The Doctor Who thread

5,158 posts in this topic

Posted

Just wondering if there was any Doctor Who fans on the bord :)

Posted (edited)

Chris "Darque Edge" Brosnahan wrote this for the mainpage a few months back, so he's obviously into the show. And he's tried to get me into it (specifically, the new one), but I just can't seem to find the time to watch the episodes.

(Welcome to the boards, by the way.)

Edited by Yoda

Posted

I would definitely try to find the time mate. The new shows rock my socks :)

(Thank you ;) )

Posted

The continuity scares me. Normally it doesn't -- I mean, I read comics -- but it does in this case.

Posted

While it doesnt contradict the continuity you dont have to know any of it to enjoy the show.

Check out some of the trailers :yes:

Doctor Who

Posted

A friend of mine has been getting me more interested in watching it. The couple of episodes I saw from the most recent series were very entertaining, and you really didn't need to know anything about the continuity.

Posted

I might just be a little bit of a Doctor Who fan.

Bad Wolf.

Posted

I might just be a little bit of a Doctor Who fan.

Bad Wolf.

Just a little :P

Bah and you were my Doctor Who leader into following a Doctor Who obsession.

Posted

Posted

The show was always meh to me, not bad, not great, but it had it's moments.

Posted

The show was always meh to me, not bad, not great, but it had it's moments.

We talking new Doctor Who, or old Doctor Who?

Posted

The continuity scares me. Normally it doesn't -- I mean, I read comics -- but it does in this case.
The continuity should scare you. The show is built around the concept of a time traveller who states he can't interfere with the natural evolution of things, but each and every episode violates that philosophy. "Chaotic" doesn't begin to describe the possible outcome--and that's just based on the televised episodes. Throw in the radio dramas, comics, and novels, and you've got something which can only charitably be called "a total mess". As a long-time fan, Doctor Who continuity scares the bejesus out of me, when I think about it.

But the beauty of the new show is that while it doesn't go out of its way to dispute any of the old continuity, it doesn't draw your attention to it, either. It's specifically designed to start with Episode One ("Rose") and be able to make entire sense out of everything going on. At the end of the day, the reason the show's survived for the 40-odd years that it has is because it has an entirely simple concept at its core, which can be reinterpreted anew by each passing generation. If you really try to make sense of the continuity, in toto. you will be driven mad. Take each episode as it comes, however, and you'll have a helluva good time.

Just remember that, by definition, a show about a meddling time traveller can't really have true continuity, and you'll be fine. Go down the path of these people who attempt to build a timeline of events for a time traveller, and you'll end up hating the show.

If nothing else, you've gotta watch it for the curiosity factor alone. At the time it was cancelled it was the longest-runnng science fiction show anywhere in the world. By a long, long measure. But it was also held up as the exemplar of all that was cheap and shoddy about TV sci-fi. Now, it's winning the British equivalent of Emmies for its quality. As a writer, you've gotta watch it to see how a very old, but dubiously-regarded show, was suddenly translated into must-see TV.

Posted

It premiers Friday on Sci-Fi, and my DVR is already set to record it!

Posted

When you're watching, bear in mind that there are a couple of mis-steps in the first episode - the belching bin is cringeworthy. It's a reintroduction to the character, rather than a great story in its own right. The second episode is a big step up, and the third episode is spectacularly good.

You know Chris Eccleston, the guy playing The Doctor, right? He's in one of your favourite films after all, Yoda...

Posted

You know Chris Eccleston, the guy playing The Doctor, right? He's in one of your favourite films after all, Yoda...

Yup. I was sad to hear he left.

Posted

Don't be - his season was a thing of glory, and his successor is even better.

Posted

Okay.

Posted

So, have, like, any of you ex-colonials actually got round to watching this?

EDIT: Okay, so Yoda meant THIS friday, not last Friday.

Go watch it.

Bad wolf.

Bad Wolf.

Bad Wolf.

Posted

Yup. I was wrong. :doh:

Posted

By the way, two episodes will air this Friday: Rose and The End of the World.

Posted

So, did anybody watch this?

Posted

They're on my DVR. Jen and I will watch them within the next day or two.

Posted

I actually forgot about this, and only remembered when I was watching the hilarious comedy Freddy vs. Jason and they showed only about 70 commercials for it, so I'll try and get to it in the next couple of days.

Posted

Damnit, totally forgot about it. Are they gonna replay them on mondays, like they do with Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis?

Posted

It doesn't look like it.