What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's definitely a show that takes a bit of time to grow. Even setting aside that it's probably the most queer friendly show on TV, it's that rare show where even the minor characters and villains get complexity to them. The fandom... can be a little unsettling but then I avoid Tumblr so I don't have to deal with it quite as mich. I watched the first couple of episode, enjoyed it ennough but then lost track of it before getting back in about the time of the season 1 finale. The musical number in that episode got me interested enough to go back.

Edited by dc20willsave

I'm keeping Stephen Universe in my back pocket as something to binge at a future date.

Right now I'm running back through the first three seasons of Alias. One of my favourite shows, balances pulpy action with the soap opera extremely well and you can't beat the guest stars. Roger Moore as a villain? Come on. Bradley Cooper as a series regular, I just always thought he could be a star way before his film career took off. Gina Torres as a recurring villain.

It's just the best cliffhanger show too, it's like an old black and white serial in that way. There's just so many damn twists. And the best part, the only tv villain I'd rask up there with Gul Dukat in terms of complexity and longevity, Arvin Sloane. He is just both wonderfully dark and yet still warm when it suits him.

Post season 4 it's on a slide so I don't know if I'll go that far. Season 5 is basically like the final season of Scrubs with all the cast changes.

• 2 weeks later...

This season of Ash Vs. The Evil Dead was fucking excellent. Even better than the first (which I loved). An amazing marriage of special effects and visual effects. I only hope that if they do make the sequel to the Evil Dead remake and Army of Darkness (bridging the continuities, which is my understanding) that they include the extended cast from this show, because they add so much.

This season of Ash Vs. The Evil Dead was fucking excellent. Even better than the first (which I loved).

I'm sitting here trying to think about my favorite episode from the season and I cannot pick.  When it ended, I wasn't as high on the season, but yeah, better than the first.  Also, Pablo is a great sidekick. 

• 4 weeks later...

About halfway through season 2 of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. It's a show that requires moving past the title, because it's all about deconstruction. It's very incisive and investigative into someone with genuine problems, but seeks to have her work her way through them, all while being very funny. It's also a musical comedy, and a fine one at that.

About halfway through season 2 of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. It's a show that requires moving past the title, because it's all about deconstruction. It's very incisive and investigative into someone with genuine problems, but seeks to have her work her way through them, all while being very funny. It's also a musical comedy, and a fine one at that.

https://media.tenor.co/images/1c7a535dfc61e352557f53c12d7acb85/tenor.gif

Because we backed the Kickstarter, Wendee and I got early access to the premiere of the new MST3K. Long story short, they did it. This is for real. It's been updated but they haven't sacrificed the "we made this in our garage" aesthetic, and the feel of it is pitch perfect. The ratio of jokes that work to ones that don't is pretty much on par with the old series. The Mads are fine if barely onscreen, but the fact is Jonah Ray does a creditable job as the new host (Wendee exclaimed "We're five minutes in, and he's already better than Mike!", although she and I are on opposite fronts in the Joel vs. Mike debate) and the bots are pretty good (especially Crow, who sounds a lot like Bill Corbett, although that's not hugely important to me, but the characterization is spot on). In short, I am quite definitively no longer worred.

It's back.

Watched the first season of "Todd MacFarlene's Spawn" last night. Overall I really dug it. It has terrific atmosphere, it knows when to have music and when to hold it back for the dramatic sequences, and the voice acting is the best I've heard since B:TAS. Keith David is to Spawn what Conroy is to Batman, and you just feel priveledged to hear such a great vocal personification of the character. Everyone speaks with a natural, realistic quality that sells the intense crap that goes on. The Violator/Clown and Billy Kincaide are also very well cast.

It's not perfect though. I keep forgetting this was on HBO so every now and then the relentless swearing and TnA throw me off. I read the first 20 issues of the comic way back when and I don't remember it being as adult as this series. The dated nature of Spawn has some bits like Cagliostro and Jason Wynn come off as a bit cheesy. I would say the main issue is the animation however. They tried really hard to have everything as pitch black and dark as MacFarlene's original artwork, but the actual animation is bad. The characters look too much like your generic 90s kids cartoon designs, and it works against the realistic voice acting, making it come off as silly sometimes. It's hard to take someone seriously when the actor is giving an Emmy-worthy performance but the character is so goofy-looking and limited in how he/she expresses him/herself. It's the biggest drawback, and keeps the show from being a classic. It doesn't go for MacFarlene's cartoony style like the MAXX series did, which was straight up pasting Sam Keith's comics onto the screen. Overall it's still a great presentation of the character, if a bit slow. I also question why they changed the way Billy Kincaide died. In the comic, Spawn fucking annihilated him in issue #4. In the show, it takes until the season finale and Spawn walks away after he's killed other people for far less. I truly don't understand the reason for the change.

Mostly doing a rewatch of Archer and a first time watch of Father Brown. The latter is a BBC detective series based on the stories of G K Chesterton and is good background noise/comfy mystery viewing. The title character is played by Mark Williams (Ron's dad in the Harry Potter and Rory's in Doctor Who) and he's always fun to watch. Fortunately, it's not as preachy that I thought it might be, given that Chesterton was a prominent theologian and Christian apologist. That said, I have a hard time taking episodes about relics too seriously.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently been re-listening to a good chuck of Bigger on the Inside's coverage of Classic Doctor Who, and on the heels of finishing Mike and Dan's coverage of the Peter Davison era, I decided to watch The Caves of Androzani. I had seen a few times before but could never got over the hype behind it or its production values. I gave it my undivided attention on this viewing, though, and it finally clicked with me.

All the guest stars are fantastic. I've always liked Sharaz Jek (who I could sworn was Jeremy Irons the first time I saw it) but I was particularly engaged by Stotz, Salateen, and Morgus on this watch. Stotz's actor I recognized from other memorable roles (see Last of the Mohicans and The Damned United) while Android Salateen reminded me quite a bit of Ash from Alien. And while both characters are based on Shakespeare's Richard III, it wouldn't surprised me if the creators and lead actors of either version of House of Cards saw this episode and took inspiration from the way Morgus was portrayed.

And Peter Davison was great. Much more cocky and flippant than I had remembered, and undeniably resolute and heroic.

And THOSE LAST THIRTY SECONDS. I always listen to them twice or thrice whenever I listen to BOTI 77, and I rewound and re-viewed them again when watching this.

One question of Mike, Dan, and other people who've seen the entire classic series: Aside from Mission to the Unknown (in which the Doctor doesn't appear at all), is this the only really Doctor-light story from the classic series?

One question of Mike, Dan, and other people who've seen the entire classic series: Aside from Mission to the Unknown (in which the Doctor doesn't appear at all), is this the only really Doctor-light story from the classic series?

Doctor-light stories weren't a thing back then. The general thinking at the time was "his name's in the title, that's who people are tuning in to see". However, in the black and white era, the seasons were 45 weeks straight with no breaks, and so every few months there would be an episode or two where the Doctor would go off to investigate something elsewhere, or get knocked out by something and not wake up for a couple of weeks, so the actor could have some time off and not lose his mind. The stories were filmed episode by episode back then, not in location blocks (all the exteriors one day, all the TARDIS scenes another, etc.) the way they would when it went to color (and how they do it now), so they had that option.

That said, for the first half season or so, the show was much more of an ensemble piece and you could be forgiven for thinking Ian Chesterton was the main character. It wasn't unusual for Hartnell to be offscreen for a very long time.

I have been watching a few of the Max Fleisher Superman cartoons. The animation is beautiful. I did not believe the claim that these cartoons inspired the look of Miyazaki's robot until I saw it now I am convinced. (If you can listen carefully you can hear Miyazaki stomping his feet in protest)

I wonder if Lois had the reputation of being the ultimate damsel in distress when the show came out. In the episodes I have seen her:

- Shoot train thieves with a tommy gun.

- Fight a racist cartoon while her hands were tied.

- Infiltrate a Nazi headquarter in order to give the location of a pending U-boat raid to the R.A.F.

- Tie up terrorists while in a out of control rocket car.

also she totally knows that Superman is Clark.