The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The rumor I'm hearing is that the BBC is exerting pressure on Chibnall to go with the safe choice. UK ratings are flattening and with Series Eleven shaping up to be a soft reboot a la Series Five, the story going around is that they're skittish about casting outside their comfort zone.

Yeah I watched those two seasons this past week. She'd be great but it would kill chances for a third season, which she writes, directs and stars in. It's basically a cartoonier and less de-constructive version of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, but it is funny and she is terrific. I don't think she'd take the role though.

No comment on Michaela Coel, because I don't know her as an actor, but that clip from Nerdist felt like a paid advertisement from Netflix.

EDIT: That said, having just watched this clip from Chewing Gum, I think she'd make a very fun Doctor.

• 2 weeks later...

Playing catch up as I'm a week behind, but I wanted to compliment a scene in the third episode.

When Bill is having her PTSD moment of seeing a kid die. The acting by both Mackie and Capaldi was terrific, and the scene as written was wonderful. I love how Capaldi wasn't the unfeeling dick he was in season 8. He puts forth effort in trying to address Bill's feelings. But his patience for it was very limited, and he could only give a damn to a point. It was such a 12th Doctor moment, where I couldn't see any other Doctor react in the same way, even if they felt the same. He wasn't cold, but he couldn't help coming off as brusque, but at the same time you knew exactly where he was coming from. I thought that was fantastic writing and acting.

• 1 month later...
On 2017-6-25 at 3:07 AM, Donomark said:

The penultimate episode for the season was 5 minutes of awesomeness in the beginning, ten minutes of awesomeness at the end, and thirty straight minutes of blue balls in the middle.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you for maybe about 5 minutes of those blue ball times. Bill's awakening and exploring of the hospital was straight up terrifying and set up the feeling of terror very well. The rest of it was fine but quite prolonged.

Also happy to see that with John Simm's return so to has an RTD style amazing cliffhanger! 

4 hours ago, Pan-dub said:

I'm gonna have to disagree with you for maybe about 5 minutes of those blue ball times. Bill's awakening and exploring of the hospital was straight up terrifying and set up the feeling of terror very well. The rest of it was fine but quite prolonged.

Also happy to see that with John Simm's return so to has an RTD style amazing cliffhanger! 

I agree with that guy, whoever he is. Apart from the grammar pertained in the final line.

5 hours ago, Pan-dub said:

Very true. Hopefully there isn't also an RTD style incredibly disappointing resolution to said cliffhanger.

Because wow, that cliffhanger.

Unsure how to have the spoiler block, so I'll be vague. I really enjoyed this finale. It can be argued that much of the build up led to a not-that-massive payoff in regards to the Cybermen. For all the talk, they didn't pose as big a threat as I feel they did during RTD's run. But I love the emotion behind NuWho so all of the big showstopper performance bits I adored. Loved the scenes between Simms and Missy. Loved all of the Doctor's scenes with Bill, and Capaldi was simply killing it near the end. I have to say, I found Bill's ending to be unbelievably sad. Companions have had rough way outs before, but I feel Bill was the best "normal" companion. She never got all badass and became the Doctor like I feel every previous one in the new era has, so I was really wanting to see her get a happy ending. 

Gotta say, while I was guessing they'd echo Pertwee's final scene with Sarah Jane with the whole tears thing, I loved the reference to Logopolis in the TARDIS at the end.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, The Master said:

I have no idea who she is, but I don't care. It's awesome to finally have a female Doctor!

She's best known for being a cast member of Broadchurch with David Tennant.

I've really only seen her act with a broad west country accent but I like her.