The Doctor Who thread

Don't stress too much, guys - so far, they're all stand alone episodes, and you can still easily catch up.

Third episode is one of the highlights of the season, based around Simon Callow as Charles Dickens. It was written by one of the 'League of Gentlemen', if that means anything to Americans.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay, this week coming, you guys have THE HIGHLIGHT of the entire season.

The episode 'Dalek'.

When you think Daleks, think the UK equivalent to Klingons, or The Borg. A piece of our culture. These things have been about since the 1960s. And, for the last twenty years, they've largely been a joke. This was their reintroduction. And they kicked ass.

This is all you need to get up to speed. The Doctor has referred to being the 'last of his kind' due to a Time War. Rose is the Doctors travelling companion.

THAT IS ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW. This has been referred to by critics as one of the best single episodes of SF in the last decade.

WATCH THIS. Seriously. It is awesome, and it is entirely stand alone.

• 2 months later...

SERIES TWO AND THREE SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!

New Doctor Who Companion Named

Who will be sharing the TARDIS with Tennant?

by Jason Van Horn

July 5, 2006 - It wasn't too long ago when Doctor Who fans found out their beloved Billie Piper, who has played Rose Tyler, The Doctor's constant companion for the past two seasons of the newly redone Doctor Who series, would be leaving the series after the final filming of season two, even though early reports had her coming back for the third season as well. Many people thought that meant Rose would be killed off, and if this past episode ("Army of Ghosts") is any indicator, in which she personally narrates that this is how she died, it looks as if that will be exactly the case.

But what is The Doctor without a companion? And so many were left wondering who would fill Piper's shoes. Would it be someone from The Doctor's past? Would it be someone completely new? Well, in a way, it's a little from column A and a little from column B.

In a press release issued by the BBC, newcomer Freema Agyeman is confirmed to play Martha Jones, the new companion to The Doctor. Doctor Who fans have already met Agyeman as Adeola in episode 12 of the current series (the one that just aired - "Army of Ghosts") of Doctor Who, but as viewers have already seen, this character suffered a terrible fate at the hands of the Cybermen. And so Freema will be playing a brand new character in series three named Martha Jones.

Executive producer/writer Russell T Davies says: "The search for a new companion had been underway for some time when I first saw Freema Agyeman, she had come in to audition for the part of Adeola in series two. Watching her during filming confirmed what an exciting new talent she was so, under cover of darkness, we called her back in to audition with David for the role of the new companion. It was an immediate and sensational combination, and her range, presence and charm blew us all away. David and Freema are terrific together, and we're delighted to have chosen her to join the Doctor for more adventures in time and space."

But don't go expecting to get your new companion fix just yet.

"The first scripts have been written, and Martha's a brilliant addition to the TARDIS crew, the perfect foil for the Doctor," said Davies. "Martha won't be featured in this year's Christmas special; we've got another surprise in store for that."

As for the recently named companion, Freema Agyeman had this to say on her new position. "I've been keeping this secret from my friends for months - it's been driving me mad! Auditioning with David in secret down in Cardiff was unbelievable, but I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd actually become the new companion. Billie rightfully built up an amazing fan base and she will be missed, but I hope the fans are willing to go on new adventures with me. It still hasn't quite sunk in, I'm sure it will slam home first day on set when I'm stood gazing at David Tennant!"

• 11 months later...

I thought I'd resurect this thread instead of making a new one. Does anyone watch the show as it airs in The UK or should I just wait untill the show airs here in the states? There is alot of stuff i'd like to talk about but I'll wait if i'm the only one.

I almost gave up on Dr Who because the first half of this season was so poor, but with only one episode to go the last three have been as good as anything on TV this year. The single episode featuring the lonely assassins was sci-fi horror at its best, and this current four-part storyline is the best thing they have done with Tennants' Doctor yet.

On a wider note the Doctors new assistant is very good, its just the horrible writing that crippled this show earlier on. Right now Who is the best thing on TV every week.

Also "Do I just have a face that no-one listens to? Again?" Is that a previous thing? Which Doctor would that be?

I almost gave up on Dr Who because the first half of this season was so poor, but with only one episode to go the last three have been as good as anything on TV this year. The single episode featuring the lonely assassins was sci-fi horror at its best, and this current four-part storyline is the best thing they have done with Tennants' Doctor yet.

On a wider note the Doctors new assistant is very good, its just the horrible writing that crippled this show earlier on. Right now Who is the best thing on TV every week.

Spoilers for you americans who arent on the ball.

The turning point was Human Nature, the episode where he becomes human to escape the family of blood. Every episode from that point is great. Yeah when I first saw Blink, it had become my favorite ep of the new who...until The sound of Drums. I really like who they got to play the Master, and I like the whole Joker/Dr. Doom mix of a character he is. The season finale looks great!

Not the biggest Doctor Who fan in the world but the last three or four episodes have been superbly done by all involved especially the move to bring back a previous Capt. Also Doctor Who reminds me alot of Smallville in the way that when they are purposly building towards something big they can do so excellently, its just when they are doing slower episodes they dont have the best guys to do so

• 1 month later...

Trust me on this.

The first part of 'Human Nature'. The week after that is the concluding part. It's a beautiful two parter, but if you were ever considering jumping on this bandwagon, this is the time to do it.

Following THAT, is the single best self contained episode of SF I've ever seen.

Blink. It's got the best original idea I've seen in years. It's genuinely quite scary, and it'll fuck up any kids you make watch it.

Seriously. Tape it, watch it, whatever. This is as good as TV gets.

Y'know, Doctor Who was pure crap last season right up until this point. Then it became the best Sci-fi show there is. This two-parter, Blink and the following four-part finale really restored my faith in this show, with Blink in particular being absolutly pant-wettingly terrifying. Seriously, its the creepiest episode of TV since the Buffy episode Hush. Not to mention that the first non-dalek non-cybermen season finale totally rules.

Watch this. Also when it comes out over there watch Jekyll. That is a freaky-good sci-fi/supernatural show.

Well, according to the scifi.com website, this saturday's episode is '42', which was - sadly - complete crap.

But the episode after that is 'Human Nature', which really isn't.

Oh, and DO NOT look at the Sci-fi.com website previews of episodes, because they give away a huge spoiler about the final threeparter.

Y'know, Doctor Who was pure crap last season right up until this point. Then it became the best Sci-fi show there is. This two-parter, Blink and the following four-part finale really restored my faith in this show, with Blink in particular being absolutly pant-wettingly terrifying. Seriously, its the creepiest episode of TV since the Buffy episode Hush. Not to mention that the first non-dalek non-cybermen season finale totally rules.

Watch this. Also when it comes out over there watch Jekyll. That is a freaky-good sci-fi/supernatural show.

Yeah Blink is awesome, you don't have to know anything about Doctor Who to watch that show. Jekyll is already showing on BBCamerica but since I missed it's premire, I watched all six episodes on dailymotion great show.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just watched the Doctor Who episode "Planet of the Ood." At the end one of the Ood suggested that the Doctor's "song" must end soon. The Doctor was none too pleased to hear this, and, frankly, nor was I. So I checked Wiki to see if David Tennant was leaving the show, and found two bits of information.

This following quote was on Tennant's page:

In an interview on Jonathan Ross' BBC Radio 2 show, Catherine Tate said that Tennant may be leaving after the next series. However this has since been denied by Tennant in an interview he gave to Ripley Today. He had also mentioned to the TV-Guide What's On TV, that he is going to keep the public guessing as to when he resigns from Doctor Who.

Spin or not? I don't know.

Before that, however, I noticed that the final episode of this season will be called "Journey's End," which gives credence to my fear that we might be seeing a new Doctor quite soon.

Does anyone have more info on this?

Somewhere else I think I read that they were slowing down the production schedule so Tennant could perform in plays, which gave me hope that he'd stick around for a while.

EDIT

From the Doctor Who episode page:

David Tennant is confirmed to star through to 2009. However, during the second half of 2008, Tennant is committed to a Royal Shakespeare Company production of Hamlet. Following the conclusion of filming for the fourth series, the 2008 Christmas special (featuring Tennant) is currently filming. After the Christmas Special, three Bank Holiday specials (also confirmed to be featuring Tennant) have been commissioned to air throughout 2009. The programme will then return in 2010 with a fifth full series. Russell T Davies has suggested that the programme is expected to follow this pattern, of full series interspersed with occasional year-long breaks, for some time into the future.
Edited by Yoda

Tennant has been pretty clear in saying that he hasn't decided if he's doing the fifth season after the year of specials. He loves being the Doctor - he's a huge episode-quoting fanboy himself - but the job is notoriously exhausting, and he acknowledges as much. The production team is leaving as well, so this may just be an appropriate time to move on, especially if you consider the fact that he's a hotly-sought after, in demand actor right now, and knows full well the tendency of this role to typecast actors.

While I really love Tennant's take on the role, don't want him to leave, and would not wish anyone the experience of having to follow him, he'll have done 3 1/2 to 4 years, which is about an average tenure for an actor in the role.

How many regenerations are we up to? I think the max for a Time Lord is 13.

Tennant is 10 out of 13, but it'll take a half decent writer about two minutes to come up with a way around that. One theory that's been floating around is that since the 12 regeneration limit is an arbitratry one enforced by the Time Lords to prevent anyone from living forever and becoming too powerful, or some such, the fact that there are no Time Lords to enforce this means that the Doctor is free to do what he needs to do.