Star Wars: The Old Republic

Portfolio.com just published a short excerpt of its interview with EA boss John Riccitiello who tells the site that it's "got two of the most compelling MMOs in the industry in development" including "the one that people are dying for us to talk to them about -- in partnership with Lucas, coming out of BioWare." One doesn't need to connect too many dots to arrive at the conclusion that BioWare is returning to the Star Wars universe with a Knights of the Old Republic MMO.

Of course, this product has been rumored for ... well, for a long time. Separately confirming a BioWare / LucasArts collaboration and a BioWare MMO project lead to certain obvious conclusions and countless other rumors and leaks seemed to do everything but confirm (and some denied) the project's existence. Though it would appear Riccitiello wasn't quite ready to put a name on that project – it's Portfolio.com connecting those dots – by referencing that this is the game that "people are dying for us to talk to them about" he clearly seems to be pointing to KOTOR.

[update: We've just spoken with N. Evan Van Zelfden, the writer of the report, who told us that when asked specifically if this game was "KOTOR Online", Riccitiello responded unequivocally, "Yes." So, there you have it – sounds like we can take off our skeptical glasses.]

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/17/porfolio...ding-kotor-mmo/

Damn, Sony must be mad. Everyone is going to quit Galaxies and play this one. Well, those that are left anyways.

• 2 months later...
BioWare's Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic MMO game is set to be 'officially' unveiled later this month, CVG has learnt.

The long-awaited online Star Wars - perhaps the games industry's worst kept secret - is being developed by BioWare Austin, which has been tinkering away behind the scenes on the title for over two years.

Officially the company hasn't admitted to any sort of Star Wars link with its MMO, but EA boss John Riccitiello let slip earlier this year that the RPG developer was in fact working on the online KOTOR, claiming that it is "quite possibly the most anticipated game, full stop, for the industry."

But it looks like the game won't (officially at least) be a secret for long. LucasArts and BioWare look set to lift the lid on a KOTOR MMO within the next 30 days.

Backing up all this is the strongest confirmation yet (other than EA's boss saying it's in the works, of course) from UK newspaper, The Daily Star, of all places.

A column that appeared last Saturday reports that the rag is soon off to San Francisco to "file an exclusive report on the game", after stating that BioWare is working on "a MMO of Knights of the Old Republic".

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=198467

A while ago, there was an interview with one of the SWG devs where they thought SWG had too much "Uncle Owen" and not enough "Luke" in it.

Problem is, most Star Wars fans I know don't WANT the "Luke" experience. I know I liked being a droid engineer, and there were a lot of crafters who just played the hell out of the crafting game, for the sake of building a financial empire.

I don't think a KOTOR MMO would be fun at all.

A while ago, there was an interview with one of the SWG devs where they thought SWG had too much "Uncle Owen" and not enough "Luke" in it.

Problem is, most Star Wars fans I know don't WANT the "Luke" experience. I know I liked being a droid engineer, and there were a lot of crafters who just played the hell out of the crafting game, for the sake of building a financial empire.

I don't think a KOTOR MMO would be fun at all.

I played Galaxies both before, and after they changed the whole game around. While I liked it better before, it was just too overwhelming. I remember getting lost just driving around while mining.

Like I said before, I can't imagine Sony is going to be happy with this game coming out. If they don't try to block this game with a lawsuit, then I'll take that as a sign that Galaxies is done.

edit: Anyone know if those private servers are still up where you can still play the game pre patch?

• 3 weeks later...
Play Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ and forge your own Star Wars™ saga in a story-driven massively-multiplayer online game from BioWare and LucasArts. Explore an age thousands of years before the rise of Darth Vader when war between the Old Republic and the Sith Empire divides the galaxy.

Choose to be a Jedi, a Sith, or from a variety of other classic Star Wars roles, and make decisions which define your personal story and determine your path down the light or dark side of the Force. Along the way you will befriend courageous companions who will fight at your side or possibly betray you based on your actions. Together, you will battle enemies in dynamic Star Wars combat and team up with other players to overcome incredible challenges.

Join us. Your personal Star Wars saga begins in Star Wars: The Old Republic.

http://www.swtor.com/

• 2 months later...

I just really can't wait for MMOs to reach the level in which I don't have to be the questing barbarian fighting rats for weeks on end. I played Diablo II on battle.net almost a decade ago and it feels like the genre hasn't really done much different since.

I want a world so open that I can be what NPCs usually are, like the shopkeepers, like the blacksmiths, or even the grunts. I guess I want some actual, you know, role playing. I want some wizard to come to my store and try to haggle with me for a new robe or be that one guy guarding the door before the big boss that the Jedi has to get through. I have no desire to invest 200 hours in something only to have some shiny armor that a 12 year old in Nebraska got six months ago.

I'm still waiting for the MMO in which I can be a mild mannered shop keeper by day and evil serial rapist by night.

Until that happens, Dubs will never be an MMO gamer.

I'm sure there is a game like that in Japan. Those crazy sex fiends over there. I guess that's what living on an island does to you.

I would lay down actual cash money on there being a game like this in Japan. That whole island is fucked up.

I'm still waiting for the MMO in which I can be a mild mannered shop keeper by day and evil serial rapist by night.

Until that happens, Dubs will never be an MMO gamer.

I'm sure there is a game like that in Japan. Those crazy sex fiends over there. I guess that's what living on an island does to you.

I would lay down actual cash money on there being a game like this in Japan. That whole island is fucked up.

... it's called Fatal Relation, and you're not a shop owner, but it's close enough.

I just really can't wait for MMOs to reach the level in which I don't have to be the questing barbarian fighting rats for weeks on end. I played Diablo II on battle.net almost a decade ago and it feels like the genre hasn't really done much different since.

I want a world so open that I can be what NPCs usually are, like the shopkeepers, like the blacksmiths, or even the grunts. I guess I want some actual, you know, role playing. I want some wizard to come to my store and try to haggle with me for a new robe or be that one guy guarding the door before the big boss that the Jedi has to get through. I have no desire to invest 200 hours in something only to have some shiny armor that a 12 year old in Nebraska got six months ago.

I seem to recall a game like that once, but it didn't last because most people really want the normal MMOs. I can't recall the name though.

As for the shop owner rapist game.I'm pretty sure it exists in Second Life. Trust me, even Japanese people get scared of what goes on in that game.

I seem to recall a game like that once, but it didn't last because most people really want the normal MMOs. I can't recall the name though.

The only one like that that I remember was canceled in development, and the name of that one escapes me too.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I played the first 6 levels last night. I love it so far. The way they handle the story is the best thing about it. It feels like a regular RPG, but it's still an MMO. I've done nothing but solo so far and it's great. My only gripe is how the enemies just stand around waiting on you to attack them instead of patrolling.