The Doctor Who thread

I'm sure there's backlash out there somewhere but I can't find it on twitter amongst all the hundreds of comments who seem to be responding to an anti-female doctor sentiment that hasn't yet had a change to emerge. I'm sure that there's people who are against this for one dumb reason or another, but I'm even more sure that everyone blowing their stack and shouting "YA BOO SEXISTS" doesn't exactly paint the most evenhanded picture of this either. Not a shot at you Mike, more the thousands of people who don't event watch the show and are just hurling abuse at anyone who might theoretically object.

Actually the only negative comment I found was a woman saying it was a sexist male producer bending to public demand, and that real feminism is coming up with a new show with a strong female lead. Think she's missing the point.

See this is why twitter is bollocks.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw more than a fair share of "DOCTORS AREN'T WOMEN" posts online in the week leading up to this.

Which makes this even more awesome.

I swear I was not going to watch this next season if the Doctor was gonna be Store-discount Tennant. Talk about a terrific shot in the arm!

5 minutes ago, Stavros said:

So what are we thinking costume-wise, casual or suit?

Keep the "Scottish Widow" look from the trailer.

"I'm the Doctor, I'm over 900 years old and believe me, I'm the right person to speak to about pensions".

I care more about continuity of fashion than gender. Hoping they don't stick her in heels and a dress (obviously they won't). Iconography of television heroes still has a specific shape and feel, it's unwise to venture too far from it.

And if that's the Scottish Widow look it's only because she's wearing Capaldi's old clothes.

Capaldi in his suit was the first modern Doctor to look badass. Tennant and Smith had that Geek Chic thing going on. Eccelston looked like just a guy.

How are they gonna approach her costume? Is she gonna look geeky or professor-y? Will she wear a cape? Tie? Hat? Mood ring?

4 minutes ago, Stavros said:

I care more about continuity of fashion than gender. Hoping they don't stick her in heels and a dress (obviously they won't). Iconography of television heroes still has a specific shape and feel, it's unwise to venture too far from it.

And if that's the Scottish Widow look it's only because she's wearing Capaldi's old clothes.

I expected the Yanks not to get the reference, but you disappoint me.

I'm backing dungarees to make a comeback.

3 minutes ago, slothian said:

I expected the Yanks not to get the reference, but you disappoint me.

I'm backing dungarees to make a comeback.

I got the reference.

And stop trying to bring dungarees back. They're never going to let you wear them to work!

Can I just say how happy that I'm not the only one putting serious thought into the costume? Like, seriously, I know how gay it is but the thing I'm looking forward to most about a female Doctor is the costume potential. Sure, a Doctor needs an iconic costume but if I were the costume designer for this series, I would revel in how much freedom was just given to me. Hell, we're talking about a person who is a woman for the first time, of course she should try different styles. Does she enjoy a dress that flows or one that shows off her curves? For that matter, dresses or pants? Blouses or t-shirts? Letting her hair run wild or wearing a hat or a scarf? And then you have Jewelry. Rings, broaches, bracelets, necklaces. All kinds of new avenues open.

13 minutes ago, dc20willsave said:

Can I just say how happy that I'm not the only one putting serious thought into the costume? Like, seriously, I know how gay it is but the thing I'm looking forward to most about a female Doctor is the costume potential. Sure, a Doctor needs an iconic costume but if I were the costume designer for this series, I would revel in how much freedom was just given to me. Hell, we're talking about a person who is a woman for the first time, of course she should try different styles. Does she enjoy a dress that flows or one that shows off her curves? For that matter, dresses or pants? Blouses or t-shirts? Letting her hair run wild or wearing a hat or a scarf? And then you have Jewelry. Rings, broaches, bracelets, necklaces. All kinds of new avenues open.

Iconography in TV heroes is complex, especially if you want to make them larger than life. They need to typically be more practical than for films, but stylish and individual. 

In this case I kinda think the theme is best served by either going casual with a nifty coat or appropriating and recontextualising men's styles ie some sort of suit and tie combo. I'm definitly fine with a feminine edge but I think a dress overdoes that slightly. Maybe as required in the context of an episode but not for the standard look. It needs to recognisably be The Doctor.

Met someone whilst playing a megagame who is influencing my thoughts in this direction, a journalist who had switched to wearing mens clothes and examining the practicality of the switch and the response it got.

Female doctor in a suit and tie could be badass. But then, I'm not an expert and am absolutely open to having my mind changed if the right look is hit upon.

2 hours ago, dc20willsave said:

What did you think of Missy's "Dark Mary Poppins" look Will?

Once I realized what they were doing with it all, I loved it. It was a bit of a response to Capaldi's costume so it worked on that level but also just as a costume for The Master, independent of him. Honestly, it also helped that I had always seen that kind of costume if we ever did have a female doctor. So, now that we do, I do want them to go in another direction.

BBC has up an interview with the new doctor.