The Doctor Who thread

5,185 posts in this topic

Posted

He is way too safe a choice.

Posted

The rumor I'm hearing is that the BBC is exerting pressure on Chibnall to go with the safe choice. UK ratings are flattening and with Series Eleven shaping up to be a soft reboot a la Series Five, the story going around is that they're skittish about casting outside their comfort zone.

Posted

Man, I might not tune in if the Beeb are just ordering Chibnall to re-do the Tennant era again. At least initially. If word of mouth is good, than cool, but that does not fill me with positive vibes.

Posted

On the entire other end of the casting speculation spectrum, The Nerdist and a few other sources are claiming that Michaela Coel (Chewing Gum) has been approached for the part.

Posted

That'd be interesting. Netflix just started showing Chewing Gum; it's not bad.

Posted

Yeah I watched those two seasons this past week. She'd be great but it would kill chances for a third season, which she writes, directs and stars in. It's basically a cartoonier and less de-constructive version of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, but it is funny and she is terrific. I don't think she'd take the role though.

Posted

No comment on Michaela Coel, because I don't know her as an actor, but that clip from Nerdist felt like a paid advertisement from Netflix.

EDIT: That said, having just watched this clip from Chewing Gum, I think she'd make a very fun Doctor.

Posted

HO man, if you only knew how that episode ends........

Posted

Posted