The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Back on my Classic DW bs, continuing the Sixth Doctor (I tend to watch a season at a time, then move on to a different Doctor). The Two Doctors was one I enjoyed, quite surprisingly. Having the most normal multi-Doctor story with these two TARDIS teams was an interesting choice. It's slow, and I can see why people think it's boring, but I enjoy it for being a nice change of pace. I think people would be into it more now if it was a Big Finish audio, to be honest.

The 45 min episode structure works with the length of the overall story much more than it would have as a 6 parter. I already watch Classic Who two parts at a time, but formatting episodes like that from the start hasn't been a bad thing in my opinion. It's a bit of a shame they went back to the original format.

Tackling the theme of colonialism through cannibalism and consumption in general, in a story set in Spain, was interesting. It has the Saward era's signature nastiness (I feel so bad for Nicola Bryant with how literally every serial has someone preying on Peri), but like Vengeance on Varos, I think it earns it more than something like Warriors of the Deep.

Timelash is Timelash, but I enjoyed Paul Darrow hamming it up as Tekker. And I really like the idea of coming back to a planet where a past Doctor has had a major impact. I'm sure this is an inspiration for Moffat with his idea of the word Doctor and all its connotations coming from him.

Side note, the copy of this that I had...acquired, featured the digital effects instead of the original ones, and I gotta say that they looked era-appropriate, I didn't even question it until I remembered BOTI making fun of the tinsel they originally used.

I may or may not watch Revelation of the Daleks since I've seen it before, but I'll just say that S22 is a noble failure of an experiment. It tries a bunch of different things, but the emphasis on violence and nastiness while also having a Doctor who's just mean and a companion who's suffering, is off-putting to say the least. I'm looking forward to the Trial season though.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I watched Dr. Who and the Daleks for the first time since I want to listen to BOTI's coverage. I think it's a decent rework of the first Dalek story in a more cinematic format but man, Ian and Barbara's characterizations were godawful. Who are these bumbling fools, when the original pair were two of the most competent companions in the show's history? I will say though, Susan was surprisingly delightful. Peter Cushing was good, but no substitute for Hartnell in my opinion.