduce Lobo and now Superman has animals to place in his Fortress of Solitude.

Brad Garrett is terrific, he brings a whole new dimension to a character that could have been easily forgotten.

The animation is great, the voice acting is good.

In response to Superman's ability to fly a rocket, remember in Superman: The Movie, when Kal-El is going to Earth he is being told the history of Earth. Perhaps this is the same thing that happened to the DCAU Superman. nyway, this is my overall score for the episodes 8 out of 10.

My Girl, this episode was decent, my whole thing is, when did Lex suddenly start dating Lana, it does seem like Lex does seem to care for Lana, but how long has it been since the last episode? Joley Fisher portrayed the voice of Adult Lana Lang and does pretty good. I don't know, I don't have much else to say on this episode. I give it 5 out of 10.

Tools Of the Trade, like you say in the podcast, the best thing going for it, are the debut of key characters in the Series. The whole Darkseid/Manheim alliance in my opinion is just Darkseid looking over the Earth's defenses and using Manheim as a way in. The character of Dan Turbin is definately a one of a kind character. We don't see characters in cartoons that we are allowed to connect with and than kill them. I will be giving this 5 out of 10.

Two's A Crowd, pretty good episode. The voice acting is decent, the animation is stellar, but my problem is (other than what James pointed out), is that since when would any jail allow an inmate have cable TV in a cell? I'm not having much to say on this episode that isn't being said already. Another 5 out of 5

Hope Jen is doing better.

The doctor prescribed her medicine only yesterday, so she's still a bit under the weather.

What they should do is just put in a story that he changed his face, the only thing is, is that now the actor would have to portray The Joker, while imitating Heath Ledger's Portrayel

But Joker's face is already scarred. You want to do that again... and in a movie that will most likely feature Two-Face?

In response to Superman's ability to fly a rocket, remember in Superman: The Movie, when Kal-El is going to Earth he is being told the history of Earth. Perhaps this is the same thing that happened to the DCAU Superman.

Could be, but his trip to Earth in STAS seemed much shorter thanks to the wormhole. Remember, in the original movie we saw him age in the rocket, hence the reason he was three-ish when he was found by the Kents. Here he's still a baby, so I doubt he went through Jor-El's in-flight learning program.

when did Lex suddenly start dating Lana, it does seem like Lex does seem to care for Lana, but how long has it been since the last episode?

Good point, but she seems like one of those girls that guys -- no matter who they are -- fall hard for. Except Clark, and that's what bugs Lana.

Dan Turbin

It's Turpin. :laugh:

since when would any jail allow an inmate have cable TV in a cell?

What you have to remember is that Parasite is in isolation. Due to the nature of his power he can't be released in gen-pop. So to appease him, yeah, I can buy him being allowed a TV.

Regarding The Batman ending: Most animated series end at 65 episodes (these days they're more likely to end at 52). I'm not 100% certain why but it has something to do with the fact that 65 episodes can be aired Monday to Friday for 13 weeks. Only very successful shows like Ducktales or BTAS make it past the that limit. With 5 seasons of 13 episodes The Batman has reached 65 so it's ending. Apparently the show's being replaced by a Brave and the Bold animated series set in it's own continuity (the story's at http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/news.php...news&id=66)

Thanks for joining, Matthew!

That 65 episodes thing is news to me. Most other shows want to make it to 100 episodes, because that's the magical syndication number, and I assumed cartoons were the same way. But now that you point it out, yeah, I see that most cartoon series end after four or five seasons, adding up to 52 or 65 episodes.

That actually makes a lot of sense; I have heard the 13 weeks thing before. Saturday morning cartoons tend to get made in seasons of 13 episodes, and I know that in the 80s, when sydicated cartoons really got up and running, the first season was always 65 episodes for that very reason (13 weeks of no reruns).

E-Mails

I think the blood sample thing was a pretty good point, actually. Interesting knowing people are still so early in the podcast.

My E-Mail, forgot all about it. Yeah, but the pod-cast did say that the pop-up said that it began with S:TAS. I’ll address the rest in the E-mail itself.

That’s some really cool info about Officer Henderson.

And yeah, Smallville Lana is horrendous. Seriously, it seems like they went with Kristin Kreuk for sex appeal. Same with Tom Welling I suppose, but Tom Welling can actually act. Seriously, Kreuk acts every single scene the EXACT SAME WAY. It’s horrible.

Whoa, the mp3 is really cool. Glad that someone was able to make you guys feel better about the Jack Napier thing.

Episodes

The Main Man- Already! Yes, this one is pretty great. Great music, great voice acting, and, for Koko/DY, great animation. Yeah, this one is good stuff. I don’t know if you’ll go into this, but I also like that it sets up some major continuity in ‘Batman Beyond’.

I really love your review for this one.

Yeah, the Clark Kent thing is hilarious. It shows just how awesome this version of Clark Kent is.

Yeah, now you’re talking about Starro. I hope you remember that he comes back in ‘Batman Beyond’. Yes, you did.

My Girl- I LOOVVEE this episode. It has beautiful TMS animation, gorgeous backgrounds, awesome character progression and it’s just all around excellent stuff.

Great note about the sound effects too.

Tools of the Trade- Good episode. Nothing incredible, but it does introduce Turpin, who’s awesome, and it does have some good direction and the awesome Darkseid reveal at the end.

I understand Mike’s issue with it being forgettable and just sort of average.

I think that Darkseid was just toying with Manheim. He knew it wasn’t going to succeed and I feel that he knew that Manheim was a loser; I feel he was just simply trying to observe Superman, plain and simple.

Was Turpin in the comics? I don’t think so. But yeah, I LOVE Turpin, simply because what happens to him in ‘Apokalips…Now!’ is the greatest thing in the entire DCAU.

Yeah, the Superman shadow shot is so awesome.

Good for you Mike, S:TAS is awesome.

Two’s A Crowd- Best Parasite episode by far. Best animation, direction, and it’s quite psychological. Just all around good stuff.

Bah, all the things that James is complaining about are awesome comic book elements that aren’t supposed to make logical sense, but that are just plain cool. I mean, random chemicals don’t turn people into parasitic monsters, so I don’t see why over-the-top weaponry should be criticized and not things like, you know, people with metallic skin and things like that.

But I do agree about the animation in this episode. That’s TMS for you.

Scores

The Main Man- You: 10 / Me: 8

My Girl- You: 8 / Me: 9.5

Tools of the Trade- You: 7 and 6 / Me: 7.5

Two’s A Crowd- You: 6 / Me: 8.5

In terms of the 65 episodes syndication thing, I do know that it is used, for example...

-When Sailor Moon first came out in North America, they only released the first series and half of the second series, clipping a few out to have a package of exactly 65. This of course meant they stopped about halfway through a storyline but for whatever reason, 65 is the full syndication package many like to use.

The pop-up did not state the DCAU started with Superman: The Animated Series. It said:

Along with Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series established the new DC animated universe... which has expanded to include Batman Beyond, Justice League and Teen Titans.

Lobo says a lot of mumbled stuff, so I doubt he actually swore. Regardless, what swear word do you think he says?

When super man comes out of his little rocket, and lobo attacks him before they are taken captive of the preservers ship, Lobo clearly says to superman "I am going to kick that little red @$$ of your's"

HA! Love that car! The front looks like an evil smiley face.

ae49_1.jpg

brcustomcoupe.jpg

This vehicle (The superman car) is recycled from Batman:The Animated Series (BTAS). Originally conceived as Bruce Wayne's Custom Coupe, the Matrix Conversion Coupe was recolored and slightly retooled to give us Clark Kent's car. As the original BTAS vehicle came with an exclusive repaint of the Bruce Wayne figure, the Matrix Conversion Coupe came with an exclusive Clark Kent figure