Greatest soundtracks from old school games

James D.

I recently procured the Donkey Kong Country 2 soundtrack and I'm still amazed by how awesome the music in this game was. And of course, everyone knows my love for the Sonic 3 & Knuckles OST.

What games' soundtracks do you still love to this day despite them being perhaps 15 or more years old?

You've at least played a video game before, right?

RIGHT?

Anyways.

I'd put Yasunori Matsuda's work on Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross up against any game soundtrack in existence, and most movie scores for that matter. There's not a bad track in the bunch, and the way he was able to make such subtle cues to the previous game in Cross (sometimes with only a few notes) was a work of goddamn brilliance. That man is physically incapable of making bad music.

Mega Man 2 is probably the best of the 8 bit era. Every stage theme has been remixed to death and never gets old.

Always had a soft spot for the original Sonic. The ambiance of the Myst series was always really well done.

In terms of music games, Bust a Groove and Guitaroo Man are excellent.

A lot of the Nintendo stuff is pretty iconic, but I'm frankly tired of hearing most of it.

I could go on forever, really.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It would be cheating to say Final Fantasy or any Zelda because both are givens in the awesome soundtrack category. For that matter, there are few RPGs that I would not put in the awesome soundtrack column.(Magus's Theme from Chrono Trigger was my ringtone for like a year) So, outside of RPGs, I would definitely say that Kirby Superstar had some great tunes in it. I am in love with the Gourmet Race tunes in particular.

• 2 months later...
Well, Uh... I've never owned a video game system, or handheld. So I dont really know.

Were you Amish or something?!!

Not everyone wants to shell out the couple of hundred dollars for a system and not everyone's parents felt the need to. Who knows? Some people liked going outside. I personally haven't bought a current system generation since the 64. Nothing wrong with any of that. Besides, a couple of rulebooks and some dice and you can play something a million times better than most video games.

On topic, listening to the Castlevania Symphony of the Night Soundtrack. Great music for a pronominal game.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

It would be cheating to say Final Fantasy or any Zelda because both are givens in the awesome soundtrack category. For that matter, there are few RPGs that I would not put in the awesome soundtrack column.(Magus's Theme from Chrono Trigger was my ringtone for like a year) So, outside of RPGs, I would definitely say that Kirby Superstar had some great tunes in it. I am in love with the Gourmet Race tunes in particular.

i Showed "Distant Worlds" to my parents, a few years ago, and they were surprised. They could not believe that video game creators were capable of composing and scoring such a beautiful piece of music.